Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:41 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Sure have, especially in a dog who was semi-feral or abandoned or any such. How long have you had her?
It's possible she has some sort of post-nasal drip that only kicks in when she lies down.
As for the separation anxiety, that should ease. A mild vet-ordered sedative might help.
Thank you so much for adopting this gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 15,839 times
Red face Let mother nature heal them..

I do agree with the other post as to it being an upset stomach. I have a miniature poodle and he has had these same symptoms a couple of times. Let the dog outside and you will notice that he/she will start to lick the dirt and eat the grass. Allow them to do this until they indicate they are done( my dog can go for about 10 minutes straight), once finished just keep an eye on them. The grass and dirt cause some type of reaction and they will throw everything up within an hour or so. Good luck, I know how scary it is to see that for the first time.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM

123 posts, read 245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowndisco88 View Post
My boyfriend and I rescued a dog from the pound in October, and she is a sweetheart. She is a terrier/hound mix and alittle over one year old. Since we got her shes randomly had hacking and gaggling fits. During these she is constantly licking the ground and the air and starts trying to eat everything. She also tries to vomit but usually cant or only gets a small amount of clear/white phlem. She looks very unhappy while it is happening. Also during these fits she kind of snorts, its deep and through the nose and throat. We have treated her for kennel cough because that is what we first thought it was. Of course she only does it on the weekend when we cant go to the vet. I will call them on wednesday, but I am worried about her because I dont want her to eat something and choke on it. And I feel horrible having to crate her while she is doing it, but it is the only things that helps. Please help me and Roxy! She did it all night long last night.
My dog did this. It is a result of stomach pain/upset. My dog eventually died, possibly of stomach cancer, according to the vet. Have your vet take a look and see if you can get a feel for what is going on in there.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 15,529 times
Red face In hopes of a simple and successful resolution, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
My dog did this. It is a result of stomach pain/upset. My dog eventually died, possibly of stomach cancer, according to the vet. Have your vet take a look and see if you can get a feel for what is going on in there.

My 3 year old beagle, Lucky, has had the same symptoms ever since she was a pup with coughing once or twice (as if something went down the wrong pipe and immediately after she hacks up whatever is irritating her but nothing ever comes out (sounds like shes trying to hock a loogie). She has been dealing with reverse sneezing ever since she was a pup as well. The noises she makes during one of her reverse sneeze attacks is not the same noise i hear when she is coughing/hacking. The R.S. (reverse sneeze) happens randomly during the day and at night while she sleeps. It sometimes wakes her and myself up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night. The intensity varies but can get very loud and painful sounding. Sounds more like gasping for air/cannot breath, exhaling, cough, choking noise. Up until a fellow dog lover at the dog park told me what to do to reduce the intensity and/or length of the reverse sneeze attack, i was truly worried. Especially after taking her to the Vet and leaving with no answers, just increased anxiety and the fearful feeling of helplessness.

To sooth and reduce the intensity of her present R.S. episodes, I was told to lightly cover her snout while rubbing her neck softly with a calming tone while talking to her. I would basically plug her nose for about 5-10 seconds, leaving her to breath through her mouth which 98% of the time worked and if her attack continued after first treatment, i would hold her snout again for a couple seconds, which ultimately does the job! ) and before you know it shes off running, tail wagging, chipper as ever, as if it never happened. I also did my own research and learned that R.S. is not a critical threat, for it is pretty common in all dogs. She has been reverse sneezing ever since I adopted her 3 years ago, as well as the hacking/coughing attacks.

Another issue I noticed was, almost 80% of the time, ranging from 1 minute to 5 minutes after she'd drink water from her bowl, she'd regurgitate a clear liquid, assuming it was the water she just inhaled. So, i researched about both reverse sneezing and unsettling water issue and found resolutions that work to this day. The regurgitating of water after drinking has to do with drinking from ground level. All I had to do was elevate her food and water bowl to about chest high. I used a plastic storage box with a dinner mat on top (or go to your local pet store and purchase raised feeding bowls) and she hasn't had any regurgitating clear liquid/water problems ever since.

I mention all this because there are a hand full of reasons, or triggers, as to what could be causing my precious love and joy to cough and hack up whatever is irritating her, (referring to the first issue i mentioned at the beginning of my story, the only unresolved issue basically). After reading this thread and particularly something you mentioned, Blueberry Pancake, about stomach cancer possibly being the cause of your pups death, and I'm sorry to hear that by the way, it got me thinking how i could go about getting the right tests done and asking the right questions, even if it is a dictionary size list of questions. Everyone reading/replying to this thread, Lucky and I need an explanation/answers and (crossing fingers it's nothing serious) a simple resolution and successful recovery! I'm speaking for everyone here and their furry friends, it is never fun going to the Vet, especially leaving with no resolution or answers only feeling more worried and confused than you were going in. Ideally, a resolution is desired for anyone, a simple, successful resolution. (crossing fingers!)

If you could please, or anyone for that matter, list off all potential viruses, etc., from Kennel Cough to Distemper, and the necessary test/s needed to identify the issue/source/cause/trigger for each potentially threatening virus, bacteria, disease, associated with what my pup and everyone's pet are going through.I am planning on taking Lucky to the Vet as soon as i have a better understanding of what kinds of questions i should be asking. I have been jobless for almost a year now, luckily i still have Lucky under a standard pet plan with my Vet, which will cover initial visit and other minor procedures (like teeth cleaning, grooming, etc.), but anything further in depth will not be covered. Therefore, any and everyone's help/advice/answers would greatly help reduce the costs by minimizing unnecessary expenses/tests, which will ultimately leave all expenses to treatment, if needed at all. Hoping to hear some good news and/or some answers, she is my life, my baby and i can't bare seeing her in pain. Thank you so much for the feedback/help! It is grrrrrreatly appreciated and will be paid forward! Stay strong and positive, everyone and good luck!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamtam315 View Post
My 3 year old beagle, Lucky, has had the same symptoms ever since she was a pup with coughing once or twice (as if something went down the wrong pipe and immediately after she hacks up whatever is irritating her but nothing ever comes out (sounds like shes trying to hock a loogie). She has been dealing with reverse sneezing ever since she was a pup as well. The noises she makes during one of her reverse sneeze attacks is not the same noise i hear when she is coughing/hacking. The R.S. (reverse sneeze) happens randomly during the day and at night while she sleeps. It sometimes wakes her and myself up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night. The intensity varies but can get very loud and painful sounding. Sounds more like gasping for air/cannot breath, exhaling, cough, choking noise. Up until a fellow dog lover at the dog park told me what to do to reduce the intensity and/or length of the reverse sneeze attack, i was truly worried. Especially after taking her to the Vet and leaving with no answers, just increased anxiety and the fearful feeling of helplessness.

To sooth and reduce the intensity of her present R.S. episodes, I was told to lightly cover her snout while rubbing her neck softly with a calming tone while talking to her. I would basically plug her nose for about 5-10 seconds, leaving her to breath through her mouth which 98% of the time worked and if her attack continued after first treatment, i would hold her snout again for a couple seconds, which ultimately does the job! ) and before you know it shes off running, tail wagging, chipper as ever, as if it never happened. I also did my own research and learned that R.S. is not a critical threat, for it is pretty common in all dogs. She has been reverse sneezing ever since I adopted her 3 years ago, as well as the hacking/coughing attacks.

Another issue I noticed was, almost 80% of the time, ranging from 1 minute to 5 minutes after she'd drink water from her bowl, she'd regurgitate a clear liquid, assuming it was the water she just inhaled. So, i researched about both reverse sneezing and unsettling water issue and found resolutions that work to this day. The regurgitating of water after drinking has to do with drinking from ground level. All I had to do was elevate her food and water bowl to about chest high. I used a plastic storage box with a dinner mat on top (or go to your local pet store and purchase raised feeding bowls) and she hasn't had any regurgitating clear liquid/water problems ever since.

I mention all this because there are a hand full of reasons, or triggers, as to what could be causing my precious love and joy to cough and hack up whatever is irritating her, (referring to the first issue i mentioned at the beginning of my story, the only unresolved issue basically). After reading this thread and particularly something you mentioned, Blueberry Pancake, about stomach cancer possibly being the cause of your pups death, and I'm sorry to hear that by the way, it got me thinking how i could go about getting the right tests done and asking the right questions, even if it is a dictionary size list of questions. Everyone reading/replying to this thread, Lucky and I need an explanation/answers and (crossing fingers it's nothing serious) a simple resolution and successful recovery! I'm speaking for everyone here and their furry friends, it is never fun going to the Vet, especially leaving with no resolution or answers only feeling more worried and confused than you were going in. Ideally, a resolution is desired for anyone, a simple, successful resolution. (crossing fingers!)

If you could please, or anyone for that matter, list off all potential viruses, etc., from Kennel Cough to Distemper, and the necessary test/s needed to identify the issue/source/cause/trigger for each potentially threatening virus, bacteria, disease, associated with what my pup and everyone's pet are going through.I am planning on taking Lucky to the Vet as soon as i have a better understanding of what kinds of questions i should be asking. I have been jobless for almost a year now, luckily i still have Lucky under a standard pet plan with my Vet, which will cover initial visit and other minor procedures (like teeth cleaning, grooming, etc.), but anything further in depth will not be covered. Therefore, any and everyone's help/advice/answers would greatly help reduce the costs by minimizing unnecessary expenses/tests, which will ultimately leave all expenses to treatment, if needed at all. Hoping to hear some good news and/or some answers, she is my life, my baby and i can't bare seeing her in pain. Thank you so much for the feedback/help! It is grrrrrreatly appreciated and will be paid forward! Stay strong and positive, everyone and good luck!
No this list is too extensive that's why you need a vet. But what was never mentioned on this thread that should be ruled out is Megaesophagus. FYI I'm the type of person who thinks of this alot and also worst case scenarios so don't freak out.

Go to the vet and explain all the symptoms and the regurgitation. They will know what to ask and what to test for. Ask about Megaesophagus. The test for this is called a barium swallow. It's a series of xrays where they give the dog a special food and watch it go down over time and how long it takes and the route it takes or if it gets stuck etc.

The raised bowl helping is a little clue.

She could have many various GI disorders from acid reflux to a gi bacteria, to a slow digestive system to something physically wrong in her "throat" to Megaesophagus (that you do NOT want). The fact that you didn't say she regurgitates food is a good sign but she may have a mild case that needs to be dealt with (like anything) before it gets worse. Overnights are always worse with these things. They will ask if she ever regurgitates yellow bile or does she vomit. VOMIT is heaving sides. Yous said regurgitate which is a red flag and means just PLOP they hack and something comes up (or tries to come up) not heaving sides/ribs/abdomen before it comes up. But she could have both regurge and vomiting with any of these.

They can also do things like give her two antibiotics without tests just IN CASE it's a bacteria, for example. Sometimes they'll advise you to use a nebulizer with medication in it. (like a breathing mask to get the med in the lungs. It really depends on what they think. They don't have a magic eight ball to tell them the answers easily with this type of thing.

You can join this Yahoo group to learn more about Megaesophagus if you want, but go to the vet as soon as you can . The photo you see on the site is a special feeding chair for dogs who have it for real, and replaces the raised bowls. There are all kinds of tips on this board and advise even for dogs who do not have a diagnosis or recently diagnosed.
megaesophagus : Megaesophagus

Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowndisco88 View Post
Just to let you all know, Roxy and I just got back from the vet and he believes that it is allergies, and also might be a food allergy because of the licking of her rear end. So I got her some allergy medicine and am going to change to a food that he recommended. Thanks you all so much for your help! I also got her microchipped so I can never lose her. I just feel really bad because the needle was so big!
If I were you, I would try something I've just heard about. I'm sure it could not hurt. Get some plain, Chobani Greek yogurt (other kinds of Greek yogurt might be fine, but Chobani is gluten free, full of probiotics, safe for the lactose intolerant, and kosher if your dog is Jewish LOL), freeze it in the compartments of an ice cube tray. Give your dog one or two a day and see if it helps at all. I have heard its very good for the dogs digestive system, and they love it.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM

93 posts, read 332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Is there any way you can video an episode to show your vet? It might be helpful.
I was just going to suggest that. Good thinking!!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 15,324 times
How is Roxy doing now?
My Blue Tick Coonhound is having episodes of gagging reflex and licking the floor. We changed his food and he was doing well for quite some time....happened again though.

Last edited by CraftPups; 12-16-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 13,988 times
Dewarming may be the answer because I have heard from my vet that the worms try to crawl up the throat and irritate their throat.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM

237 posts, read 967,642 times
I have a puppy that does this too. I have done a lot of research and I believe it is acid reflux. His symptoms since I got him are quick fast hack at least once a day. Throws up yellow bile at least once a week. Lately he has had two episodes. Hack and then runs outside to eat grass and then comes in hack hack and then yellow bile comes up. Then uncomfortable and will lick his lips for 15 minutes. Then he is fine. I was told the hack noise was from collapse trachea where as he is a yorkie. I am starting to think it is more of a acid reflux symptom. Does any of your dogs make the hack noise when they are licking the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs