Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
My neighbor used my woods road to dump some of her horse manure once. My dogs thought it was a buffet line.
Haha. That's funny. My yorkie is such a dainty princess - doesn't like to get her feet wet; doesn't like the snow or cold; but she will search out my other dog's poop like it's GOLD.

Now it's all frozen to the ground and hard to pick up.

It's a poopcicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM

426 posts, read 791,578 times
All I can say is it is so gross!!! My almost 2 year old pup loves cat crap. Can't get her to stop. (I'd gag whenever I caught her in the act) Recently she got a parasite from eating it. So I now I watch very closely to what she is doing. She also likes digging in the bathroom trash and digging out a specific item that i'm not going to say on the forum, i'm sure some can figure it out.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 AM

76 posts, read 176,810 times
Well my yorkie poops in the tub. LOL. He started as a baby. Came in the bathroom, looked at me and jumped in the tub. I couldn't believe it. I didn't yell at him. I figured, better there than somewhere else in the house. LOL. He still does it to this day. I just get nervous if company is coming. LOL

Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I keep doggie breath mints around for such occasions. My vet calls it "dietary indescretion."
As for putting the dog in the crate "for discipline," I doubt that will have the desire effect. The dog isn't going to relate her pleasant activity of poop eating with going into the crate, and anyway, you want the crate to be a place she wants to be, not a punishment. I'm not sure what reasoning you have for the crate being "for discipline," but I doubt it works.
The dog might eat poop all her life, or might stop, or might only eat frozen stuff. Certainly puppies eat more weird stuff than adult dogs- I think that's why litters in the wild have a lot of puppies, because most of them will die before age one from eating bad things. The fact that she threw up likely meant that she ate too much. If only she'd remember that... But dogs, being grungy as they are, don't seem to mind throwing up, either!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,202 times
One of our chi's recently started eating her own poop. I've caught her two times doing this. It's strange because she hasn't done this ever since we adopted her, even when she had accidents at home she would leave it alone... up until the last week.

Victoria Stillwell mentioned on her show that you can give them pineapple (as the taste of it in their poop supposedly deters them from eating), but I also read you can give them pineapple juice?

Can anyone chime in?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
An old wives' tale here is to give them tomato juice. Never tried it, don't know if it works. You can buy stuff to supposedly stop the habit but what I got didn't work. I gave up.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Yup sounds like she's right on schedule for a 5 month old pup...eating poop is just a way of life for young dogs...the vet said so herself...she said it was nothing to worry about, and its very common...

The only thing is that you would want to avoid letting her devour the other dogs poop or her own poop if you notice worms in it...

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 PM

257 posts, read 533,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
All I can say is it is so gross!!! My almost 2 year old pup loves cat crap. Can't get her to stop. (I'd gag whenever I caught her in the act) Recently she got a parasite from eating it. So I now I watch very closely to what she is doing. She also likes digging in the bathroom trash and digging out a specific item that i'm not going to say on the forum, i'm sure some can figure it out.

Was it your cat she got the parasite from? Try putting your cat on a monthly parasite prevention (available thru your vet). My dog eats cat poop anytime she can get to the litter box. We've had to block it except for a very small entrance. Thank goodness for small cats

Dogs LOVE trash. I have to keep the kitchen trash in another room & my bathroom trash in the cupboard under the sink.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raa1371 View Post
Was it your cat she got the parasite from? Try putting your cat on a monthly parasite prevention (available thru your vet). My dog eats cat poop anytime she can get to the litter box. We've had to block it except for a very small entrance. Thank goodness for small cats

Dogs LOVE trash. I have to keep the kitchen trash in another room & my bathroom trash in the cupboard under the sink.
My Corgi/mixes always ate kitty poop if they could get near the litter box AND I was always catching them digging up her pooh spot in the yard! I always called them Kitty Cookies or Sh*t Snacks, depending on how annoyed I was at that time! lol The stench on their breath was disgusting. Now that Sandy is 12.5, he seems disinterested in this behavior.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
A lot of people on the yorkie forum I visit give their dog pineapple. It's supposed to make their poop taste bad. They say it works . . . I might have to try it. Problem IS - I'd have to get Ringo to eat it since she is only interested in HIS poop.

Gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs