Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM

21 posts, read 406,826 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I rescued a dog from the pound in October, and she is a sweetheart. She is a terrier/hound mix and alittle over one year old. Since we got her shes randomly had hacking and gaggling fits. During these she is constantly licking the ground and the air and starts trying to eat everything. She also tries to vomit but usually cant or only gets a small amount of clear/white phlem. She looks very unhappy while it is happening. Also during these fits she kind of snorts, its deep and through the nose and throat. We have treated her for kennel cough because that is what we first thought it was. Of course she only does it on the weekend when we cant go to the vet. I will call them on wednesday, but I am worried about her because I dont want her to eat something and choke on it. And I feel horrible having to crate her while she is doing it, but it is the only things that helps. Please help me and Roxy! She did it all night long last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
My dog does this when he gets hair in his throat from grooming himself or from the carpet. We found that "fuzzy toys" also will trigger it so, no more fuzzies.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:19 AM

we have an appointment for tuesday. We have went to the vet for this probably 4 or 5 times already, but when we get there the symptoms are not showing and she seems like a perfectly healthy dog. The last time we thought it was kennel cough and treated for that but it still happens about once a month. Im going to have our vet x-ray her on tuesday. Its just everyone I ask that I know who knows dogs has never seen this before, and Im just hoping I can find someone that has had the same experience and can tell me what they did that helped so I could help my dog. I hate to see her suffer.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Sorry, I deleted my post and only meant to edit it. When she has these attacks, what was she doing prior to the onset? Was she inside or outside? Could something be irritating her throat that she's eating? My Lab's throat got real irritated eating pine and mulch outside. I have to watch him like he's a toddler. Some dog's airways can become inflamed due to household products. I had a dog once start gagging because he was sensitive to the carpet freshener I used. Maybe it's a household product you've just used when this happens. You might want to ask your vet to do a bronchoscopy.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Last night she started after we were playing with her with her fuzzy toy. Other times she will wake up from sleeping and doing it. It is usually one of the two. I will ask him to do that. Thanks you.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:32 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
The snorting deep through the nose and throat sounds might be what is called reverse sneezing. My bulldog did it when she was younger, now she only does it once in awhile. Sometimes when they do that if you rub their throat it will help them stop.

As far as the throwing up, some dogs are just prone to this. Like people they have sensitive stomachs.

Hope you will be able to figure out whats going on with your girl.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
My pug does this after drinking water. I think it gets in her nose, since she has such a flat snout. It is annoying and scary at first. But if she is healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. My pug used to eat the lint off my new carpet and she did this a lot!! Now we have to watch her b/c she likes to eat the "hay looking" junk in the basket of our fake plants! So you have to watch them like they're kids.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Is there any way you can video an episode to show your vet? It might be helpful.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I had a dog who coughed and hacked one day, out of the blue. I thought she had something stuck in her throat so we went to the vet. Turned out she had tonsillitis. Maybe you dog has a low-grade tonsil infection? Ask your vet.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-28-2009 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2009, 01:31 PM

im gonna try to record it on my cell phone the next time she does it to show to the vet. thank you very much everyone, they all sound like possible things. Ill ask my vet to definitely check her out. It could very well be hair in her throat. for a short haired dog she sure does shed a real lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs