Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,136,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Yeah, to hell with what is best for the dog! Never mind that you are setting a dog up for all kinds of issues, including aggression and behavior issues that are likely to result in them being surrendered or euthanized.
https://cpt-training.com/blog/recent...yingneutering/
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...y-spay-neuter/
AKC Canine Health Foundation
https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/early-n...s-study-finds/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ed-or-neutered
http://www.naiaonline.org/uploads/Wh...rhoodyZink.pdf

Junvenile spay-neuter is unethical and irresponsible and shows no regard for the dog’s health and mental well-being.
But animal shelters are doing it all over the country. They aren’t about to let the public adopt on their word that they will get the dog fixed. When I interviewed people wanting to adopt a pup, the pup was fixed and microchipped, with a home check. I sent the pup along knowing I did the best I could. Were these pups adopted into forever homes, in lots of cases, I’d bet no. We’re moving, having a baby, dog is too old, and the plethora of stupid excuses as to why they can’t keep their dog. At least this rescue chipped their dogs so they would know if the dog got dumped into a shelter.

You can do whatever you want, but there is no way I would ever adopt a puppy into a home without the pup being fixed. I went into these kill shelters sometimes and volunteered to take a litter or two. I couldn’t hold these puppies for months while waiting for them to mature to six months, especially with new litters coming along as soon as I could take them. At one point I was keeping eighteen puppies. Wait six months, seriously? I did save some puppies from certain death and that’s a rewarding feeling. Unethical and irresponsible? Try looking at these idiots out there who are responsible for dog overpopulation. These lazy people are the root cause of pet overpopulation along with backyard breeders. As soon as one bunch of pups was gone, another took its place. This stream was never ending.

Last edited by Taz22; 09-06-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 09:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 806,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
But animal shelters are doing it all over the country. They aren’t about to let the public adopt on their word that they will get the dog fixed. When I interviewed people wanting to adopt a pup, the pup was fixed and microchipped, with a home check. I sent the pup along knowing I did the best I could. Were these pups adopted into forever homes, in lots of cases, I’d bet no. We’re moving, having a baby, dog is too old, and the plethora of stupid excuses as to why they can’t keep their dog. At least this rescue chipped their dogs so they would know if the dog got dumped into a shelter.

You can do whatever you want, but there is no way I would ever adopt a puppy into a home without the pup being fixed. I went into these kill shelters sometimes and volunteered to take a litter or two. I couldn’t hold these puppies for months while waiting for them to mature to six months, especially with new litters coming along as soon as I could take them. At one point I was keeping eighteen puppies. Wait six months, seriously? I did save some puppies from certain death and that’s a rewarding feeling. Unethical and irresponsible? Try looking at these idiots out there who are responsible for dog overpopulation. These lazy people are the root cause of pet overpopulation along with backyard breeders. As soon as one bunch of pups was gone, another took its place. This stream was never ending.
Well, one of the so many reasons I no longer support any dog rescue organizations! I've washed my hands of it and now encourage everyone to find a reputable breeder!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,136,344 times
Quote:
Well, one of the so many reasons I no longer support any dog rescue organizations! I've washed my hands of it and now encourage everyone to find a reputable breeder!

I find that comment strange, but whatever.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:34 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,462,759 times
Quote:
Yeah, to hell with what is best for the dog! Never mind that you are setting a dog up for all kinds of issues, including aggression and behavior issues that are likely to result in them being surrendered or euthanized.
https://cpt-training.com/blog/recent...yingneutering/
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...y-spay-neuter/
AKC Canine Health Foundation
https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/early-n...s-study-finds/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ed-or-neutered
http://www.naiaonline.org/uploads/Wh...rhoodyZink.pdf

Junvenile spay-neuter is unethical and irresponsible and shows no regard for the dog’s health and mental well-being.
IDK if I'd go that far.

I think that if it turned a preponderance of dogs with long term behavior issues, it would have been found out by now.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 806,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
IDK if I'd go that far.

I think that if it turned a preponderance of dogs with long term behavior issues, it would have been found out by now.
Umm, it has.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,001 times
There is overwhelming evidence on healthy benefits by allowing a female dog to experience their first heat cycle, hormones, bone structure, immune system development. It's only 21 days of bloody mess, if you have a house with a fenced back yard there should be little question to allow her to go through the first heat cycle. The pros vs cons for a female dog in a controlled environment to experience her first heat cycle really should not be debated in regards to the animals health, its more heavily weighed in one direction.

If you are a pet owner that is unable to control your dog or unable to control social situations... you probably shouldn't be taking on the responsibility if you aren't going to take responsibility.

Cats are entirely different and will let those with cats discuss, and likely agree to spay at the earliest responsible time. They are allowed to roam neighborhoods etc.

In dogs its shown that hormone development aspects never occur and or never shut off. One being a bone development hormone that if spayed before the first heat cycle tends to over develop bones because the hormone gland doesn't shut off, that's a bad thing.
Immune system development, so many hormones are released and balanced in the initial heat cycle that are crucial to the dogs development, depriving them of this I feel is a disservice as a pet owner.
Mammary tumor growth is one argument that if performed before the first cycle, it greatly (very much) reduces risk, but if performed before the second cycle still also greatly reduces risk, yet the other hormone aspects get a chance to develop as intended.

As for male dogs, I can say that neutering them early changes their testosterone levels greatly for the remainder of their life. Ever seen a 4-6yr old male dog needing weight management food? That's almost always because they were neutered early in life. See a 10yr old male dog with tons of energy and not overweight? Chances are they are still carrying around their fanny pack of jewels.

If you intend to take your dog to social parks often, and have a hard time controlling them, then yes absolutely. I hate owners that bring large active breeds (that i love) that still have their jewels and want to dominate everything at the park and their owners have no control or sense of their dogs outlandish behavior.

Dont take your female IN HEAT to the social park either, you are asking for a situation to happen and only you are to blame.

If you prefer your male dog to maintain as much energy as possible throughout their entire life for constant runs/walks and natural hormone driven energy, dont fix them. if you have issues with your male breaking out of the back yard, running around, and or just want a lazy couch dog that will love you on the couch and not beg you to run every day until they are old, then fix him.

If you want the healthiest potential female dog, let her go through her first heat cycle. I live in a high rise condo (no back yard) and still was worth suffering through the 21 days for her healthy growth cycle. No diapers, lots of old towels, and a bissell pet carpet cleaner lol.

My 2-cents based on lots of personal research and knowledge with one family member being a vet and my local hospital which I have a relationship with of 12 vets, in which one had a lab that was my male labs father. His 14yr old male lab could run circles around most neutered 7yr old labs. of course this all comes down to the owners activeness and participation, as do many choices and outcomes of your animals life and personality.

Many people will tell you that there are health benefits to neutering your dog.
And this is true.
Many people will tell you that there are health benefits to leaving your dog entire. And this is also true.
Some people will tell you it is essential that you neuter your dog. This is not true.
Others will tell you that it is essential that you do not neuter your dog. This also is not true.

Last edited by Scared2Lose; 03-11-2019 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 07:10 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,070,656 times
Quote:
I don’t know what the policies of rescues are by you. In my area, families can only “foster” puppies and can’t finalize the adoption of their pet until they’ve been spayed/neutered... but rescues will not arrange for a spay/neuter before 6 months at an absolute minimum. Rescues have to require it. Millions of animals are being euthanized every year because shelters are bursting at the seams.

My cat was young (maybe 3 months? He’s 13.5 now so the exact age at the time is fuzzy). We adopted my dog when he was a year old and was neutered at that point. I think a year is a good age for a dog BUT the owners need to be responsible.

Last edited by GiveMeCoffee; 03-11-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
When I bought my purebred dog his breeder told me to wait until he was over a year old to neuter him as it would not only help his bone health but make his coat come in better and that was almost 11 yrs ago. But he did need to be neutered as he had a retained testicle which is why he was sold to me as pet quality. Not getting that testicle removed would greatly increase his chances of developing testicular cancer.

When I have adopted shelter dogs as puppies they required the puppy be spayed or neutered by 6 months and if you did so you got part of the money you paid back. I think they should change it to a year as yes they are showing a later spay/ neuter has health benefits for the dog. The adults I have adopted all were already fixed before I adopted them.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
I knew Breeders that went into the spay early 6 weeks old pups! This is what they found following the groth of the dogs once they were done.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=proble...97fd62be5be9b6

Old 04-16-2019, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 878 times
I've had dogs all my life have been told to wait till after the first heat cycle and now they change to before the heat first heat cycle I believe the main reason for the change is because of the over pet population not for any other reason I've always waited till after the first heat cycle to spay my dogs and they have all lived long and healthy life as far as the bleeding all over your carpet they do have diapers and depending on the size of the dog I have bought the depends and put on my dogs and tape them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs