Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

We have several lots purchased by parents in the midwest (who are now deceased) back in the 60's - it seems Horizon Corporation was traveling around the country inviting people to steak dinners with a fancy presentation about this fabulous area outside of El Paso and how they would make a fortune in the future. Of course, the parents never went to actually SEE the property, just saw the fancy brochures and maps and had a nice steak dinner. As time went on, they periodically contacted Realtors [SIZE=4]® [/SIZE]in the area who all essentially told them the land was virtually worthless, out in the desert. And so, it seems, it still is. I believe the Feds caught up with Horizon (many years ago) - they were also selling worthless land in Arizona and California, same pitch. "Hope springs eternal" and "There's a sucker born every minute."

I was prompted to post because I received a call a few days ago from someone with "Liberty" real estate or corporation, etc. The called wanted to know if we wanted to sell our lots - he hung up pretty quickly when I explained that I am a Realtor[SIZE=4]®
[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE]
We went to Google Earth and zoomed in on it and there's nothing there. It is east of El Paso, southeast of Lake Horizon, just south of Horizon Rd. They did stop collecting taxes on it some years ago, which were only a few cents anyway.

Has anyone just turned their lots over to the County of El Paso (and did they take them)? Or does that create any kind of a legal problem.

We liked the one person's idea about having a reunion (or would that be just a "union") of all the people who have inherited lots there - it could be like a modern-day Woodstock - who's in? Bring water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 AM

19 posts, read 63,257 times

Last edited by BIERDZ; 04-11-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Got a call April 10, 2009 regarding 3 lots in Sunland Estates - 30 Sunland Estates #8 - Lots 16,17,&18. Offered $40,000 for the three - 18,000 sq. ft - I plan on calling company next week!

How do I send a private email to someone who has posted - I'm a retired Certified Financial Planner who rides a Harley in Wisconsin, enjoys cocktail hour and I am not that computer savvy!

Last edited by BIERDZ; 04-11-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM

479 posts, read 1,294,057 times
you click on their name, and then click on "direct message" and it sends them a private message.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
you click on their name, and then click on "direct message" and it sends them a private message.
Thanks

I did some checking. American Properties and Liberty Land Services are one and the same. You can check out what they do by going to Libertylandservices.com - They are located in Largo, Florida. They do not buy your property, they advertise it for a fee. So tomorrow when I call I don't expect them to send me a check for $40,000. If interested, when you go on their site, click on Texas, enter El Paso County and you'll see a bunch of lots for sale in the Horizon City area but I couldn't find any in Sunland Estates. When I call, I expect to hear this - "We don't buy your property but we advertise it and I'm sure you could expect to get around $40,000 for you lots. Our fee is $________." I'm very about this whole thing. Happy Easter to everyone! I'll keep you posted!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Just as I thought. They charge $1,169 to advertise and market your lot(s). One price no matter how many lots you have. The guy kept rambling on it was difficult to understand so I had to slow him down. It was all about scare tactics. supposedly there is $47,000 in the bank or somewhere from a class action lawsuit against Horizon. The developer would receive that money if he was to develop Sunland Estates. He said he was trying to get them all in 5 acre lots. I told him I would talk further if he would send me a map of Sunland Estates with all the lots marked and the proximity to the main drag. Have not heard from him in a week.

If anyone has above map would you please email it to me or mail to:

BOB BIERDZ
8543 - WEST HILLVIEW DRIVE
MEQUON, WI 53097

THANKS

Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Regarding my above post, the dollar amount should be $47,000,000.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 AM

Never received the map!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,895 times
My family owns unit 14, lot 22. We also received an inquiry about selling the property. Please let me know if anyone finds out new information about all of this, or is interested in creating the union. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 AM

3 posts, read 14,613 times
Our family has a similar story. Sunland Estates lot purchased in the 60's, contacted by Liberty Property Trust about this property. It seems that it is listed as being worth approximately $5 but they offered a considerable amount more than that. I am thinking it is because the land is worthless in the small parcels we have but could be developed and/or sold as one large chunk of land.

Using the directions that "Sandlot" provided in a March post I think I found the location using Google Earth. I am pasting a link to the Google Maps site of the same location (east of El Paso, southeast of Lake Horizon, just south of Horizon Rd). Not sure where the lake is... I see one on the map but it is not labeled. It is a pretty deserted area but there are sections marked off. Our lots maybe?

Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso