Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 07:34 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

I know nylabones are popular, but why, do they smell like something? I bought a plastic chewbone from Pet Supplies Plus that said it smelled like peanut butter. My girl is 12 - she chewed on it for a day and then lost interest. The ONLY thing that entices her is food. I will be taking her on a trip in a couple months where she'll be in the car for hours, I want to find something she can chew on. Any advice? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 08:40 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Maybe some kind of animal bone? My GSD likes antlers and shin bones.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:39 PM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times
We don't know your dog's flavor preferences so it's difficult to offer suggestions.

Some dogs prefer beef, others chicken, liver, lamb, cheese, peanut butter, on and on. Others care more about texture. A nubby chew might work for one, a squishy rubber for another, a rope toy another. Some dogs just lick instead of chew.

One thing to consider. If she's older she could have tooth or other dental issues that a very hard chew or a bone might irritate.

I'd do some experimenting with small different flavored treats, then pick a chew that is flavored with one she seems to gravitate to. An appropriately sized hollow toy like a Kong filled with peanut butter or spread (they make different flavored fills for Kongs) then frozen might keep her busy in the car for quite a while until she falls asleep. When I knew I'd want to keep my dog busy for quite a while I'd reserve very high value treats/chews for those occasions. They don't get them often. If you want to get your dog acclimatized to long car trips maybe reserve a very special treat just for those occasions specifically. The car ride becomes something positive. That's an association you can cash in on later.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-01-2024 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 03:26 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
I like Kong or PetSafe toys where I put peanut butter in them, then freeze them. It takes them forever to get the goody out.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:04 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I like Kong or PetSafe toys where I put peanut butter in them, then freeze them. It takes them forever to get the goody out.
Yup. Never met a dog that did not like a frozen Kong treat.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
My older dog Chaos loves chewing on rolled beef cheeks. Unlike rawhide they are not bleached or treated with chemicals and one can provide days of chewing for her.

But as others have said Kongs or a Toppl stuffed then frozen will keep all 3 dogs busy for a long time. I have to be careful that Chaos does not get too many calories so if I need to keep her busy, I put her breakfast in one and freeze it the night before, so she gets the enjoyment of licking it out without added calories. I will feed breakfast to the puppy, Ruckus this way too and toss him and it in his crate if I want to take the two adult dogs out without him. He licks it out and being licking is calming to dogs by the time he is done he takes a nap and is often still asleep when we get home.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:04 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
OK thanks very much. Flavor preferences, LOL, she likes ALL of them! She eats anything and everything. There's no issues with her teeth, I have her checked regularly at the vet. I'll figure out some things to get for her based on this!

Old 04-02-2024, 12:01 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yup. Never met a dog that did not like a frozen Kong treat.
Haha, here’s one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	250112

He’s all about the bones.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:26 PM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My older dog Chaos loves chewing on rolled beef cheeks. Unlike rawhide they are not bleached or treated with chemicals and one can provide days of chewing for her.
I'd say all my dogs have loved bully sticks. Depending on how determined a chewer a dog is they can last a long time too. There are quite a few brands out there but like beef cheeks they are not bleached, dyed, or chemically treated, they are much more digestible than rawhide so risk of an impacted intestine is low. I just bought the highest quality plain old original type. Nothing braided or fancy. It is possible for a dog to choke on a large end piece if they swallow it whole, so watching the dog when they get toward the end of the chew and taking it away is smart. If the dog leaves pieces around too long take it away too. They are a "natural" product that can harbor bacterial growth over time. This holds for pretty much any "natural" chew. Some bully stick brands seem to have a stronger odor than others. There are low odor varieties.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-02-2024 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-03-2024, 08:42 AM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
I’ve never given our dogs bully sticks before. What are they? What are beef cheeks? I see some on Amazon but which brands are the best? I would like to order on Amazon if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs