Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 05:59 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I get all my clothes at thrift stores. I may spend $50 at most for the year.
Same here. $1000 a month, that's approaching my rent payment.

"Clothing is a big creative outlet for me, and something I truly enjoy even though it also stresses me out because I can never find the things I want."
I think you mean shopping, not clothing. I don't do recreational shopping but I understand it is a hobby for some people, and they get that dopamine rush when they find something new.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:44 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
"Clothing is a big creative outlet for me, and something I truly enjoy even though it also stresses me out because I can never find the things I want."
I think you mean shopping, not clothing. I don't do recreational shopping but I understand it is a hobby for some people, and they get that dopamine rush when they find something new.
Why can't she mean clothing? Some people enjoy putting together carefully curated looks. It sounds like she gets a vision in mind for a look, but can't find the pieces to realize that vision. That's not necessarily the shopping that is the outlet for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 08:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I really don't like shopping, but I've been spending about $200 a month on clothes the last few months and donating my old clothes to a local charity. I'm very frugal on clothes so I only buy from the clearance racks at the local department store or I buy a couple things at Walmart when I'm grocery shopping. Love Walmart's sleepwear and leggings, super soft.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:10 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Wow. That's a lot (first post). I buy clothes sporadically. I think it's been almost a year at least since I last bought a sweater. Can't find anything I like. If I had to pick an average I'd say maybe $50 per month. But usually it's like a couple hundred here, a hundred there, $30 here for a top one month. Like that. So $50/month sounds like a good stab at an monthly average for me. I typically wear my clothes until they have holes in them. And then, as long as the holes aren't where you can see them--I'll still keep on wearing them!

Old 09-30-2022, 08:17 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
I hate shopping, buy tops and some pants at Sam's. Just bought a top, khaki cargo pants and a buffalo check shacket from Nordstrom Rack, all fit well and good quality. 100.00. Probably won't buy much more this year. Needed new tank tops, bought on line from Walmart. Bras from Amazon.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:19 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Zero dollars spent on clothes. Pensioner here.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:56 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
I also favor organic / sustainable materials when possible because cheap clothing has many chemicals - including formaldehyde - that can cause cancer or disrupt hormones.
i recently saw a video that said manufacturing a cotton grocery bag actually has a larger carbon footprint than making one from plastic; you would need to use that cotton bag over 1000 times to make it a "greener" choice. Organic cotton is even worse because organics have a lower yield per acre.

Most chemicals are added in the process of making the cloth, not in the sewing. The fabric for both high-end and cheap clothing is made using the same processes, often in the same factory. Paying more doesn't get you fewer chemicals. Always wash clothes before wearing, and avoid dry-cleaning completely. If you want to avoid chemicals, that is.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:00 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I've been spending more on clothes recently, because for the past few years what I've bought was appropriate for pandemic WFH, and my regular wardrobe is like a time capsule from 2019. That said, I'm trying to make better choices on what I do buy--trendy, cheap, fast fashion is a problem on many levels--so I'm looking to buy new, quality things to work in to what I already have and not treat clothes as disposable.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:40 PM

65 posts, read 45,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't even imagine spending 1K a month, for a year, on clothing, and I'm someone who looks "put together", and fairly well dressed all the time.

OP, I think you're way overpaying for labels.

I do agree with your statement of never being able to find things you want. I can't BELIEVE how hard it is, in the last several years, to walk into a retail store and find a piece of clothing I want to buy. So I'm right there with you on that.
Right? I don’t know why it’s so difficult.

As for overpaying - Although you can definitely look put together and beautiful at any budget, and not everyone can afford high-dollar items - I certainty couldn’t for most of my life - there is a massive difference in quality at brands like Sezane versus a mall brand like Loft or Gap.

There is a beautiful level of detail not present in other brands. The fabrics are softer and feel so good on your skin. The cut and tailoring is far superior, making you look and feel better in your clothes. The brands themselves are often smaller, which is nice to support rather than giving money to global conglomerates.

The fabrics maintain shape and withstand washing, making the clothes look good and last much longer.

I agree that there is a certain point past which increased price does not correspond with an increase in quality, there are instances where items don’t warrant the price, and similarly, there are still high-quality items available at lower price points, but for the most part mid-range brands offer quality that I believe to be well worth the price.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:43 PM

65 posts, read 45,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've been spending more on clothes recently, because for the past few years what I've bought was appropriate for pandemic WFH, and my regular wardrobe is like a time capsule from 2019. That said, I'm trying to make better choices on what I do buy--trendy, cheap, fast fashion is a problem on many levels--so I'm looking to buy new, quality things to work in to what I already have and not treat clothes as disposable.
I feel this. I was dealing with some health problems and didn’t shop at all for a few years. When I did it was sweats and t shirts. Now I feel like it’s an opportunity to reinvent myself through style and also build a high-quality timeless wardrobe that will last.

Even if I had a lower budget, I’d much rather have a few high-quality items than a closet of fast fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty