Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 10:56 AM

322 posts, read 285,526 times

Advertisements

Had the most upsetting thing happen today while walking my 10 pound poomix to her "spot" on our senior complex property.

Saw a dog running thru park near our complex property, and then the owner - with NO LEASH on med black dog. Red harness, Larger dog than mine. Not sure of breed.

I stopped walking MY pet, still on our complex property - HER SPOT - she is leashed, trained, etc and the dog runs toward me while I am standing still on sidewalk.
I pick my pet up and dog is jumping on the back of my legs, snapping at my pet's rear. Pet owner is walking toward the confrontation - yelling commands to wild dog. Pet is NOT in obeying mode.

I looked at owner and calmly informed of the leash law in park, the STATE, and there is a fine. He called me an effing old "B****" and to call the police. While he takes the leash off of his shoulder to attach to his out of control pet.

I was telling him repeatedly, I AM DOING NOTHING WRONG, I AM IN COMPLIANCE WITH RULES AND LAWS. Never raising my voice - then!! I said during the dog jumping on my legs to snap at my pet in my arms:

I have pepper spray.

He says: "use it. you'll be in the hospital."

I replied "I have done NOTHING wrong" This is OUR property. MY PET IS LEASHED. He walked away grumbling... I said "Entitled much?" hoping he didn't hear... he did. more profanity toward me.

I did call the police, made out a report, the guy did threaten me. I asked the officer what can I do to protect myself and any member of my family from this type of altercation? that I don't feel I was the agressor? He said "anything you need to do."

Carrying a bat and bear spray now. On my complex property because of this 45 -50 year old child, and wild untrained dog.
sheeesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 11:06 AM

5,778 posts, read 4,743,461 times
Encountering an untrained and unleashed dog is never fun, but you did threaten him first. Just sayin...

Old 04-16-2024, 11:35 AM

769 posts, read 864,766 times
I live in a resort area in Galena, Illinois. The weekend rental folks coming to the "country" and thinking they are entitled because they pay somebody approximately $285 per night to stay here. Must do the obligatory "walk" through the full-time owners yards, some on and some off leash. Pooping where they please (animals not owners yet) and lifting their legs on all sorts of plants and mailboxes. And YET, I am in the wrong when I tell them to get those animals on a leash, preferably not those stupid retractable ones. There is something so screwed up in this country when someone cannot walk their dog without an unleashed ass of a dog and their owner harassing them. She informed him she had Pepper Spray....she didn't threaten him. I cannot imagine having a dog jumping up on my legs....one is a prosthetic and could cause a fall due to lack of balance. Guess then and only then I would have had the right to spray the dog???? Nope, if people kept their damn dogs to themselves, then no one would have a complaint.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:45 PM

2,004 posts, read 999,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
I have pepper spray.

You should just have used it on the dog, and then him. Never throw out a threat if you don't intend to follow through.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:32 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,726,982 times
Glad you called the cops. If it happens again, don’t even acknowledge the guy—just call the cops and have him arrested.

Also, I don’t mean to be that person but were you really surprised that a dog acting that way has an owner acting that way? Poor dog. He deserves better.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:34 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,726,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I live in a resort area in Galena, Illinois. The weekend rental folks coming to the "country" and thinking they are entitled because they pay somebody approximately $285 per night to stay here. Must do the obligatory "walk" through the full-time owners yards, some on and some off leash. Pooping where they please (animals not owners yet) and lifting their legs on all sorts of plants and mailboxes. And YET, I am in the wrong when I tell them to get those animals on a leash, preferably not those stupid retractable ones. There is something so screwed up in this country when someone cannot walk their dog without an unleashed ass of a dog and their owner harassing them. She informed him she had Pepper Spray....she didn't threaten him. I cannot imagine having a dog jumping up on my legs....one is a prosthetic and could cause a fall due to lack of balance. Guess then and only then I would have had the right to spray the dog???? Nope, if people kept their damn dogs to themselves, then no one would have a complaint.
That’s what the leash laws are for. Unfortunately, they don’t mean anything if they’re not enforced (or the fine is so paltry that very few mind paying it).

Old 04-16-2024, 04:37 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
You should just have used it on the dog, and then him. Never throw out a threat if you don't intend to follow through.
Pepper spraying someone else can also land you in court for assault/battery if you can't prove self-defense. No witnesses? Good luck! Agree the snotty dog was fair game. When that stingy pepper spray gets smeared all over the dog's owner maybe it will make a dent, but I wouldn't hold my breath about that.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-16-2024 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-16-2024, 05:13 PM

10,793 posts, read 5,735,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
^^^This.

Leash in one hand, pepper spray in the other. When accosted by an unleashed aggressive dog, immediately spray the dog. Don't even say anything to the owner or otherwise engage with them. If accosted by an aggressive dog owner, spray them as well.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:32 PM

5,778 posts, read 4,743,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Glad you called the cops. If it happens again, don’t even acknowledge the guy—just call the cops and have him arrested.

Also, I don’t mean to be that person but were you really surprised that a dog acting that way has an owner acting that way? Poor dog. He deserves better.
Arrested for what exactly?

Old 04-17-2024, 06:13 AM

322 posts, read 285,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Encountering an untrained and unleashed dog is never fun, but you did threaten him first. Just sayin...
Reread please? I was standing STILL ON MY PROPERTY holding my pet in my arms when his pet APPROACHED ME - it is private property too then JUMPED ON ME THEN SNAPPED AT MY PET TRYING TO GET HER REAR END. To me, that was the threat of an unleased pet.

Threatened HIM how? His dog was never in any harms way due to my dog being unleased and approaching him or his pet, nor by being held immediately in my arms as his dog ran to me/us!

Rethink this please. I never said I am going to spray your dog - which I have every right to do to protect me from getting bit or my pet. He was more of a threat by breaking the law/rule of the state and this memorial park.

But it is interesting how people view responsibility. This man-child had NONE. Threatening me because I was being jumped on by his dog and I deserved this?

Hmmmm.... good luck with that logic. But I disagree. have a nice day

disclaimer: capital lettering is used for EMPHASIS not yelling. again. thank you and have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs