Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM

172 posts, read 785,106 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a 5 month old Goldendoodle who I caught about two hours ago eating the other BIG dogs poop. I don't know how much she ate. I put her in her crate for discipline, and went to check on her and she had thrown up A LOT- mostly the poop. Now, she's out on the deck but still throwing up- right now it's up to 7 times on the deck. However, no more poop, just bile/foam.

What should I do? She won't eat any treats(she NEVER turns down food)

I never had to deal with a dog eating poop before, and I'm concerned.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
unfortunately, eating poop (be it dog, cat, goose, whatever-is-there) is NOT an uncommon occurrence for our canine friends.......

maybe this upset tummy will teach her a lesson.......

in the meantime, you may want to be even more vigilant about poop patrol in the yard........

Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
Watch her like a hawk when she's outside! She can't eat anything when you're right there watching her every move.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
It's called Coprophagy and very common. I'm guessing the tummy will settle down soon...but you need to be vigilant about picking up in order to break this habit.

Coprophagy: Preventing Stool Eating in Dogs & Puppies
Eating Dog Feces - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM

172 posts, read 785,106 times
Thank you all! She's stopped throwing up now. I live on 5 acres and with all the snow, I missed this pile. I watch her as best I can, but I can't walk on the snow/ice due to a brain surgery recovery, thus this issue occurred. This was the first time she's done it, and will be the last.

I appreciate the input- I've never had a dog do this, and I was quite scared.

Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
Thank you all! She's stopped throwing up now. I live on 5 acres and with all the snow, I missed this pile. I watch her as best I can, but I can't walk on the snow/ice due to a brain surgery recovery, thus this issue occurred. This was the first time she's done it, and will be the last.

Thanks again!
Your welcome....Now all you have to deal with is her breath!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:

Thanks again!

I don't know if it's any consolation or not, but I'd probably throw up too if doing that.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
My crazy dog tries to do this whenever she's in a field...rabbit poop, dog poop, deer poop.

It's something that drives people nuts but a lot of dogs do it.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:37 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,119 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
Unfortunately, I believe it will happen again, no matter how careful you are. I had a female Lhasa that did this, would get sick each and every time, but did she learn from it??? NO! You can try to keep it out of her reach, as I did, but no matter how hard you try, a little will always get by you and they develop a "nose" to search it out. I endured this for years with her, and she came very close to death from it about 1.5 years ago (at 11 years old) when her kidneys began failing after an encounter with eating poop and throwing it back up--she was as sick as I had ever seen her, yet after recovery and huge vet bill, she still would search it out!

I never understood why they do this, only that it's common. The worst part, although my female passed recently, she was able to "teach" a puppy about this undiscovered treat! So now the nuissance lives on.....but at least he has not thrown up....yet, and like you I live on acreage.

I wish you the best of luck with her!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
My neighbor used my woods road to dump some of her horse manure once. My dogs thought it was a buffet line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs