Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 08:36 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,006,572 times

Advertisements

I don't think you did anything wrong, but just as a tip for the future - sometimes when you LIFT a small dog, it will trigger the other dog's play/prey mode. Was the other dog going after yours before you did that? If so, I totally understand you wanting to protect them. But if it was more focused on you, that could explain why it snapped at your dog when you lifted them.

Just saying this because I had an incident with my own dog, Asa, when someone brought their tiny pup into the big dog side of our park. And when we asked him to move to the small side, he lifted his pup into his arms - then mine jumped up (because it triggered his play instinct), and dude KICKED Asa on the side. I asked why he did that, and he was like "Your dog jumped at mine!" Yeah, because it's the size of a stuffed animal and you were holding it over his head.

Asa is completely harmless, just a playful young husky. So that did infuriate me, and the other big dog owners there said I reacted appropriately - in fact one said "I wouldn't have been so nice if they'd kicked my dog for that." And this was an off-leash dog park, for the record. So he was entitled to be running freely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 09:54 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,711,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think you did anything wrong, but just as a tip for the future - sometimes when you LIFT a small dog, it will trigger the other dog's play/prey mode. Was the other dog going after yours before you did that? If so, I totally understand you wanting to protect them. But if it was more focused on you, that could explain why it snapped at your dog when you lifted them.

Just saying this because I had an incident with my own dog, Asa, when someone brought their tiny pup into the big dog side of our park. And when we asked him to move to the small side, he lifted his pup into his arms - then mine jumped up (because it triggered his play instinct), and dude KICKED Asa on the side. I asked why he did that, and he was like "Your dog jumped at mine!" Yeah, because it's the size of a stuffed animal and you were holding it over his head.

Asa is completely harmless, just a playful young husky. So that did infuriate me, and the other big dog owners there said I reacted appropriately - in fact one said "I wouldn't have been so nice if they'd kicked my dog for that." And this was an off-leash dog park, for the record. So he was entitled to be running freely.
Was your dogged kick because it was running free?

Old 04-18-2024, 11:52 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,589,537 times
I have 2 tiny dogs like yours and have them pad trained. I do take them for a daily walk but in the neighborhood and not a park so it’s easy to avoid other dogs. Little dogs are so vulnerable. The poster that mentioned picking up your dog as a clue for a big dog to jump up is correct. It seems to excite the big dogs.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:14 AM

6,600 posts, read 5,000,655 times
Quote:

While I can certainly understand your shock and frustration of your dog being kicked (in the head no less!), I can also see the side of the tiny dog owner. Not all dogs will jump if you lift something up and maybe him or his dog has been attacked before. The day I got bit I just thought they were happy dogs running up to say hi (partially because the owner made no move to grab them or call them back - how bad could it be?). But then I was bit while standing still. Now I carry a stick and I'm sure some day someone will be posting somewhere "my dog was JUST running to say hi and the lady whacked him with a stick!". But I'm going to do what I need to do to protect myself from unleashed dogs in public areas (this is an issue that has really escalated in the past 5 years locally)

(I do realize you were in a dog park where dynamics and rules are completely different)

Old 04-19-2024, 07:54 AM

323 posts, read 283,980 times
Quote:

The rule/law is for pets be on leash in this
State. I was on my property when dog jumped on me. I picked small, nervous rescue up to prevent dog clamping down, puncture lung...kill her playing or whatever.
We have had pro trainers. I did the correct thing in picking her up.
The rest is up to the owners to keep THEIR dog.pet under control at all times.
I wish it was enforced. Im going to lodge a complaintbon 2 park employees in carts zippin around property.
Said nothiing unleashed dog ran off park grounds to me on my complex property.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:07 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,845,590 times
You know dogs and kids get into scuffle's all the time. I get the charged emotions and protecting something or someone you care for, but dogs get loose, dogs have teeth, therefore all dogs can bite.

If you use pepper spray you're gonna elevate and exasperate the situation. It would be better to carry a small marine air horn. We provided them for the meter readers, to ward off aggressive dogs with great success, before the use of smart meter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 04-19-2024, 08:40 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,589,537 times
I didn’t realize you were on your own property. That certainly makes a difference. I still pick up my little dog if I feel threatened but I do it more slowly because I was told the fast movement excites big dogs. I would like to taser the owner).

Old 04-19-2024, 02:43 PM

323 posts, read 283,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I didn’t realize you were on your own property. That certainly makes a difference. I still pick up my little dog if I feel threatened but I do it more slowly because I was told the fast movement excites big dogs. I would like to taser the owner).
i was extremely controlled. I feel ive known dog behavior as far as my pets go, for a long time.

I never really showed any emotion at the time. I have raised dogs since 1990 and very well.
I made some comments to rude man, not too sarcastically. I never engaged after the you'll be in the hospital threat to me. It is quite frightening. Especially to an old effing b**** as he called me. Im a bit ptsd now.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:45 PM

1,144 posts, read 452,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
Had the most upsetting thing happen today while walking my 10 pound poomix to her "spot" on our senior complex property.

Saw a dog running thru park near our complex property, and then the owner - with NO LEASH on med black dog. Red harness, Larger dog than mine. Not sure of breed.

I stopped walking MY pet, still on our complex property - HER SPOT - she is leashed, trained, etc and the dog runs toward me while I am standing still on sidewalk.
I pick my pet up and dog is jumping on the back of my legs, snapping at my pet's rear. Pet owner is walking toward the confrontation - yelling commands to wild dog. Pet is NOT in obeying mode.

I looked at owner and calmly informed of the leash law in park, the STATE, and there is a fine. He called me an effing old "B****" and to call the police. While he takes the leash off of his shoulder to attach to his out of control pet.

I was telling him repeatedly, I AM DOING NOTHING WRONG, I AM IN COMPLIANCE WITH RULES AND LAWS. Never raising my voice - then!! I said during the dog jumping on my legs to snap at my pet in my arms:

I have pepper spray.

He says: "use it. you'll be in the hospital."

I replied "I have done NOTHING wrong" This is OUR property. MY PET IS LEASHED. He walked away grumbling... I said "Entitled much?" hoping he didn't hear... he did. more profanity toward me.

I did call the police, made out a report, the guy did threaten me. I asked the officer what can I do to protect myself and any member of my family from this type of altercation? that I don't feel I was the agressor? He said "anything you need to do."

Carrying a bat and bear spray now. On my complex property because of this 45 -50 year old child, and wild untrained dog.
sheeesh
You better leave that bat at home. It is a horrible defensive weapon, is a sign of escalation of force and something you will really regret when a guy takes it away from you and uses it in rage. Pepper spray you can defend in court, a bat is not seen favorably by most judges and jurors. If you feel the need to go armed, you would be better served to abandoned your own anger an avoid the area.

Trust me, a one second mistake in judgement can ruin your life for a long time. Even the best martial artist and street fighters avoid intentionally engaging in battles that have no real upside, and will advise the best self defense strategy is to avoid physical confrontations.

Old 04-26-2024, 05:20 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,741,465 times
I live in a semi-rural / rural area and my wife and I often go for 4 mile walks up North Hills and back down. We've encountered 2 ill mannered dogs (maybe 3). One in particular, a doberman, ran from his yard down the drive onto the road we were walking on, baring teeth and barking like he was going to attack. He got a faceful of bear spray and he circle scooted away and his owner saw it. I also open carry a .357mag so it could've turned out worse for the dog (and owner).

I don't give a whit about being bothered about 'escalation' - that's furthest thing from my mind. Had I not had pepper spray I would have shot the damn dog.

We've had plenty of curious dogs including a boxer that came to greet us and some will walk a ways with us. I'll point and tell them to 'go home' and usually they do. They don't bother us.

The OP is not in the wrong, and quite frankly exercised a lot of restraint IMO. I would not have been that kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs