Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times

Advertisements

I used to love partying in Jtown, it was like a right of passage, to be considered officially cool.I used to go to the [x.o] Sarawak, Derby, Fantasy, Alive, and then at the end of the night have some shooters at Hard Times, wow good times, good times! oooh wow i almost forgot, Vertigo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,267 times
If that was during the 80s, we may have rubbed shoulders a couple of times.

I used to go to Sarawak, Cosmos, Alive, The Derby (I always brought friends or relatives who were visiting me in El Paso from other states to the Derby haha), El Sub, we even wandered over to Club White Lake or Fausto's sometimes. Then some huge club downriver over by the Americas bridge (EDIT: I remembered the name of that club - it was the ElectriQ).

A friend of mine and I met two Mexican gals at Sarawak, who we dated for a summer. Fond memories.

I miss the beer, some of those bottled Mexican brews were yummy.

Anyway, I saw the sun rise in Juarez a few times.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Yeah back in the 80's what was KLAQ's bar down there called I forget.. I think it was the one that looked like a cave?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Anyway, I saw the sun rise in Juarez a few times.

me too, it seems like yesterday, coming out the club, a lil ok maybe alot tipsy, eating some "lonches" at "Tortas el 7" colitas de pavo, but the absolute best culinary delight in the MAny unsanitary food carts, were the footlong hotdogs with bacon, beans & cheese.....mmm mmm good, dammit i wish i had a time machine...[lol]

Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yeah back in the 80's what was KLAQ's bar down there called I forget.. I think it was the one that looked like a cave?

that was the "Alive" mr muhnay, which later on became "the Sub"!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:41 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times
When I was in the tenth grade I use to hang out with these classmates that all use to be from Juarez, new citizen greencard holder El Pasoans, and these boys knew the streets pretty well from El Segundo Frente bar and the Yo Yo bar in Zaragosa to the El Gallito bar in downtown Juarez, era 1974 night life scene.

Yeap! those were the days and I was warned about what could happen in Juarez but I did'nt heed the warning.

Now put eleven long hair teenager boys in one mid 60's model Impala convertable car with Texas Licence plates getting pulled over by the Juarez police on a cold night alongside a Juarez highway, then the driver floors it and tries to beat them to the International bridge, thats a NO NO!!!!

I am happy to say that I survived the beating of my "LIFE" and days there after I made unwanted visits back to Juarez, now Im not a dog but during those visits I was looking for a tail to put between my legs every time I saw a Juarez cop.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
When I was in the tenth grade I use to hang out with these classmates that all use to be from Juarez, new citizen greencard holder El Pasoans, and these boys knew the streets pretty well from El Segundo Frente bar and the Yo Yo bar in Zaragosa to the El Gallito bar in downtown Juarez, era 1974 night life scene.

Yeap! those were the days and I was warned about what could happen in Juarez but I did'nt heed the warning.

Now put eleven long hair teenager boys in one mid 60's model Impala convertable car with Texas Licence plates getting pulled over by the Juarez police on a cold night alongside a Juarez highway, then the driver floors it and tries to beat them to the International bridge, thats a NO NO!!!!

I am happy to say that I survived the beating of my "LIFE" and days there after I made unwanted visits back to Juarez, now Im not a dog but during those visits I was looking for a tail to put between my legs every time I saw a Juarez cop.
I was in my 20's but a bunch of us went after work for a someone's going away party. It took some doing but we convinced a co-worker from Colorado that everything he'd ever heard about Juarez was exaggeration and it was perfectly safe. Usually it did seem safe but for some reason that night there were drunks passed out on the sidewalks -- harmless -- we just stepped over them, it was for some reason a rowdy night over there but our group was not -- the police tried to get one of our group for walking out of a bar with a beer can in his hand and was talked out of it bey another of our group who lived over there.

The best part though was when we were going to find some of our group who were checking out other bars and were about to cross the street when a car came flying toward the bridge and right behind it police --- shooting at it. I'll bet the Colorado guy is still talking about it.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 AM

49 posts, read 313,348 times
I didn't live here in high school, but came here in the late 80's when I was in my mid 20's. Somewhere I have a pic of a group of us standing behind the bar at Fred's Rainbow Bar, all hammered to the gills. Spent many nights shooting pool at Freds, and then over to Spanky's and Alive. Early 90's it was Vertigo (man did they have a sound system in there). After that I'd pretty much given up on going out and drinking....but those were the days.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,207 times
dont forget the kentucky club ,oo yeah i forgot unless you went to la coronado they wouldn't let you in not really just joking, do any of you remember the troft it was under the bar,i may have stepped in it a few times i think its still there when i used to go it had running water

Last edited by el borracho; 01-22-2008 at 12:33 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 AM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times
Thats funny when you mentioned a "troft" I'd never seen one in a bar until I went to Suva Figi Islands, we walk into this bar during day light on our first day there and things sure smelled pretty high octain urine on a hot day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso