Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times

Advertisements

why? considering all the stats about potential harm they could do to other dogs and humans, why would you want one. arent you afraid of lawsuits or harm coming to a loved one? just curious as to why you'd want to take such a risk.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
Too many people are swayed in opinions by those "stats".

I love my APBT. And that's the ONLY reason I need to "want" her.
And I'm not worried a bit about her "harming" anyone.
It's not a risk to have an APBT as far as I'm concerned.

I only wish people would become more educated on the APBT. *Sigh*

Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Pitbullmommie has changed my view on APBT. I think the stats don't mention the IDIOTS who own the dogs which attacked someone.

I mentioned in an earlier post, the only time I feel safe around APBT (sorry if I get the moniker wrong-I know there is staffordshire) is at AKC Dog shows.

The truth is, and I am not knowledgablen on pit bulls, if one buys responsibly from an AKC breeder/owner, and knows the breed, raises it correctly and spends time with one, there shouldn't be any problem.

Now, I will step aside and let the owners answer the OP questions.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
nicolepsy - agreed. Not a breed I particularly like, I think it is those yellow-y eyes. Some people like them a lot though.

Personally I would never consider getting one from a shelter full grown (maybe a puppy though?) - who knows how those things were raised, and in that particular breed, I would think that factor is #1 important.

And our local shelter, that is ALL they have is PB and PB mixes, and I mean that is ALL. Checked last week, all 25 dogs they had were that breed.

Those dogs (and certain other breeds) are just too much responsibility for me, and it is sad that those dogs are held to a higher standard that most other breeds. Don't want that hanging over my head. Cudos to those that are responsible breeders and owners that want to "take back the breed".

Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 AM

273 posts, read 1,338,910 times
if you are around one for more than a day...then you'll understand why. They're incredibly loving and playful dogs. They are beautiful and athletic. They come in all different types of colors and multiple shapes and sizes. They'll just come up and plop right on your lap while you're watching tv and let you rub their belly. In fact I think for people that arent abusive, weak-minded, or down right idiots, that they are the perfect dog to own. Better than any other breed in my opinion, and its a shame most communities and insurance companies wont "allow" them.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
The question that I always want to ask is, with all the many other breeds to choose from, why choose a pit bull puppy?

Just about all puppies are lovable, cute and desirable. But knowing that sometimes the pit bull may turn out to be dangerous, doesn't keep people from breeding or buying them. Why?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
as far as im concerned my chihuahua is a big enough responsibility so i still dont understand why anyone would want to take on the overwhelming responsibility of a pitbull. I have never felt brave enough to get close enough to notice any yellow eyes as a previous poster stated. do any of you ever feel that you just cant trust your own dog. all animals have wild instincts that could appear in a flash with no warning so how can you feel safe with a pitbull who seems much more likely than other breeds to freak out in a deadly way? my point is that no matter how you raise them how do you know that someday they wont snap?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Why choose a Lab ? Why choose a retiever ? Because we do.

I had a lab / golden retriever mix that tried TWICE to attack two different children. Charged and jumped straight for the face.

Pitbulls, like anything raised properly are not dangerous. They do not suddenly 'snap' like the myths would tell you.

If you look up the AKC, IKC, CKC, UKC, CKC and look at the attributes for Staffordshire Bull Terrier they are reccomended for children. I own a Staff and had one in Ireland and have never met a dog that is more powerful and playfull, yet gracefull around children and other people. They make terrible guard dogs because of their love of people, which many people cannot believe.

A point about the resuces, you have to be carefull about every dog you rescue from a shelter. You havent raised them from birth, you dont know their history. You do not know the one cruel thing that their owner did that may make them bite, its not just true for pitbulls. Rescue shelters would not adopt out dogs they thought where dangerous.

If you look on the news and see 'pitbull' attacks you will notice a few things. Firstly, in allot of the cases the dog is an X breed, but sure why not lump it in. Secondly, ive noticed allot how a 'family' dog just snapped and attacked a person or dog or whatever. And the news crew shows the yard and whatnot. You see a shelter for the dog, water and food, and a big chain, nice green lawn with a brown area around hte house. Dogs that dont get off chains arent family dogs IMO, theyre abused dogs!

I am the proud onwer of a Staff as I said. He is a family dog. He plays with my kids, he plays with other dogs. His best k9 friend is a Great Pyrenese. And because some ignorant dirtbag decidese my breed is good to abuse and fight I constantly have to fight predgeduce (sp!). People are afraid when they see him because they see Michael Vick walking a fighter not Brian with his wife and kids walking a beloved pet.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
as far as im concerned my chihuahua is a big enough responsibility so i still dont understand why anyone would want to take on the overwhelming responsibility of a pitbull. I have never felt brave enough to get close enough to notice any yellow eyes as a previous poster stated. do any of you ever feel that you just cant trust your own dog. all animals have wild instincts that could appear in a flash with no warning so how can you feel safe with a pitbull who seems much more likely than other breeds to freak out in a deadly way? my point is that no matter how you raise them how do you know that someday they wont snap?
If a Chihuahua is a big enough dog in stature and responsibility for you and fits your lifestyle thats good for you. I personally dont like the breed.

Youre obviously scared of 'pitbulls' as you said. You really you cannot clear your mind and make a clear good judgement on the breed.

I can trust my dog 100%. Does that mean I am going to leave him alone with my kids for hours. No. I am responsible owner who loves his family and pets enough to keep an eye on both to make sure they play nice. This should be done with ANY breed.

Pitbulls are not much more likely to "freak out in a deadly way" Read previous posts here about temprement and history on the breed. Either taht or wait for Pitbullmommie to post the links

Dogs as I said, of any breed dont generally snap. People fail to realise that if you do have a good family dog, and treat it right, it can still wake up in a bad mood from time to time. Its up to you to recognise that and deal with it.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
I have to laugh at this as it was a Chihuahua that took off my friend's father thumb! My friend's father was a veterinarian at the time so not like he didn't know his way about animals

Getting back to your original question--- any dog can bite at any time; Poodles, Chihuahuas, Labs, GSDs, Border Collies.... any! Not that I haven't had fun with the Chis that board at work, but if it were down to a choice between a Chi pup or a pit breed, I'd go pit.

If you're happy with having your Chihuahua, then we're happy for you and that your dog has a forever home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs