Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 13,857 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm hoping I can get some feedback as I am very conflicted.
Two days ago I was walking my 2 dogs (on leash). German Shepherd/Pitbull mix. My dogs were in their "zone", completely focused, when we neared a home which had a miniature pinscher (who was leashed in his yard) that came charging and barking at my dogs. The little dog was able to reach my dog nearest to the boundary of the lawn. Naturally, my dog was startled and reacted. My two dogs chased the little dog back, but unfortunately one of my dogs bit. The little dog had a visit to the veterinary and required stitches. This was an unfortunate incident and I do feel bad that this pinscher sustained injury. My question is; Am I liable to pay the vet bill? ($340)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I would say yes. Your dogs came onto someone else's property and caused an injury. The fact that they were leashed doesn't mean much, because you were not able to restrain them from chasing the other dog.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
That's a good question. You need to read up on your state's dog laws. In the meantime, find copies of your dogs' rabies certificates as the vet most likely made a bite report. I have a feeling sooner or later animal control will be on your doorstep.

My guess is that you're probably liable for the vet bill. My reasoning would be this and I could be totally wrong. The little dog was confined to its yard. For it to get bitten, your dogs had to enter upon its premises ( the front yard). Although your dogs were leashed, you, in a legal sense, did not have enough control over them to keep them off the lawn.

Can I make a suggestion. You've got two two good sized, strong dogs. In the future, avoid other dogs on walks, especially those who are protecting their yards. That little Min-Pin did not suddenly pounce out at your dogs. Those little guys are noisy as all get out. It was yapping long before you got near its yard. Your dogs, however well trained you think they are, knew it was there, as did you.

It's going to be near impossible for you to hold back your dogs if they decide to both go after something.
That was a situation that should have been avoided by you crossing the street. What happened should not have. Think prevention when out with dogs.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM

315 posts, read 563,797 times
As a decent human being, yes you should pay the vet bill, ESPECIALLY if the bite occurred on the other owners property. If you want to avoid future trouble, I would just pay it. The vet bill could have been a lot worse.

Personally, I think your dog was probably just startled and protecting you but at the same time I think it would be a nice gesture to pay for the vet bills. The little guy was probably at the same time just defending his territory.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Yes. I agree with Hedgehog mom.

While I do think that the owner of the other dog could have done some things differently, ultimately your dogs did enter their property and managed to bite and injure that dog. I think it's best to just pay the vet bill and move on.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 13,857 times
Thank you all for your feedback! Thank you for not judging the dog breed and me.

The owner of the mini-pin and I spoke yesterday afternoon. He is a very kind and gentle man. I too, am a kind and just person. He explained that he didn't want to file a report because he feared that animal control would take my dog into custody. He and I both agreed that our dogs are our "babies" and they are family. We didn't want this confrontation between the dogs nor between us to get "ugly" or rude.
He shared the photos and left the bill with me to discuss with my husband. Naturally, I apologized profusely for his injured dog. Without a doubt and to always do the right thing, as we would like in return, we are going to pay for the bill. (I think I was concerned more of how we would pay, since I was recently laid off, however we do have a saving account)
Moving forward, I do recognize that I was unable to restrain both my dogs, even as well trained as I think they are. I'm 5'8" 129lbs....my two dogs are very powerful when they're protecting me. I agree that "defensive" or "preventive" walking should be practiced, which I am usually great at, especially redirecting. This incident got away from me. Lesson learned.

Thank you so much again for your feedback!! I appreciate it!!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
You're doing the right thing. I'm glad you and the min pin's owner are both being level headed about it and working together. I agree about avoiding other dogs on walks, and really with two large dogs, I walk them separately if I don't have another person to take a dog. Even the best trained dogs can surprise you at times. They are still dogs and you don't know when an unexpected situation could send one or both running. I was walking one of my dogs when there was a very loud bang that made her jump sideways. She hit the back of my knee so that it collapsed and I fell down. If two dogs had been jumping different ways, it could have been worse, and I might have been hurt. Just a little thing like that can make walking 100+ pounds of dog dangerous.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 AM

315 posts, read 563,797 times
No one should judge you or your breed. There are some things about dogs we will never understand but accidents happen.

I am glad you'll pay for the bill What I like to live by is I do for others what I'd want them to do for me. If my dog hurt another dog, no doubt I would offer! I am glad this ended peacefully and wasn't a huge issue. I've heard nightmare stories of things like this. Try to prevent these in the future.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,389 times
Yes I know you are LEGALLY required to pay the bill as well as you should pay the bill( I know I would even if it was legally so)

Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
Nyobi, not sure I get it.
You mention your dogs were leashed. How did they enter neighbor's property, chasing the little dog? (Leashed, meaning they are under full control)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs