Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,059 times

Advertisements

Wow my buddy Nick Vajdics used to frequent the Cosmos in 78,79,80 almost every weekend funny we both met our future wives there ,I remember eating the little mini sandwiches from the carts at 4 in the a.m trying to sober up for the walk back over the bridge to where we parked,( yes we learned the hard way not to drive to the J side the local cops would reverse the one way signs late at night and pull us over for a quick fine and send ya on your way, we mostly hung at the Cosmos and "The Place in E.P, anyone remember the place?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 942 times
In April of this year I went to the Sarawak on Juarez Street. Yes they re-opened it! We got there pretty early. We parked about a block away and walked in. There was no concern for our safety whatsoever. Juarez is doing a good effort in trying to revive Juarez Street by the looks of it. The Kentucky Bar next door was also packed. Once inside, the DJ played 90's music all night. The Sarawak was exactly as it was back in the 90's. The color of the carpet, the lighting and even the robot at the entrance was exactly the same. I ended up paying 150 bucks for a party of 8 for all night drinks. It was a really nice experience that definitely made us re-live our younger years! I will post links of some pics.

[url]https://imgur.com/fYQtNIZ[/url]

[url]https://imgur.com/cp1X52y[/url]

[url]https://imgur.com/lju4aJz[/url]

[url]https://imgur.com/oTFTv1u[/url]

[url]https://imgur.com/hoc38Y5[/url]

Old 09-30-2020, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,180 times
...of Rock N Roll Bards!
One other comment, our early perception of Bards in fantasy games were heavily influenced by Metal Rock Bands of course. It seemed them bands all got the best babes, who would throw themselves, as well as their lingerie and underwear at the band members during concerts, and literally catfight to be with them. This was something that us normal dweebs aspired to greatly during our high school years while gaming in the basement. I decided to personally test the theory that Bards were chick magnets and when I was living in El Paso, Texas in 1984 joined a band on tour for about a week once. Now I had frequented this rock and roll nightclub called The Treetop where live bands would perform, you know like Stryper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Allman Brothers, Tokyo Rose, RockIt, Dark Hart, Uriah Heep, Looker, all the road tour bands that traveled around in Greyhound buses ...like that. I brought my expensive Olympia 35mm camera and did a photo shoot with the permission of the nightclub owner Mike, of a band that showed up to perform one weekend, Windfall. Long story short, they liked my photos and asked me to join them, and I did. Yes it's true. If you are in the band, the babes just throw themselves at you. Still have this 33RPM album that was gifted to me by Charlie, the lead singer of Windfall in exchange for my Indiana Jones Hat. The Bonfire party in the desert was the best! Three guitars, including a Bass, Drums of course, and a keyboard, Woot!

Windfall, Agora ballroom, Dallas Texas 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WToBVJZP8mE

Windfall, 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAaCMECjZA

Also, my favorite nightclub in Juarez at the time was called The Cave, and featured a central dance floor about four levels down, with cave like Grottos and private spaces overlooking the dance floor. The owner of course, was in the highest cave with a posse of girls, a mountain of cocaine, and two .357 magnums on the table for business. This was, of course, right next to Freddie's Rainbow Bar and Grille, a restaurant guarded by off-duty Federales, that served up the best Guacamole sandwiches I have ever eaten. Always amazed me how well the drug dealers and federales got along back in the 80's. They each just minded their own business back in the day.

Last edited by GameDaddy; 09-30-2020 at 12:47 AM..

Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz lace1982 View Post
Copa Cabana 1981-84 who went on Sundays!? I was in the band black lace
Liz juarez .. msg if u did
Actually remember this place as well! Copa Cabana in Juarez, Thanks for bringing that back!

Old 09-30-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascycling View Post
I wasn't around back then (lived in El Paso in the mid 90's), but I'm looking for Windfall's record, and really any other music from that era in any format. Anyone remember a band from EP called Looker? I've got an LP by them from 1984 that virtually nobody seems to know anything about and it's pretty great. I'd definitely like to know more about them if anyone knows anything! I also have records One Second Zero, Rhythm Pigs, and Tangled Bank. I also really need Teenage Popeye's record...
See my other posts in this thread on that... I have their 33 Rpm Vinyl 1985 Album too, Windfall.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 257 times
I JUST found this thread on a Google search, I was trying to remember where we went in Juarez. It was in 89 or 90 and we drove down from Ruidoso, went to Juarez to some party strip. There were clubs on the west side of the ride, I remember one club that looked like a cave, you walked in and it all went down to a dance floor. Also, there was a two story club with a dance floor and the loudest sound system I've ever heard. Good times, was this the Juarez street district?

Old 06-07-2023, 09:53 PM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
No I never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso