Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,648,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
Nicolepsy, stop yelling and go back to read previous threads. Do a search on dog bite and you will see an analysis of dog jaw power.

A "measley" thumb? Obviously that wasn't your thumb that someone lost!

I don't know why you keep referring to yellow eyes. My girl and boy both have beautiful brown eyes, deep, soulful brown eyes that show me their souls. They are sweethearts who have never done anything to deserve people's disdain, fear, or anything else. In fact, everyone who has ever met them has loved them.

These dogs have taught me a great deal about prejudice being ignorance. Am I afraid of them? No! If I were afraid of them, they would not be in my house! They love children and have tolerated more pokes and pulls than I would tolerate myself. They love me unconditionally and want nothing more than to be by my side or on me.

I have had a chihuahua. I loved that dog, but she was a neurotic PITA. Yap yap yap yap. My ex thought he was getting a prize when he got her in the divorce--ha! She bit more people in 2 years than my two "scary" dogs ever have in their combined 10 years of living. (They have not bitten anyone.)

No one is going to convince you of how great our dogs are, but you asked the question. Do a search of the forum and read some of our posts about our dogs (who happen to be a certain breed) and why we love them.

Profiling in any form is prejudice. Just pray you are never on the wrong end of it.
sorry for "yelling". i was too lazy to switch off the caps! ooops!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
why? considering all the stats about potential harm they could do to other dogs and humans, why would you want one. arent you afraid of lawsuits or harm coming to a loved one? just curious as to why you'd want to take such a risk.
First I'll say, I don't think anyone who has a Pit Bull is trying to convince others to get one - they are way too popular already, so I'm glad that you and some others who've posted here don't want them, that's really for the best .

For myself, I was raised with dogs of all kinds and more often than not those were of the bull breeds (Pit Bull/Bull Terrier/Staffordshire Terrier). Honestly, we never cared what the breed was, my dad wanted a particular type of dog and bull breeds usually fit the bill.......never had a problem with any of them - all were from the pound, not "purebred" and most were around a year of age when adopted.

Now I'm an adult, and Pit Bulls have long been my favorite breed. They are neat, clean dogs. They have excellent senses of humor and stay very puppy-like. They loooooove people - this is not a standoffish breed at all. They're couch potatoes - they can get by with moderate exercise. By nature, psychologically, they are sound.

I have 3 dogs in my household - 2 are pit bull mixes and my most recent, a rescue, seems to be all pit bull. I did not go out of my way to have these particular types of dogs - 2 were street dogs/rescues and one was chosen from the pound. The most recent, the rescue, is somewhere between a year and two years of age (no real way to determine). She is fitting in fine. She has given us no cause for concern for possible aggression - she is very passive and sweet.

We even recently had a friend walk into our house without us in it (we were outside doing something and he went inside). This dog had never seen this guy before and she had him alone for 3 or 4 minutes until we walked inside, she did not so much as growl at him (okay, so she's not going to be our best watchdog !). We hadn't even thought about it until after it happened. Our dogs have always been so good with everyone, I guess we assumed this one would be too (and so far, she is ).

My pit bulls/pit bull mixes have never so much as had a harsh word with anyone who has entered our home - I would be shocked if they did because it would be so out of their nature. Don't get me wrong, my male is an awesome watchdog and he is the lead, but he also knows the difference between good people and bad people.

So no, I'm not worried that they would bring harm to anyone. They've been around friends' kids, infants even. I have other small animals and while it's too soon to completely trust the new dog, I think she'll follow suit with the others and she'll be fine around our small pets too.

I do worry about losing my homeowners insurance simply for having them in my home (breed discrimination), but I do what I can to minimize that risk.

Why would I choose to have them? Because I understand them .

Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Nicolepsy, stop yelling and go back to read previous threads. Do a search on dog bite and you will see an analysis of dog jaw power.

A "measley" thumb? Obviously that wasn't your thumb that someone lost!

I don't know why you keep referring to yellow eyes. My girl and boy both have beautiful brown eyes, deep, soulful brown eyes that show me their souls. They are sweethearts who have never done anything to deserve people's disdain, fear, or anything else. In fact, everyone who has ever met them has loved them.

These dogs have taught me a great deal about prejudice being ignorance. Am I afraid of them? No! If I were afraid of them, they would not be in my house! They love children and have tolerated more pokes and pulls than I would tolerate myself. They love me unconditionally and want nothing more than to be by my side or on me.

I have had a chihuahua. I loved that dog, but she was a neurotic PITA. Yap yap yap yap. My ex thought he was getting a prize when he got her in the divorce--ha! She bit more people in 2 years than my two "scary" dogs ever have in their combined 10 years of living. (They have not bitten anyone.)

No one is going to convince you of how great our dogs are, but you asked the question. Do a search of the forum and read some of our posts about our dogs (who happen to be a certain breed) and why we love them.

Profiling in any form is prejudice. Just pray you are never on the wrong end of it.
i only said "measley" for comparison to a head.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times
Most of the bad dogs, no matter what the breed, have bad owners.

I have seen a lot of very well mannered Pit-Bulls and I have seen a few really bad ones. Even though I admit to be very cautious when it comes to them heading up to my Australian Shepherds, if the owner assures me they are well trained and I see them behaving calmly I see no problem with them.

I can usually tell if it is going to be a bad pitbull (or any dog for that matter) from 25 feet away.

These dogs can be very docile when in the right hands. It is those who get them to "look" cool that usually have no control over them and give them a bad name.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
i only said "measley" for comparison to a head.
I dont keep referring to yellow eyes. someone else posted that and i only responded once that i never get close enuf to notice the yellow eyes that THEY mentioned.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Most of the bad dogs, no matter what the breed, have bad owners.

I have seen a lot of very well mannered Pit-Bulls and I have seen a few really bad ones. Even though I admit to be very cautious when it comes to them heading up to my Australian Shepherds, if the owner assures me they are well trained and I see them behaving calmly I see no problem with them.

I can usually tell if it is going to be a bad pitbull (or any dog for that matter) from 25 feet away.

These dogs can be very docile.
could you give me the warning signs please so that i can feel more comfortable?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I dont keep referring to yellow eyes. someone else posted that and i only responded once that i never get close enuf to notice the yellow eyes that THEY mentioned.
I would be concerned if my dogs had yellow eyes - do you mean the whites are yellow? That sounds like a sick dog .

My dogs eyes are brown, brown and hazel-gold.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
could you give me the warning signs please so that i can feel more comfortable?
Same as any other dog, no different. You should know the signs of dog agression if you take your dog in public.

Your own toy dog will display aggression in the same manner that a pit bull would - it's all the same canine language .

Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 AM

216 posts, read 830,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozin View Post
My first introduction to a pit bull was a neighbors dog that would not allow me to collect my mail. This same dog killed pet rabbits and other pets in the neighborhood and little was done about it until it killed a tiny poodle.

The dog ran loose and had no supervision much less companionship. Others I met after that were trained to be mean, in fact the owners were mean.

Then one day I adopted a Boston Terrier, or at least that is what I was told. But as it grew it began to look suspicously like a pit. I could not give her up at that point, so it was train her or worry about her interaction with others.

I was once ignorant about chihuahua's, I thought they all yapped and bite. Until one day I was handed one the size of a rat and fell in love. Now I have two rescued tiny chihuahuas because they aren't what I assumed at all. I think it's just that people spoil them when they are so tiny, and they get possesive and obnoxious.

Here is a picture of two of my fourlegged kids. One a blue eyed pit mix and a small chihuahua. You would have more to fear from the malfunctioning lazy boy they are sitting on then either of these precious animals.
Oh, what a beauty!!!!

Strange, no yellow eyes on that vicious dog just looking to make a meal out of the little one

Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,910,441 times
Quote:
ROFLMAO! Great pic, too!

And cbtb, I am soo glad you mentioned the chili. I could just imagine some tard thinking, "OMG, it's got blood on its face!" Vicious baby, there--yeah, vicious gas after that chili! Beautiful girl!

P.S.--I really like your tile floor, too.

I actually had a tard ask me in another thread if it was blood?
Come to think of it, she did have some powerful nitrous after the fact!....lol

*Thanks for the floor comment!*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs