Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,483 times

Advertisements

If you google reverse sneezing, there are some youtube sites that you can watch to see if that sounds like what your dog is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 AM

21 posts, read 406,838 times
it does sound similar to reverse sneezing. we have a beagle that does that all the time. this is something different, its scary to watch. last night she did it again and she eventually ended up vomiting alot. i feel so bad for her. I got it on my digital camera though so I can show my vet. It appears like she is trying to hack something up but at the same time she is trying to eat everything, licking the air, licking the ground and in the corners trying to get everything, even the dust.Right now she is fine though. I hate this. Im so confused.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
I got it on my digital camera though so I can show my vet

Good idea!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,438 times
It could be reverse sneezing, has you dog had a blood test done, has the dog been chewing on stuffed toys? Sometimes those fibers get in the throat, sometimes dogs get a tracheal collapse, (thats a gagging like cough not your normal cough)this can stem from other disorders such as cushing disease, I mention that because you said your dog is craving food, cushings dogs will want to eat all the time and have a pot belly, they look like they have lost weight in the shoulder areas and sides, and the bulk is in their belly. With my pet the tracheal collapse could happen during the day and mostly happened when my dog was going to sleep (relaxing) is your dog panting alot? Your dog is only 1 yr old, tho cushings seems to appear in middle aged dogs, has your pet been given any steriod type drugs ?
I hope this is something minor, let us know what happens at the vet.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Sounds like a gastric upset. When dogs get a bad stomach, they start licking things on the ground in an effort to make themselves try to vomit. You might want to try Pepcid AC and see if that helps.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM

150 posts, read 980,798 times
My dog also had this problem. He did all the things you are describing. After numerous vet visits and different tests, he's now one Pepcid AC, and that has alleviated the problem. We also cut out all people food (much to his dismay). Luckily, he's been fine since we started the Pepcid.

Hope your dog is feeling better, and that things go well at the vet's office.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM

21 posts, read 406,838 times
If the vet finds nothing wrong I am totally trying the Pepcid AC. Now with that would you only give them one if they are having this "attack"?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 87,555 times
My dog is doing this exact thing, he started last thursday. I have been to three different vets and no one can tell me what is wrong. I plan on taking him to another vet today. The last vet gave me something very similar to Pepcid AC and I gave it to him during one of his episodes, but it did not work. I feel so bad for him, he is only 1. Unfortunately i havent been able to catch one of his episodes on video so it makes it harder for the vet to be able to tell what it is. I dont even know what I should have the vet check for.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 AM

150 posts, read 980,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowndisco88 View Post
If the vet finds nothing wrong I am totally trying the Pepcid AC. Now with that would you only give them one if they are having this "attack"?

Your vet will give you the correct dosing instructions for your dog, but mine gets Pepcid every night. He has a sensitive stomach, and since we never know when it's going to start, it's better to prevent it.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowndisco88 View Post
My boyfriend and I rescued a dog from the pound in October, and she is a sweetheart. She is a terrier/hound mix and alittle over one year old. Since we got her shes randomly had hacking and gaggling fits. During these she is constantly licking the ground and the air and starts trying to eat everything. She also tries to vomit but usually cant or only gets a small amount of clear/white phlem. She looks very unhappy while it is happening. Also during these fits she kind of snorts, its deep and through the nose and throat. We have treated her for kennel cough because that is what we first thought it was. Of course she only does it on the weekend when we cant go to the vet. I will call them on wednesday, but I am worried about her because I dont want her to eat something and choke on it. And I feel horrible having to crate her while she is doing it, but it is the only things that helps. Please help me and Roxy! She did it all night long last night.
She has an upset stomach. You can give her some Pepto for it, or check with your vet about which OTC tablet would be safe to give her when she does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs