Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I worked at a tourist spot this summer and I was appalled at how many dudes wore above the knee shorts. It's not a good look guys. It's too feminine. Homosexuals love it. But other than that, just stick to real shorts that fall directly on the knees or slightly underneath. Guys aren't supposed to accentuate their legs.
I really think you need to stay within whatever community produced you and your attitudes. Homophobia does not play well, in Mainstream America.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
There are two Americas, now. In White, Middle-to-Upper-Class America, shorts above the knee are perfectly acceptable. Colors in menswear are acceptable. Well-fitted clothes are acceptable. In fact, the trend among the higher classes of athletic young white guys is for shorter shorts. It sets them apart from "thuggish" guys.

For the "others" (people in bad neighborhoods, or people who belong in bad neighborhoods), long shorts, shapeless clothing, and colorless grey/black clothing seems to reflect fearfulness and insecurity. All of the current Body Image hyper-insecurity in lower class males (including the white ones) is symptomatic of deteriorating social conditions and changing demographics in America.

Believe me: if there's truly a "majority" of young women where you live, who disapprove of above-the-knee shorts, they're the kind of women whose brothers think it's cool to push dogs into the street, to be run-over. In other words, you need a change of address, not a change in your clothing. And by "young", are you thinking in terms of still in highschool? Highschool girls live in extremely small worlds, totally ruled by conformity. Their opinions are utterly valueless. Just comfort yourself with the sure knowledge that those little skanks will soon be on welfare, and ballooning to two and three hundred pounds - within the next decade. It's amazing how quickly women like that become unattractive and over-the-hill. Fried food and sugary sodas will make their skin bad. They'll be so ugly and pitiful and unwanted... Let them have their little laughs while they can. Very soon, they'll know nothing but sadness and desperation.
I am not sure about the neighborhoods for I never lived in some of the ones you describe. But I can say for a fact that women truly appreciate the fitted/tailored look on men, rather than loose.

I put a pic up in my album where I have brooks brothers shorts which end a few centimetres over the knee. It's got pineapples embroidered in them

Shorts should end at the right spot or they look really awkward and old men wear that. It's also a sign of being fashionably challenged. But nothing wrong in wearing them though. Also, when shorts are on, socks should not be visible. It's more awful when dudes have loose over the knees shorts and have socks popping out of the shoes and worse, going all the way up the ankles

Old 11-11-2013, 04:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
The overwhelming majority of shorts that I wear for everyday casual wear in the summer are tennis shorts like this.

I also wear tennis shorts for playing tennis and they also cross over extremely well for distance running which I also am obsessed with.
When I'm out with my wife and or friends I combine tennis shorts with form fitting polo shirts or a athletic cut t-shirt.

Trust me when I say I am extremely cool and comfortable in the "" correct places "" wearing these shorts.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:30 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
In general, women like men to wear as much as possible...suit, coat, tie, hat, turtleneck, etc. And Men like women to wear as little as possible.

In much of the world, men don't wear shorts.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I have worked in the marine industry for years, and the dress attire of choice for most of us has been shorter shorts like the ones Magnum is wearing in that picture. It is just what we wore, and I had lots of pairs of Sportif 7 pocket shorts that I wore every day at work and also when I was not working. They were super comfortable and wore like iron.

As for women not liking shorter shorts, I found the opposite. I would find a woman looking at me and then she would come up and ask where I bought those shorts. When I would show her the ones we sold like them in the clothing section she would drag her husband over so she could pick out some for him.

One day a lady kept looking at me and she finally said "I'm sorry for staring at you, but I like those shorts and wanted to get some for my husband." I said "Damn, I thought you were hitting on me !"

But now that I have gotten older I don't wear them any more, some things are better left to younger people.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 11-11-2013 at 05:54 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Rugby players wear above the knee shorts. Women love rugby players. They love them in gear. So I dunno about women not liking them.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
There is an old man in my neighborhood who I always see walking around in shorts coming down to just below his knee. White socks that come up to same spot. If he gets any sunlight at all it will result in a one inch band just below the knee.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I got a pair of these very short running shorts, and I ran in them for about a year or two. They're so comfortable and easy to run in, but people kept smiling or making jokes as I ran past. Ultimately I started wearing longer shorts for jogging, and I use these for indoor exercise on the elliptical machine. Yeah, I'm a wimp and gave in to peer pressure. They really are very short; basically just a piece of cloth to cover your bums and keep you from getting arrested for indecent exposure!

There was a great New Yorker cartoon from many years ago depicting an older, distinguished looking gentleman in a business jacket, shirt and tie, and matching shorts, and his wife was saying, "You've got to be kidding!"

As a guy, I like longer shorts for my own use because they're just comfortable and I like how they don't hike up around my crotch when I slide into a chair and so forth.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM

GQ magazine: The Well-Dressed Rebel

Check out the third guy. This is how older men should be and I see myself there in a decade or so

Shorts, blazer, tie pin and formal shirt. I will admit it's a little stretch because shorts need casual blazers, I do a lot of shorts with boating blazers, which look super cool and take the weekend look to a whole new level. But the shorts.... they end at the right spot, just over the knees.

GQ is not the best, they tout some bizarre combos as dapper at times and I disagree with them 50% of the time, but it's still the best go to site for stags who are clueless and clueful

The well dressed rebel is how any man should be. Always take what is dapper and customize it to add some personal flair.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 AM

A prime example is wayyy down. Wearing horizontally ringed socks with vertical wide pin-stripe pants is one of the biggest faux-pas in socks. It has to be polka dots or paisley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty