Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,270 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my puppy was chewing on his nylabone hard toy when he managed to chew a chunk off. I heard the piece in his mouth and attempted to remove it from his mouth, but he swallowed it. Later that morning he started vomiting and I thought he got blocked.

After a vet visit, all is well - he wasn't blocked. My vet said maybe the plastic irritated his stomach and that caused the vomiting. I didn't look through his puke piles (he did about 4 of them); I just picked them up and tossed them away. But he's fine now. Poopig fine, not vomiting. My vet is used to me coming in because I panicked.

I am looking for a good SAFE solid chew toy for a puppy who is 23 lbs. at 6.5 months old. I have 2 Kongs but he doesn't like to chew on those - he loves to play with them, but never chews them.

The nylabone toys he had was like a hand grenade shape, but they were from our old dogs who never cared for them. My puppy loved gnawing HARD on them, but after yesterday I tossed them.

Any suggestions? He's got a lot of toys, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
I've never had a dog chew off a piece of a nyla bone. What kind of dog is he? Maybe he needs a bigger bone. But then you may not want to try another one. Other then nyla bones I can't think of any other hard bones other then real ones for him to chew on.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
My dog has several that he loves to chew. He's had them for a year now and they are still as good as news. Here are links to them. The bone is his favorite toy ever and he has it in pink. I think any of the Orbee stuff should be fine for chewing, since they are made out of tough, but nontoxic, material.

PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff® Orbee Ball - Earth ball - Globe Ball - 5 out of 5 Chompers

PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff® Bone - 3 out of 5 Chompers

PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff® Orbo with Treat Spot™ - 4 out of 5 Chompers

Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
I love the Hurley!

Hurley | West Paw Design

Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,100 times
The Kongs are good. I have the red bone for my Lab mix and he chews the heck out of it. It is getting pretty ratty but hasn't fallen apart at all.

Also, a real bone which he has been working down in size since he got. You have to watch those for splintering or big pieces that look like they might come off. For the most part though he just gnaws on it and it slowly shrinks, lol.

Oh and his Orka Jack has held up awesome. He carries it around almost as much as his red Kong bone. I did a thread on it a while back...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-dog-jack.html

Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
My dog has several that he loves to chew. He's had them for a year now and they are still as good as news. Here are links to them. The bone is his favorite toy ever and he has it in pink. I think any of the Orbee stuff should be fine for chewing, since they are made out of tough, but nontoxic, material.

PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff® Orbee Ball - Earth ball - Globe Ball - 5 out of 5 Chompers

PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff® Bone - 3 out of 5 Chompers

PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff® Orbo with Treat Spotâ„¢ - 4 out of 5 Chompers
Know of any stores in SD that sell those earth balls?

Doakes really needs more toys, but the only ones he doesn't destroy are the rubber ones, which are loud to throw on hardwood floors and they get really slimy!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Know of any stores in SD that sell those earth balls?

Doakes really needs more toys, but the only ones he doesn't destroy are the rubber ones, which are loud to throw on hardwood floors and they get really slimy!
I know City Dog in the East Village had them last time I went, but I'd call to make sure.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,100 times
I found a big ball that barely fits in Harper's mouth actually survives pretty well. It looks like a pin cushion now as he does puncture it with his teeth but he can't get any torque on it so doesn't do any real damage to it.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Oh, I also heard that antlers are good for them - in fact Shreve Stockton of Daily Coyote sells them (naturally shed antlers).

Old 11-19-2009, 09:15 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,270 times
Thanks! I'll check out the Orbee stuff (love the chomp ratings) and I know that my pet store carries the Hurley stuff - I was looking at them the other night while my puppy was stealing the treats they keep at puppy nose-level. Why???

He's an English Setter mix puppy mixed with something smaller but he's teething and will take a toy and chomp on one spot until it comes loose. He's chewed the corners of my chair's back cushion off. I hate the chair, but he does it while I'm sitting in it!

He has a couple Kongs and an Orka Jack. He plays with them but rarely chews on them. I tossed all the hard plastic toys that he's been chewing pieces off of, so maybe he will turn to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs