Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 11:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Milk Bones?

Of course I wouldn't give them without their human's permission but as a Cowgirl who carries everything, what's the best or what should I carry? Say.....Labradors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 11:15 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
My first thought is nothing. It's kinda like giving kids homemade treats on Halloween, you know?

Now, having said that, I am also the type of person who wants to say HI to every dog I see! I would consider liver training treats. They are very small and won't likely have an impact on most dog diets.

Old 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
There is no way I would ever allow my dog to accept a treat from a stranger. Not sure why you even want to do this. It puts people on the spot and just seems inappropriate..

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-20-2023 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2023, 12:24 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Some of my training instructors encouraged us to go to the Mall other busy places just have the dogs get use to noises & humans. They said ask people to give the dog a treat.... BUT Bring you dogs treats with you to have them give to the dog. 1 special diet aside its food the dog can handle. 2 you don't risk the person passing something like Cholate to the dog!

OP Don't approach any dog without asking first & Never feed anyone else's dog unless they ask you to & They provide the food!

Old 11-20-2023, 12:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
These were dogs of another diver at the site, so we weren't quite strangers.

BUT, let's add to the situation a little bit, say a wildfire/flood bug out and dogs have been left behind. So for the question asked, what's the best bet of the brand of food and treats?

Old 11-20-2023, 01:08 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Shoot the owner they can eat a long time.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:11 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
These were dogs of another diver at the site, so we weren't quite strangers.

BUT, let's add to the situation a little bit, say a wildfire/flood bug out and dogs have been left behind. So for the question asked, what's the best bet of the brand of food and treats?
In an emergency, I don't think it matters. Whatever will get the dog to come to you. Cheese, hot dogs. peanut butter crackers...something very smelly and tasty to engage what is probably a terrified dog.

But you might ask some animal rescue folks who often have to go into those areas and look for lost/abandoned animals.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:51 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
In an emergency, I don't think it matters. Whatever will get the dog to come to you. Cheese, hot dogs. peanut butter crackers...something very smelly and tasty to engage what is probably a terrified dog.
Agree. I do not offer food to strange dogs unless it really is an emergency, and it's imperative to get the dog to trust and/or come to me. I have no idea what if any food it might be allergic or sensitive to. I also don't know if a strange dog will bite if it suddenly feels threatened by me getting too close. I know nothing about the dog including its personal territory. If I happen to come across someone walking their own dog, I always ask permission before approaching, touching, or offering them anything edible. Just because you're around someone who has their dog along does not mean you must feed it anything at all. Many dog owners don't want a beloved pet to learn that accepting food from anyone other than family is OK. There are lowlifes who live to torture animals.

FWIW, I worked for a county animal control agency for a few years and often had to access private property where unknown dogs were present or coax suspicious or terrified dogs out of hazardous situations they found themselves in. Something with a rich high fat or meaty odor often worked better than typical dog treats that are baked or dried so they're less messy/more convenient to carry in a pocket. If I really really needed to gain the trust of an at risk dog, warm human fast food like a burger, cheese, fries, or lunch meat were harder to resist compared to something as relatively odorless and tasteless as a Milkbone. Carrying half-baked hotdog slices in a baggie worked quite well.

The other trick I learned was not to pursue or corner a loose dog unless I was prepared with a catchpole, gauntlets, crate, net, etc. Sit quietly, set the food out, maybe talk to it in a low calm disinterested voice, focus on something other than the dog, and allow curiosity, loneliness, and/or hunger to work. Let it to come to ME instead. Then flood them with treats to seal the deal.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-20-2023 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-20-2023, 03:19 PM

816 posts, read 445,536 times
We give our big boy low cal treats, small ones, because we want to keep his weight down.

But once a month he gets a "Bully Stick". I take it away when it gets small enough for him to choke, but damn does he love chewing on them.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:01 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I use Ziwi lamb dog food as a training treat. They are small dehydrated squares made from good stuff, far too expensive but we don't go through a lot since it's just a reward. The dogs in our neighborhood that we know and are allowed to have treats seem to really enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs