Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
unfortunately, eating poop (be it dog, cat, goose, whatever-is-there) is NOT an uncommon occurrence for our canine friends.......

maybe this upset tummy will teach her a lesson.......

in the meantime, you may want to be even more vigilant about poop patrol in the yard........

The few of ours that have eaten it & thrown up... never learned a lesson from it. Darn it.

Some dogs eat it... some dogs don't.
Some dogs learn from the other dog.
Some dogs won't
Some dogs only like it when the turds are frozen (fudgesicles so to speak to a dog).Other dogs get grossed out by the dogs that do eat it.
Some dogs eat it just fine.
Some dogs throw it up.

I feel like Dog Seuss LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 16,821 times
Our 6 month old shih tzu likes to eat duck poop. We live on a lake with lots of canadian geese and ducks so we've always had him use puppy pads by the door in the house. Since he was always going to the door to use them we thought it would be a good idea to start taking him out to go when he went to the door. Last Friday, we took him out for the first time and he tried to eat a piece of duck poo which we quickly grabbed out of his mouth. Now we notice he's coughing...dry, hacking cough...not very often, but once every other day or so. Can this be related to the goose poop?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:37 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Haha. That's funny. My yorkie is such a dainty princess - doesn't like to get her feet wet; doesn't like the snow or cold; but she will search out my other dog's poop like it's GOLD.

Now it's all frozen to the ground and hard to pick up.

It's a poopcicle
My Aussie Terrier also can sniff out on walks the tiny hard poop, gross
her nose just knows where it is. At least she has not got sick from it.
She also is the only dog to do this however, I heard the cat litter box is
a feast for some dogs!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon ann View Post
Our 6 month old shih tzu likes to eat duck poop. We live on a lake with lots of canadian geese and ducks so we've always had him use puppy pads by the door in the house. Since he was always going to the door to use them we thought it would be a good idea to start taking him out to go when he went to the door. Last Friday, we took him out for the first time and he tried to eat a piece of duck poo which we quickly grabbed out of his mouth. Now we notice he's coughing...dry, hacking cough...not very often, but once every other day or so. Can this be related to the goose poop?
god only knows what bacteria is lurking in wild animals
get the poor dog into the vet

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon ann View Post
Diseases / problems dogs can get from eating avian feces:

Lepto
Intestinal parasites
Avian flu
Coccidosis

Intestinal parasites aren't too big a deal. Stop at the local TSC or similar store and grab some Safe Guard. Same active ingredient as Panacur. The others however are extremely dangerous and require an immediate trip to the vet. Avian flu and coccidosis are commonly fatal and while a dog can survive lepto with no intervention they're often left with permanent damage to liver and kidneys.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Does anyone know how much water a **** zu should drink when its been sick
i was told 2 quarts a day but that seems like a lot of water for a 12 pound dog

Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,697 times
I was looking for something else but came across this:

Dogs that have a need to eat their own poops - Vitamin B Deficiency(Biotin)
Add to daily diet a low B-complex tablet (crush) daily into meals.

It's here: cat herbal herb remedies, herbs that heal cats, alternative meds for cats, nature medicine for cats with a long list of herbs, etc for cats and dogs.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 18,853 times
My boxer (6 years) has a bad habit of this as well. Here I thought he'd given up using my house as a toilet but he's just been eating it as he leave it. In fact, at this very moment I've just cleaned up another mess he's left after his tummy has so strongly objected to his choice of snacks. My vet told me when he was a puppy there is some sort of an enzyme powder you can get from them (the vet) to put in their food makes their poo particularly nasty so they won't eat it (because apparently being poo in and of itself isn't nasty enough).

Worst part of mine is getting the rest of his pack dive on it after he throws it back up like it's Thanksgiving leftovers. (NO ONE gets kisses today).

And in case you ever feel the need to get a cat, be weary, dogs LOOOVE cat poo too

Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
Thank you all! She's stopped throwing up now. I live on 5 acres and with all the snow, I missed this pile. I watch her as best I can, but I can't walk on the snow/ice due to a brain surgery recovery, thus this issue occurred. This was the first time she's done it, and will be the last.

I appreciate the input- I've never had a dog do this, and I was quite scared.

Thanks again!
Maybe for your own recovery you should put her on a lead and keep her away from any piles. You can possibly let a puppy run 5 acres just yet. Good luck. Sometimes something bland like boiled rice will feel ok to her right now. But mostly I'd just let her recover...

Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,792 times
Hmmm... hope my dog don't develop that bad habit... eek.
Hoping, praying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs