Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times

Advertisements

My whole family, including myself have been told in the past that all of our animals should be spayed no later than 6 months. And we have followed those instructions for all our cats and our past dog.

I took my newly adopted 8 month old lab to the vet today to get her a check-up and inquire about getting her spayed. My husband and I were extremely surprised when he said he recommends to wait to spay until after the first heat cycle. He explained that sometimes when spaying a puppy before their first heat cycle, it can end up causing the dog to become incontinence. We were both very surprised to hear our vet recommending this. He explained that when spaying before the first heat cycle it can cause the dog to leak pee (without realizing it) b/c the estrogen from the first heat cycle helps make the bladder stronger. I personally have never heard of this before. However I have done some research online and found it to be true. He also told us that if she is able to go through her first heat cycle it will help her to reduce mammary gland tumors. I was not able to find this information online. I was under the impression if you spay early, you can prevent that...not cause it from spaying too early.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I then asked him when they typically recommend to spay. He stated the vet office (there are 3 doctors in this practice and 2 of them own the practice) recommends 6 months but he recommends after the first heat cycle due to the possibility of incontinence and mammary gland tumors. The vet I met with is not an owner of the practice. I've been going to this practice for many, many years (perhaps 20 years or so).

Now, I am really confused. I'm curious to see what everyone's opinions are on this and if you have had any issues with your spayed dog and incontinence. My original plan was to get her spayed this week coming up but now we are really confused as to wait for the first heat cycle or not. I'd also hate to think about her bleeding on my carpets and floors. Trust me when I say, I am all for spaying and just want to know when the right time is to do it. I was under the impression b/c the dog is 8 months already that she should have gotten this done but our vet is really confusing us.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 08:54 PM

418 posts, read 1,381,745 times
I have always spayed and neutered early. My boxer was neutered at 6 months (would have been sooner except he was a rescue and malnourished and they wouldn't do it until he gained some) My ex's dashaund was at 5 months. The rottie I used to have was at 4 months. My lab was not until a year and that was because she was in heat when we got her. Which by the way was a pain. She bled, all my dogs neutered or not wanted to "get with her" lol and we had strays all around our house.
I have never heard this either. I would get a second opinion. I would rather avoid an unwanted pregnancy and more unwanted puppies than wait but thats just IMO.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
We have always spayed at 6 months or earlier and we have never had any issues with our dogs or cats.

I'm surprised with your vet's response. I thought that this "incontinence" issue has been disproved in that fact statistically speaking there was little if any statistical difference in the control or the exerimental groups when studied long term. I wonder if I can find some of the studies. It's also an increased cancer risk with each heat cycle you allow your female to have, which you already are aware of.

We have had to deal with a heat cycle only once and it was in a dog we found/fostered and she was in heat. I did not enjoy the cleaning nor did I care for the odor.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 05-22-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
All my animals were spayed as soon as possible (usually around 4-6 months. One of my dogs started elaking urine around age 3. She's on pills and is doing just fine. Regardless, I would never wait until after the first spay, just because I don't want to deal with it, and run the risk of a litter.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I think you need to find a new vet ASAP.

See below:

Quote:
When to Spay

Q: Dear Dr. Mike, We have heard conflicting opinions on whether to spay our border collie before or after the heat. Can you give us your objective opinion on this? Thank you

A: I hope that you have not heard conflicting opinions from vets! It is pretty much universally agreed upon by vets that the best time to spay is BEFORE the first heat period. If a dog is spayed prior to the first heat, the odds of developing mammary cancer later in life are less than 1%. If spayed between the first and second heat periods the risk increases to about 8%. If spayed at any time after the second heat period, the risk of mammary cancer is about 25% in the dog (same as in an unspayed dog). There are no reasons not to spay prior to the first heat that I am aware of. A few dogs do develop incontinence from low estrogen levels after spaying but this does not appear to be affected much by the time the dog is spayed. Some dogs just develop this problem after spaying. With the obvious benefit of spaying before the first heat and the lack of any problems that have been proven to occur as the result of spaying early, there does not appear to be much reason for controversy to me. Mike Richards, DVM

Canine Spay

Old 05-23-2010, 04:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Your vet is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and has a lot of data to back up his assertion. At this point in time there is no way I would alter an animal until it was completely grown at about 3 years. Males - I would probably keep intact forever.

I will add that I have never been responsible for one puppy being conceived.

There are a lot of threads on this aleady - just old ones.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Your vet is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and has a lot of data to back up his assertion. At this point in time there is no way I would alter an animal until it was completely grown at about 3 years. Males - I would probably keep intact forever.

I will add that I have never been responsible for one puppy being conceived.

There are a lot of threads on this aleady - just old ones.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

grannynancy...

I'm sorry but I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE...:sma ck:
I say SPAY/NEUTER before 6 months of age.

You are very careful & everyone is thankful for that, but you are probably 1 out of a zillion people that are THAT careful.
There are just TOO many pups/kitties out in this big bad world because of human negligence & ignorance.

So back to the OP...yes I agree with HOPES... if I were you I would find a new responsible vet.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
bailey was spayed at 4 months and is now 5-1/2 y/o .... no leakage yet...... she was in a shelter and i could not bring her home until she had been spayed......

dave was neutered at 8 weeks.... now THAT is too early, in my book, but he was also in a shelter and i guess they wanted to get him adoptable asap.... he is 18 months now and still squats (sort of) to pee and has NEVER felt the need to mark.... bailey marks more than he does when we are out and about......

ETA .... sillypups is absolutely correct.... granny nancy is VERY dogwise and VERY responsible with her dogs.... the vast majority are not....

not saying that you are one of the many LI Girl..... but why take the chance?? no matter how remote......

Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Thank you everyone for all your input. After doing much research and hearing your opinions I believe we decided to do the spay ASAP.

Most of my research has led me to believe that in larger breeds it is better to spay after the first heat due to the dog not being able to fully mature (bones being fully grown etc. and also some cancers, etc from spaying too early). However, we don't think we will be able to control a dog who is going through heat. We both work and would not be able to be around most of the day to prevent her from getting hurt. I've read that some dogs try to run through doors to get outside when they are going through heat. Also, I've also read that male dogs from miles away can sense this and I'd be scared to leave my own house if I saw dogs that I don't know hanging around on my doorstep just to get with our dog and produce. While I am worried about getting her spayed and the risks afterward with the incontinence and cancer, etc. I do know that there are many dogs out there that have been spayed before the first heat which do not have problems. I guess it's kind of like we have to take the chance. I think with smaller dogs, spaying at 6 months is not a problem but with the larger breed pooches some vets think its best to wait. I just can't take the chance though of her getting pregnant. I'm not saying we are not responsible pet parents b/c we are but I think this could go on for 3-4 weeks of the dog looking to leave the home and I think it would be too much for us.

I do agree that a dog getting spayed at 8 weeks is too young (after doing all of my research). BUT most rescues and shelters spay ASAP b/c as mentioned in someone elses reply to my post, there are way too many homeless kittens and puppies/dogs and cats in this world and it's very sad that most of them get euthanized b/c they will not be adopted.

Again, thank you everyone for your replies. I truly appreciate it. i just pray that we are making the right choice and she does not develop a cancer of the bones down the road.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
again being a former vet tech and a rescue volunteer yes yes yes spay and neuter early at 6 months or earlier if possible .I have never had an animal to have a liter accident or otherwise this way and this is the best way . good luck whatever you decide to do .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs