Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 71,137 times

Advertisements

Hey. I was told by the owner that my dog is a choc.lab/boxer mix, but I've been told that he looks a lot like a pitbull. What do you guys think? I'm going to move back to Miami soon and I want to know if I will have problems. I read the law and it said that pitbulls/mixes are not allowed, but people have been telling me that general characteristics also apply.
Attached Thumbnails
Does my dog look like a pitbull?-kitty-puppy-044.jpg   Does my dog look like a pitbull?-kitty-puppy-057.jpg   Does my dog look like a pitbull?-kitty-puppy-059.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 04:04 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
I'm not an expert but he looks like a chocolate lab mix to me...and he is adorable!!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:15 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I'm not an expert but he looks like a chocolate lab mix to me...and he is adorable!!
Ditto here! He's a cutie!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,768 times
It does look a bit like a chocolate lab/pitt mix to me, and adorable! I understand your concerns since Miami is not pitt friendly. It's hard to tell from a puppy...right now looks alot lab though. Lots of cuteness

Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
Don't you just love puppies! That is definately chocolate lab, if anybody ask. Anything else that hopped over the fence looks of minimal influence. Boxers were bred of Mastiff's and Bulldogs, so it's possible he's got some of that in him. I'd call him a Lab, though.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I would suggest that you get him DNA tested.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Definately dominating pitbull in the pup! Tooo cute! I would get a DNA and vet papers or papers from wherever you got it saying it is a Lab/Mix. Otherwise you could end up having your dog taken away as an adult in Miami. As a former rescuer and adopter many times little pit pups were passed off as lab mixes, not that there is anything wrong with a pit but there are alot of ignorant people out there. Most people who ended up with a pit puppy they thought was a lab mix ended up being a strong ambassador to the pitbull breed. They learned first hand that the breed mix they thought they were getting turned out to be a breed they now love and would never have it any other way! Good luck the pup is a cutie! Maybe stay away from Miami! That would be the best choice!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:08 PM

146 posts, read 738,679 times
He IS adorable!

UGH! BSL sucks!
I have Rotties, so Im on the soon to be BSL list too!

The only way to determine if he is a PitBull is to have a DNA test done. Ever notice how dog bite attacks/media coverage describe the breed as "pitbull type" dogs?

Uninformed and uneducated people will just assume that the breed is dangerous, and will fear them sight unseen.

We adopted our female from the local shelter, and she looked just like a rottie pup. The shelter worker wrote shepherd/mix on her papers, and told us this would help in case we had problems with homeowners insurance, etc (future BSL).
Luckily, she IS a shepherd.........an English Shepherd LOL!

I agree, try to stay out of Dade county. Also check the county regulations so you know what to expect.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:19 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I adopted a dog this last spring that I'm pretty sure is lab and boxer - my other dog is Am Staff and Kelpie (or Blue Heeler, dunno which), and I can see it in her, but definitely not the other.

The boxer/lab is long and lean and runs like a greyhound, but the shelter wrote "pit cross" on her paperwork and thus she stays. Although where the tail is from, I can't even guess - it's extremely flexible and thin and she can curl it into a perfect question mark.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
In a discussion on TV of possible BSL in 2 towns in Utah, the news featured a man they called the owner of the largest dog training facility in UT. He said he had very few calls about pitties but the most frequent biters were Chihuahuas and Jack Russell Terriers. Although the chihuahua can't do the same damage, they bite frequently. Don't hate me chi owners, just reportting what the man said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs