Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 02:41 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
You are worth more than the clearance rack.
How I see my worth has nothing to do with how much I pay for my clothes or anything else.

I'm just more intentional with my money. Instead of buying the dress at $99 a few weeks ago, I wait until it's 75% off. I only buy things I really like and keep several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 02:56 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
In my mid 20s, I built a pretty large wardrobe. Probably spent $10,000+ over a 24 month span.

Other than replacing some socks, underwear, and everyday type shoes... I've spent basically zero in the last decade. A few tshirts as travel souvenirs and maybe 1 or 2 pairs of jeans because I wear them to work every day.

Because my wardrobe was so big, most of the clothes still have a lot of wear left in them. I would imagine in another 10 years I'll need to start buying clothes again. At that point, probably a few hundred dollars a year.

Old 09-30-2022, 03:05 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
There’s always a way! Check out YouTube. There is a ton of great advice on there. My trouble spot is my belly, so I’ve gravitated toward high waisted pants which thankfully are in style right now.

Learning how to dress for your body changes everything!
Now, try having a pot belly and no breasts....see what I mean? Hard.

Old 09-30-2022, 03:06 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Interesting thread. I love clothes. But my budget doesn't much love paying retail for nicely designed clothes. So I'm a consignment shop/thrift shop fan. I have a very nice wardrobe having spent a paltry amount.

I buy certain designer brands. Some have been never worn with tags still attached.

Others have had gentle use.

I likely spend several hundred a year on clothes. Excluding shoes and underwear, socks, etc. which I buy new. As I'm retired from office settings, write at home, and have a quiet social life, my clothing needs are simple.

Sometimes I kind of over-dress just to go to the library or grocery store so my wardrobe can get some exercise and fresh air!

Old 09-30-2022, 04:37 PM

68 posts, read 45,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Now, try having a pot belly and no breasts....see what I mean? Hard.
It’s just about seeing your innate beauty and emphasizing that. Cut and color can help shape your body. Dark colors can hide things, but then little details - maybe buttons or ruffles at the shoulder - can lift the eyes up toward your face.

Old 09-30-2022, 04:50 PM

68 posts, read 45,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How I see my worth has nothing to do with how much I pay for my clothes or anything else.

I'm just more intentional with my money. Instead of buying the dress at $99 a few weeks ago, I wait until it's 75% off. I only buy things I really like and keep several years.
That makes sense. A lot of people just don’t feel they’re worth anything more than the leftovers on the sale rack. Then they impulse buy things because they’re on sale, buying 5, $20 shirts they only half like, and that don’t fit well when they could have had one really nice shirt they’re obsessed with. I used to be a sale / TJ Maxx shopper and hated my closet, which has led to this latest adventure!

It is quite thrilling to wait and get a piece that was on my list for major sale. All about intention.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
If I had $1K every month to spend just on new clothing then I'd commission a dressmaker and shoemaker to have a variety of clothing and foot wear custom made for me. They'd be created according to my individual needs in designs and fabric preferences that suit me to a T. I like the idea of designing and wearing unique originals for my wardrobe that I'll be guaranteed nobody else is ever going to be wearing.

I take good care of my clothes and make them last me a long time so I don't actually need to buy new clothes often and I'm a casual but practical dresser. I don't want to appear spoiled or pretentious to other people so it's always been really easy for me to avoid high end fashions and labels. After reading this thread I used the calculator and averaged out what I spent on new clothes in the past 3 years and including a few flighty and impractical items I bought on impulse it worked out to be around $350 a year spent on new clothes and foot wear to replace worn out clothes.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:00 AM

13,637 posts, read 10,040,055 times
A couple of pounds, honestly.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:05 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,104,199 times
As little money as possible.
I have everything I need (not “want;” NEED) and I stay off garment websites. Also, all garment catalogs go straight into the recycle bin, thus stopping the see-want-buy syndrome.
My oldest dress (Gudrun Sjoden) was purchased in 2015.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:36 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
As little money as possible.
I have everything I need (not “want;” NEED) and I stay off garment websites. Also, all garment catalogs go straight into the recycle bin, thus stopping the see-want-buy syndrome.
My oldest dress (Gudrun Sjoden) was purchased in 2015.
Same here (mostly as I'll buy investment pieces here and there), although I do look through catalogs, magazines, and websites in order to see what's in style this season in order to coordinate clothing that I already own with the current fashions. I never went through an "atheleisure" phase even during COVID, so there was no need to revamp my wardrobe once things returned to some sense of normalcy.

So far as higher end clothing is concerned, one of the local private schools which is located in a very affluent community not far from where I live does an annual clothing sale that has yielded some excellent buys at mall-store-on-sale prices.

It also helps that I've been pretty much the same size/shape since college with a few articles of clothing that I'll rotate in and out when my weight fluctuates one way or the other.

So back to the O.P.'s query: most months I don't spend a dime on clothing; others I'll drop anywhere between twenty and a couple hundred dollars with the months with higher spending usually involving purchases of footwear. I loathe cheap shoes, so I'd rather spend well and spend rarely on them. The thrift shopping scene around here is very good and my mother an excellent seamstress, so there's no need for me to spend a lot of money on quality and well-fitting clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty