Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 13,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve7005 View Post
Here's what I know about Sunland Estates...

My parents also bought lots in Sunland Estates over 40 years ago. The purchased 2 lots. I have the original promotional map they got with the property that shows all 39 "units" planned just south of Horizon Blvd, and where their lots sit. Horizon City was a brand new master planned community still in development when they purchased that was supposed to take off and never did. Sunland Estates was hoping to capitalize on what was going on with Horizon City.

In talking with the Horizon City Homeowners Association, they described the Sunland Estates area as completely undeveloped, no roads, nothing. They described it as plain old desert.

My Dad was contacted a year or so ago by a listing service that promoted vacant land all over the country for "RV parking". Naturally they wanted several hundred dollars to advertise. The problem is the land is no where's near any power or amenities and I can't imagine why anyone would want to park their RV in the middle of nowhere.

I am still trying to determine exactly where the lots sit on the map and trying desperately to find a plot map, but no one I have talked to can provide much info.

The land is worth almost nothing according to the tax collector and we haven't been billed for any taxes in years.

I am tempted to take a plane out to El Paso and just take a look at this "boondoggle" Anybody interested in "the heirs to Sunland Estates reunion"?

If anyone has more info, drop a note here. This is the first time I have ever posted to board like this. Maybe the rest of you can join in.
Do you have an update?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 03:34 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
Happycamping - don't wait for your gram to pass- have her deed it to you guys while she is still alive-it will save you time and trouble. Usually there is some benefit it keeping it in her name such as if it was homesteaded ( taxes) but not here.

LOL I was just taking a break from preparing deeds and decided to take a break - check El Paso and ran into this. - Its not difficult to do.

ON the other hand they may be worth virtually nothing and it could be best to let them go at the tax sale.

Last edited by ocean2026; 03-02-2014 at 03:44 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 12:46 PM

I own lots 35, 36, 37, unit 4, block 12. I'd be interest in purchasing adjacent lots if anyone is interested. That would be lots 1, 2, 3, 4 or 38. I had a thought to run down and take a look but found that I could see just about everything I wanted to see on Google Cam.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quissette View Post
I own lots 35, 36, 37, unit 4, block 12. I'd be interest in purchasing adjacent lots if anyone is interested. That would be lots 1, 2, 3, 4 or 38. I had a thought to run down and take a look but found that I could see just about everything I wanted to see on Google Cam.
Thanks to the Texas Colonia Act of 1994, whoever owns those lots may not be able to sell if they total less than 10 acres. Is there water available on the property? I mean, not the kind that has to be hauled in and stored in a tank, but, like, a well.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM

Gosh No! Dirt, that's it.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Gosh No! Dirt, that's it.
Then you and the owners of the adjacent properties may be stuck with it under state law, unless you want to let it go for taxes or let the Horizon neighborhood association take it to build a tract for the developers.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Well, since I just got an appraisal/tax notice today indicating the property is worth 'zip' and the taxes for years have been 'zip', I'd love to purchase all the lots in the area for almost 'zip'. I've heard about the 10 acre limitation so I'm thinking this isn't going to happen. It be fun to get the surrounding owners together and build one house. Everyone can stay there 2-3 weeks out of the year. Maybe I'll drill for oil

Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well, since I just got an appraisal/tax notice today indicating the property is worth 'zip' and the taxes for years have been 'zip', I'd love to purchase all the lots in the area for almost 'zip'. I've heard about the 10 acre limitation so I'm thinking this isn't going to happen. It be fun to get the surrounding owners together and build one house. Everyone can stay there 2-3 weeks out of the year. Maybe I'll drill for oil
You probably won't find oil, but you may find water. I don't know if it'll be potable or not.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,204 times
Default Maybe this will help

Hi there -

I have been reading your comments as my parents also purchased land in Sunland Estates over 50 years ago. We recently got the proposed appraisal which is not what would be expected after all these years for the six lots (that equal just under an acre or so - approximately).

I called the number on the appraisal form and they gave me a number to call. The lady said that property was not part of their association. She did say, from what she knows, that it is still underdeveloped land where we are. I asked how far away the closest development is. She said, from what she can tell, eight miles. She said eventually they will get to our area, but she has no idea when - especially because it wasn't part of their association. She said usually the builders will call to offer to purchase the land. She also suggested the idea that if anybody calls and asks for money up front, in any way, it is a scam (as one would expect.) I asked about the 10 acre issue. She said that is true and they usually don't purchase if under 5-10 acres, but there are some ways in which selling the land, once an infrastructure is in place (whatever that means - I'm guessing community plans for that area) is possible - smaller sections would be able to possibly sell.

I asked if there was a way to find out what builders might be legit if they do call. She said that I could go to the horizoncommunities.com website - there is a panel on the left that says builders & developers. This would list some potential builders that may call that would be more legit.

Hope this helps somebody.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois59 View Post
Hi there -

I have been reading your comments as my parents also purchased land in Sunland Estates over 50 years ago. We recently got the proposed appraisal which is not what would be expected after all these years for the six lots (that equal just under an acre or so - approximately).

I called the number on the appraisal form and they gave me a number to call. The lady said that property was not part of their association. She did say, from what she knows, that it is still underdeveloped land where we are. I asked how far away the closest development is. She said, from what she can tell, eight miles. She said eventually they will get to our area, but she has no idea when - especially because it wasn't part of their association. She said usually the builders will call to offer to purchase the land. She also suggested the idea that if anybody calls and asks for money up front, in any way, it is a scam (as one would expect.) I asked about the 10 acre issue. She said that is true and they usually don't purchase if under 5-10 acres, but there are some ways in which selling the land, once an infrastructure is in place (whatever that means - I'm guessing community plans for that area) is possible - smaller sections would be able to possibly sell.I asked if there was a way to find out what builders might be legit if they do call. She said that I could go to the horizoncommunities.com website - there is a panel on the left that says builders & developers. This would list some potential builders that may call that would be more legit.

Hope this helps somebody.
By "infrastructure" I think she basically means water lines. Sewer service, electricity...I don't think the property can be sold to live on under Texas state law if it's under 10 acres in size and there's no access to potable water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso