Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times

Advertisements

All of my females, spayed at 6 months were incontinent and had to go on Proin - The 6-yr-old Collie just started a mild dose, the female Dobermans were about 8 or 9. No side effects for any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
Although this is an older post I wanted to comment on spaying should anyone find this thread as I have. My dog went through her first heat at approximately 8 months old. It was very easy, I would find a few drops of blood on the floor each day but female dogs take care of themselves very well. I bathed her a little more than usual. She was off her food a bit and when we took walks she peed every 5 minutes, which I took to be marking. Not once did she try to escape or did we have male dogs converging on our home. It was SO much easier than I expected. She is 16 months old & we opted for a laparoscopic OVE proceedure. She’s running around today less than 24 hours, no cone of shame, tiny incisions (2) which have dissolvable sutures. Please don’t believe that allowing your dog to have one heat cycle is going to be such a big deal - it’s not and I believe worth it to ensure your female dog is fully mature, hormones in and bone density formed. I really don’t understand why people say a dog in heat is such a horrific experience. It’s part of being a dog!! Make informed decisions. Early spay is so the Vets can snap you up before another one does!!! It’s all about money not what’s best for your dog!

Old 09-04-2018, 05:02 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
We've owned 7 female dogs and every dog we've ever owned except for one, (a purebred that we were considering breeding until we went through the first heat- NOT fun) was spayed before the first heat.

Our present dog is now 2 years old, was spayed at 6 months and she is the ONLY one who started leaking pee at a young age. We have her on hormone-based pills and no problems.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkate57 View Post
Although this is an older post I wanted to comment on spaying should anyone find this thread as I have. My dog went through her first heat at approximately 8 months old. It was very easy, I would find a few drops of blood on the floor each day but female dogs take care of themselves very well. I bathed her a little more than usual. She was off her food a bit and when we took walks she peed every 5 minutes, which I took to be marking. Not once did she try to escape or did we have male dogs converging on our home. It was SO much easier than I expected. She is 16 months old & we opted for a laparoscopic OVE proceedure. She’s running around today less than 24 hours, no cone of shame, tiny incisions (2) which have dissolvable sutures. Please don’t believe that allowing your dog to have one heat cycle is going to be such a big deal - it’s not and I believe worth it to ensure your female dog is fully mature, hormones in and bone density formed. I really don’t understand why people say a dog in heat is such a horrific experience. It’s part of being a dog!! Make informed decisions. Early spay is so the Vets can snap you up before another one does!!! It’s all about money not what’s best for your dog!
Where I live, it is illegal to take a female in heat out for a walk. They must be confined at all times so a male dog cannot get at her. They have to be fenced in with fencing that a male dog cannot climb over.

We had one purebred female lab that we were considering breeding. After her first heat, we decided to get her spayed. Going through the troubles of a dog in heat was NOT a fun experience. Blood drops everywhere and with small kids, it was very difficult making sure she was kept inside.

The worst part though, was the HOWLING of our neighbor's male Golden Retriever that started at 5 AM outside our door and lasted ALL day. They had to listen to him howling all night and finally let him out at 4:50 AM, when he promptly ran to our house and parked himself outside our door all day. We had to listen to AWhooooo!~! AWhoooo!. ALL day.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:00 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Where I live, it is illegal to take a female in heat out for a walk. They must be confined at all times so a male dog cannot get at her. They have to be fenced in with fencing that a male dog cannot climb over.

We had one purebred female lab that we were considering breeding. After her first heat, we decided to get her spayed. Going through the troubles of a dog in heat was NOT a fun experience. Blood drops everywhere and with small kids, it was very difficult making sure she was kept inside.

The worst part though, was the HOWLING of our neighbor's male Golden Retriever that started at 5 AM outside our door and lasted ALL day. They had to listen to him howling all night and finally let him out at 4:50 AM, when he promptly ran to our house and parked himself outside our door all day. We had to listen to AWhooooo!~! AWhoooo!. ALL day.
That is just a case of two owners not training or not correcting obnoxious behavior. As for the blood drops, that’s easy enough to deal with.

I will not be spaying my *****. If I decide not to breed her, I will spray around 6 or 7. Her heat wasn’t difficult to manage. She wore her lady pants during the day if she was not crated (had an easily washable pad in her crate). Other than her becoming very clingy and low key, her behavior didn’t change. She is well trained so when she tried sniffing on walks, a “leave it” or a “let’s go” was all it took to get her focus back. There is often a ***** in heat at training classes (agility, barn hunt, comp obedience) working with intact males in the class. They wear panties and don’t stand right next to the males. We’ve never had an issue. I’ve had two females spayed before their first heats and both had spay incontinence and were on Proin pretty much their whole lives. Never again!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecuddler View Post
All of my females, spayed at 6 months were incontinent and had to go on Proin - The 6-yr-old Collie just started a mild dose, the female Dobermans were about 8 or 9. No side effects for any.
Incontinence itself is a pretty big side effect.

Vets recommend the 6 month spay/neuter so it gets put on the calendar after your first visit, and when dog owners are likely to be compliant with their recommendations and to prevent more unwanted pups. It has nothing to do with any medical advice that I've seen.

Keeping your female from getting knocked up during the first cycle isn't that difficult. Don't let her off a leash or out of your fenced in yard unattended. Many, many people do it all the time, often with intact males around.

Anyhow, the "one heat cycle" thing is becoming more and more common. It makes sense not to let mammals grow without important hormonal developments.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
When I fostered puppies for a rescue, I flat told them that no puppy would go out my door without being spayed or neutered. There are far too many flake a doodles who adopt, to trust them to get their dogs fixed. They found a vet for me who did spay and neuter at eight weeks. I took litter after litter up there to get fixed before adopting out. This rescue would adopt and hand out a coupon for a free spay or neuter. I said there is no way I’m doing that.

For my own dogs, the little ones around six months, larger breeds around eight or ten months.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
When I fostered puppies for a rescue, I flat told them that no puppy would go out my door without being spayed or neutered. There are far too many flake a doodles who adopt, to trust them to get their dogs fixed. They found a vet for me who did spay and neuter at eight weeks. I took litter after litter up there to get fixed before adopting out. This rescue would adopt and hand out a coupon for a free spay or neuter. I said there is no way I’m doing that.

For my own dogs, the little ones around six months, larger breeds around eight or ten months.
There is no way I would take a dog with a pediatric spay and I always advise people asking for my help to run, not walk, away from these dogs. This really should be illegal. The vet you found to do this was unethical.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
There is no way I would take a dog with a pediatric spay and I always advise people asking for my help to run, not walk, away from these dogs. This really should be illegal. The vet you found to do this was unethical.
Sorry you feel that way, but there was no way I’d adopt puppies out to the public without being sure these dogs would never grow up to have pups. There are too many flakes who would never bother to fix their dogs and seeing kill shelters bursting at the seams with dogs and puppies, made me want be sure to never contribute to this problem.

The vet knew that cute puppies have a good chance to get a home.

https://www.americanhumane.org/fact-...le-spayneuter/

Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Sorry you feel that way, but there was no way I’d adopt puppies out to the public without being sure these dogs would never grow up to have pups. There are too many flakes who would never bother to fix their dogs and seeing kill shelters bursting at the seams with dogs and puppies, made me want be sure to never contribute to this problem.

The vet knew that cute puppies have a good chance to get a home.

https://www.americanhumane.org/fact-...le-spayneuter/
Yeah, to hell with what is best for the dog! Never mind that you are setting a dog up for all kinds of issues, including aggression and behavior issues that are likely to result in them being surrendered or euthanized.
https://cpt-training.com/blog/recent...yingneutering/
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...y-spay-neuter/
AKC Canine Health Foundation
https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/early-n...s-study-finds/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ed-or-neutered
http://www.naiaonline.org/uploads/Wh...rhoodyZink.pdf

Junvenile spay-neuter is unethical and irresponsible and shows no regard for the dog’s health and mental well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs