Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:59 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Is she brown or black? She's beautiful...

Don't you think that the length of the nose and shape of the face is shorter and wider than a lab? As soon as the vet saw my dog she said she thought he was part pit. Now, I'm looking at his face and can see that..

My baby's black. Looks a lot like her!

edited to add: I just read the rest of the posts underneath. I think I'll call him an English Labrador from now on. I'm so glad you all talked about the wider muzzle and face - I didn't know about them!
Well, if she's a Lab/Boxer mix, that could definitely account for the shape of the face being shorter and wider. And, she is absolutely adorable!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 139,275 times
I would definately say chocolate lab. It looks almost identical to my pure bred chocolate.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,929 times
Definitely looks Lab/Boxer to me. I had a Lab/Pit cross and she looked nothing like your pup.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 135,891 times
Default Pitbull in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxiethekat View Post
Hey. I was told by the owner that my dog is a choc.lab/boxer mix, but I've been told that he looks a lot like a pitbull. What do you guys think? I'm going to move back to Miami soon and I want to know if I will have problems. I read the law and it said that pitbulls/mixes are not allowed, but people have been telling me that general characteristics also apply.

Hello, Ijust wanted to say that what you have there is a American Red Nose Pitbull Puppy.
I have one just like it.
Check his teeth, are they kind of curved like they are hooked teeth in the front and small on the sides with a gap in the jaw line, mine dose along with the reddish coat, red toenails,green eyes or maybe even brown eyes and the red noise. As he gets to be about 4 to 5 months old you will see that his shoulders and face will become more boxed like the pitbull dogs, he is a beauitful dog,and I agree just stay out of Miami and you will not have to worry about his breed. If he is a true Rednoise pit and you change his breed on paper you may mess-up on that because if you ever decided to breed or even sell the dog he would be worthless on paper, I also agree that you should do the DNA Testing to be sure but I would be willing to bet you whatever that he is a Rednoise pit bull puppy. Good Luck! https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1225688810
this is Cocoa - my full blooded American Rednoise pitbull, she is just 8 weeks here, I do not have a up to date picture right now, but she is now 4 months old and looks a lot like her father below in the face and body now.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1225688830
This is Red- Cocoa's dad.... this is what you have!!!
these's are very loving dogs if treated correctly. Good Luck with your move. Zada Ann
Attached Thumbnails
Does my dog look like a pitbull?-cocoa.jpg   Does my dog look like a pitbull?-cocoas-dad.jpg  

Last edited by ZadaAnn; 11-02-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxiethekat View Post
Hey. I was told by the owner that my dog is a choc.lab/boxer mix, but I've been told that he looks a lot like a pitbull. What do you guys think? I'm going to move back to Miami soon and I want to know if I will have problems. I read the law and it said that pitbulls/mixes are not allowed, but people have been telling me that general characteristics also apply.
It's fairly hard to tell since it's just a pup, it does kind of look like a choc lab, but it looks like a rottie also.

I had a friend years ago that had 2 rotties, and they were awesome dogs. They were very loving and gentle. Whenever i would come over they would always get up on me for attention LOL.

I agree with whoever it was that said a lot of the laws come out of ignorance. Just because of a bad incident they want to ban the entire breed

Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
Your dog looks like a chocolate lab pup. It is too hard to tell breeds as a pup often, even an older dog sometimes you can never really tell without a DNA test. You can get the Wisdom Panel DNA test which looks to be very accurate, some of the others are not so much or have less breeds. Some breeds look similar to each other and in some cases mixed breeds can really through you off with the phsyical traits they produce together. It is possible that your pup is mixed with Pit Bull since it is another popular breed. If they don't know who the sire really is then it is hard to say without a doubt the breed. I'd just call her a chocolate lab mix. Not a Lab/Boxer mix since Boxers don't have red nose that isn't believable.

Here is my chocolate brindle red nose American Pit Bull Terrier around 9 weeks old

Whatever your pup is, he is cute, enjoy him. I think you'd be "safe" moving to miami because your dog looks like a Lab, maybe a Lab mix. Of course that could change with time. It might be risky, even if you dog has no Pit Bull in the mix at all and you aren't doing wrong you still might be questioned. People have had to fight to prove that their dogs are pure bred Lab, American Bulldog or Boxer mix when they are mistaken for Pit Bulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZadaAnn View Post
Hello, Ijust wanted to say that what you have there is a American Red Nose Pitbull Puppy.
I have one just like it.
Check his teeth, are they kind of curved like they are hooked teeth in the front and small on the sides with a gap in the jaw line, mine dose along with the reddish coat, red toenails,green eyes or maybe even brown eyes and the red noise. As he gets to be about 4 to 5 months old you will see that his shoulders and face will become more boxed like the pitbull dogs, he is a beauitful dog,and I agree just stay out of Miami and you will not have to worry about his breed. If he is a true Rednoise pit and you change his breed on paper you may mess-up on that because if you ever decided to breed or even sell the dog he would be worthless on paper, I also agree that you should do the DNA Testing to be sure but I would be willing to bet you whatever that he is a Rednoise pit bull puppy. Good Luck!
this is Cocoa - my full blooded American Rednoise pitbull, she is just 8 weeks here, I do not have a up to date picture right now, but she is now 4 months old and looks a lot like her father below in the face and body now.

This is Red- Cocoa's dad.... this is what you have!!!
these's are very loving dogs if treated correctly. Good Luck with your move. Zada Ann
There is no such breed/type as "American Red Nose Pitbull" there are American Pit Bull Terriers with red noses, or black or blue. This would show the same on a DNA test which will only come back as AST (if the dog were infact a Pit Bull). The jawline/teeth fit that of several other breeds and this can even vary from pit to pit. This is why BSL profiling doesn't work, because many breeds other then Pit Bulls can fall under the same physical characteristics.

This poster seems fairly responsible and not looking to become a future backyard breeder. I doubt they want to breed a possible mixed breed without pedigree history, titles or knowledge on family health. Even if they did have an actual Pit Bull and put Lab at there vet there is really no "mess up" anyway. If they wanted to sell or rehome the dog as a Pit Bull they easily could do so. They certainly could breed said Pit and sell the pups as Pit pups no matter what vet records state on the sire. Besides that Pits are as "worthless" as Labs, being so popular they can be a dime a dozen just depends on the dog/area. I don't see why a Lab would be considered worthless when compared to a Pit Bull, different strokes for different folks. If they can sell/breed the dog as a Pit they shouldn't have a problem doing the same as a Lab. The adult male pictured above seems to have hair loss around the eyes and far too much loose skin on the neck.

There are many breeds that can have red/chocolate/liver nose including Lab and several others Boston Terrier, Ridgeback, Boerboel, Vizsla, Pharaoh Hound, Patterdale Terrier just to name a few.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,659,603 times
I agree, it is definately not a Red Nosed Pitbull. I have rescued many in the past. Plus there is no such breed specific as Red Nose Pitbull. I also hate to see these dogs or any dog chained up with heavy chain. Most that are chained up are used for guard dogs to scare people off. These dogs are not meant to be guard dogs nor chained up and if made to be one they will turn into aggressive biters. Please be a loving, responsible pitbull owner and do not breed while shelter pets are dying every day throughout the country because there are just no homes for all of them...especially pitbulls. No one wants them because they have gotten such a bad rap! Due to irresponsible owners who abuse them and chain them up! Only us specific animal lovers and rescuers will take them in because we know what we have, a loving dog just like any other if treated and raised right!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 135,912 times
Default you cant tell yet

i have a female golden/chesapek bay retriver. she is 7 mounths now and her look has changed. everyone told me sh was a pit mix and she looked it as a pup. but now she has very little looks of a pitbull.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 142,104 times
Not an expert, am a groomer. Looks like Lab to me. His nose is long, jaw appears narrower than a pit

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I agree, it is definately not a Red Nosed Pitbull. I have rescued many in the past. Plus there is no such breed specific as Red Nose Pitbull. I also hate to see these dogs or any dog chained up with heavy chain. Most that are chained up are used for guard dogs to scare people off. These dogs are not meant to be guard dogs nor chained up and if made to be one they will turn into aggressive biters. Please be a loving, responsible pitbull owner and do not breed while shelter pets are dying every day throughout the country because there are just no homes for all of them...especially pitbulls. No one wants them because they have gotten such a bad rap! Due to irresponsible owners who abuse them and chain them up! Only us specific animal lovers and rescuers will take them in because we know what we have, a loving dog just like any other if treated and raised right!
Some Pits are used for guard dogs (maybe chained or fenced, sometimes in the home) but many other types of Pit Bulls are chained like hunting, show, weight pull, pets, fighting dogs too (which shouldn't be anymore but they still exist) and I'm sure others. I wouldn't assume that chained Pits are guard dogs as throughout history Pit Bulls were most often chained but not human aggression (known to be very friendly back then) as HA is an incorrect trait and the majority of breeders in history bred fighting dogs and would generally (although not always) cull HA dogs. These dogs loved people as they should regardless that they were chained, the last thing the breeders wanted was a guard dog, a stranger or child could walk up to where they were chained and be jumped on/licked. This is also why we have the term yard (instead of kennels) because they were tied and not kenneled (great escape artist) now days even people who do use kennels, have a fenced yard or keep their Pits in the house still use the term yard. Perhaps in your area though mostly guard dogs are chained, I'm sure that is possible as things vary by location. If I've run into such Pit owners its been too few to recall at the moment. If people think they can chain their Pit Bull out and make it a mean guard dog they need to do more research on this breed and not own a Pit Bull, probably not own a dog at all. We don't need anymore man biters making headlines!

Thank you for taking the time to rescue Pit Bulls and give them an opportunity for a loving home. We need more people like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs