Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 08:11 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times

Advertisements

It is not appropriate to give anyones dog a treat or even a pet where I live unless you ask, especially ranch dogs. They are working dogs and not to be doted on.

And if someone just arbitrarily gave my bird dogs treats without asking, I would definitely rip them a new arse and I have done that on one occasion.

Last edited by Threerun; 11-20-2023 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 07:01 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Milk Bones?

Of course I wouldn't give them without their human's permission but as a Cowgirl who carries everything, what's the best or what should I carry? Say.....Labradors.
If you ask the dogs' handler, you might mention "what" you have for treats.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If you ask the dogs' handler, you might mention "what" you have for treats.
Good point and since you quoted my "Cowgirl who has everything (in her truck)", is there something, a brand, that one might carry in a Gamma container tucked in the corner?

We do outings for dive sites, just for the day or for camping, and part of my world is selling the industry, make it a party. People have brought their dogs and you would think they should bring the food for them, too, but say for whatever reason, they didn't, is there a good brand for generalized purposes? For treats, for kibble?

At our outings, "no one" should go hungry.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:51 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
What about Emergency Information on the dogs from the owners When they sign up? Not only ask about someone that can take the dog Ask about Vet Ask about food...request they bring Food & water from home for them.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What about Emergency Information on the dogs from the owners When they sign up? Not only ask about someone that can take the dog Ask about Vet Ask about for...request they bring Food & water from home for them.
Well, the industry isn't about that, people bringing their dogs along, people bringing their family to watch. Yes, we don't discourage it, yes we say yes when they ask, yes we are the good hostesses and hosts.

It is rather like the old ways of doing parties, invitee and guest and then providing so everyone has a good time.

As to other things, as I said, "for whatever reason" if they don't. I am just asking what I can have in stock to keep that base covered?

I could, I might, put my stock of "lost dog" canned food, Purina One, in the truck, I suppose, and it is up to the owner if they want to use that. Does Purina make a good general kibble? Puppy and dog treats? Is there another brand I should look at?

I mean, "What do you mean, you left his food at home? Let's ask Tamara, she carries everything!" .......because Tamara thinks in scenarios and then asks about it.....like here.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:15 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
So here's the thing - if it's just a day trip, dogs can eat raw carrots, raw green beans, baked sweet potatoes, apples (no seeds), baked chicken, rice, canned pumpkin. Which, IMO are better than a brand of kibble/treats.

But for an overnight trip? That's a bit more complicated. Dogs eating stuff they are not used to can cause them to have upset tummies. So even if you bought the best kibble available, the dogs may not do well with it. Brands and experience differ...yeah a bag of purina will get a dog through, as long as the dog has no allergies.

My dogs eat Rachael Ray because that's what the shelter was feeding them. I saw no reason to change and it's got reasonably good reviews on dog food advisor.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:11 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
First, I don't want people giving treats to my dogs. My dogs are not picky about what they eat, but I am very picky about what they eat, and I don't want them eating any food from China or any commercial dog treats.

I do not allow my dogs to beg and don't want them to see strangers as a food source.

For your customer's dogs, have plenty of fresh water and some clean dog bowls. I suggest that you let their owners worry about what the dogs will eat. Many dogs are only fed once a day, so unless your outing is an overnight, the dogs won't eat while they are there.

But in answer to your question, for treats my dogs get little pieces of graham cracker, not much more than thumbnail size pieces, or they get homemade jerky, dried meat with no salt and no seasonings.

If a dog makes overtures to me, and the owner says it is OK, I don't feed the dog, I give them a light scratch below the ear on the side of the neck. That spot is always itchy and dogs almost always like getting a scratch or rub there. Most dogs like attention just as much as they like treats, so make friends by giving them attention instead of food.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:52 AM

I talked to my Vet about the dry food. They gave me 3 recommendations and I am going to go with the Purina to keep a supply of. Don't know about the treats yet but it will probably be Purina as well. Of course, only with the owner's permission.

Water is a good note and I am well invested in water coolers and jerry cans.......but carrying more is always a good notion.

Thank you.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:52 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,354,610 times
If you want a dog to come to you, the smelly softer treats are good ones. Ones like Beggin Strips. They have artificial stuff in them but dogs love them.

We give our dog Wellness brand treats and Blue Buffalo treats (the small "training treats," even tho she's not small), but if someone asks if she can have a treat (like in the Walgreens drive thru) we let her have what they give away. If it's big we just give her half, same as if they give her more than one. She is old and spent quite a while in a shelter and we like her to enjoy the things she didn't have for years. But people do always ask before giving her anything.

Last edited by Jellybean50; 11-21-2023 at 04:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2023, 04:30 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
If you want a dog to come to you, the smelly softer treats are good ones. Ones like Beggin Strips. They have artificial stuff in them but dogs love them.
All of mine sure did. Of course, being a good dog mom I normally stocked healthier options. Once in a while if they were being extra picky or hard to keep focused one wasn't going to hurt. I usually carried a small weather resistant drawstring bag of several different treats all mixed together. Neither dog nor I knew what might come up in the next grab. Variety is the spice of life...keep 'em guessing (I might get the good stuff this time, might not !)! Always good to remind myself dogs don't read ingredient lists.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-21-2023 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs