Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:38 PM

19 posts, read 63,257 times

Advertisements

Hi folks - I have had prolly a dozen calls since I last posted - each time I told them I wanted to talk to someone who has worked with them re Sunland Estates - in other words, a referral - never received a referral - let's face it people, these people are scam artists and when they say they have someone interested in buying your lots for 'X' amount of dollars that is simply bull****!!! - maybe my grandkids might be able to sell them LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,793 times
Default lots

My parents also purchased some lots over 40 years ago. #13 Lot 24. Any help would be appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve7005 View Post
Here's what I know about Sunland Estates...

My parents also bought lots in Sunland Estates over 40 years ago. The purchased 2 lots. I have the original promotional map they got with the property that shows all 39 "units" planned just south of Horizon Blvd, and where their lots sit. Horizon City was a brand new master planned community still in development when they purchased that was supposed to take off and never did. Sunland Estates was hoping to capitalize on what was going on with Horizon City.

In talking with the Horizon City Homeowners Association, they described the Sunland Estates area as completely undeveloped, no roads, nothing. They described it as plain old desert.

My Dad was contacted a year or so ago by a listing service that promoted vacant land all over the country for "RV parking". Naturally they wanted several hundred dollars to advertise. The problem is the land is no where's near any power or amenities and I can't imagine why anyone would want to park their RV in the middle of nowhere.

I am still trying to determine exactly where the lots sit on the map and trying desperately to find a plot map, but no one I have talked to can provide much info.

The land is worth almost nothing according to the tax collector and we haven't been billed for any taxes in years.

I am tempted to take a plane out to El Paso and just take a look at this "boondoggle" Anybody interested in "the heirs to Sunland Estates reunion"?

If anyone has more info, drop a note here. This is the first time I have ever posted to board like this. Maybe the rest of you can join in.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 49,817 times
Default Recent Info

Here's a "scary" bit of information folks.

I found a slimey marketing company that did have one honest disclaimer
Services
United Property sales "markets" your property for a fee. On their disclaimer page

[SIZE=2]1. Note there can be no power or water ran to some of these properties due to House Bill 1001 of 1995. However
some of the listed properties may be allowed water and power but for accuracy please contact the local el paso
county tax assessor at 915-546-8100.[/SIZE]

here is the text of that law

Texas Legislature Online - 74(R) Text for HB 1001

As best as I can determine, it severely limits anyone's ability to sell the property without making improvements first, which would make any sense from a cost standpoint.

Has anyone just stopped making tax payments and let the county reclaim it?

I also had a legitimate realtor suggest donating land to a charity and taking a small deduction, or giving it to a land conservancy trust for environmental protection for the future.

Anybody try that route yet? And if so, was it a pain to process the donation?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 49,817 times
here's another helpful link for the county records, where you can search for your property by owner name

El Paso CAD - Property Search

www.epcad.org/clientdb/?cid=1

Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
We are being sent a tax bill for lots owned in Sunland Estates that my husband and his late wife purchased years ago. It is a minimal yearly amount but has built up over several years. If we don't pay the taxes, the City will "foreclose" on the property. Anyone else getting tax bills? I see many posts that say they haven't gotten tax bills for several years.

Sounds like this property is a wasteland in the middle of the desert. A reunion of "Sunlanders" sounds interesting.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alblr1 View Post
It is a minimal yearly amount but has built up over several years. If we don't pay the taxes, the City will "foreclose" on the property.
What city? It would be county and state taxes and they may amount to more than the property is currently worth on the market.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alblr1 View Post
We are being sent a tax bill for lots owned in Sunland Estates that my husband and his late wife purchased years ago. It is a minimal yearly amount but has built up over several years. If we don't pay the taxes, the City will "foreclose" on the property. Anyone else getting tax bills? I see many posts that say they haven't gotten tax bills for several years.

Sounds like this property is a wasteland in the middle of the desert. A reunion of "Sunlanders" sounds interesting.
If they take that property for back taxes, it probably won't be any great loss.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
here's another helpful link for the county records, where you can search for your property by owner name

Thanks for the link Steve - found out my 3 lots are worth a total of $4.00 - that's 2 tappers at cocktail hour - boy oh boy, my parents really got taken

Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,567 times
Ive been thinking the same about a flight there!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info Steve - Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso