Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 04:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,787,012 times

Advertisements

Forget it.

OP, just let people worry about their own dogs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-21-2023 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 04:43 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I make my own treats with a mixture of cooked pink salmon, olive oil, an egg, a little rolled oats and use a cookie cutter in the shape of Texas.
I draw the line at fish. Don't want that stink anywhere. Eternally grateful none of my dogs doted on it. They never sampled or rolled in dead beach fish either. Yummie Chummies? No thank you and thank goodness !

Old 11-21-2023, 05:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,787,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I draw the line at fish. Don't want that stink anywhere. Eternally grateful none of my dogs doted on it. They never sampled or rolled in dead beach fish either. Yummie Chummies? No thank you and thank goodness !
I don't get my fish from the beach or from the banks of the river. I use ocean-caught fish that's cooked prior to use. Our fish are cleaned and put on ice immediately after being caught. No "stink" involved.

Edit: as far as "Yummie Chummies," I'm pretty sure they aren't scouring the beaches and riverbanks for spawned out fly-infested dead fish either. It's illegal to make commercial product out of that even if someone were stupid enough to want to.

For those who don't know, commercially manufactured pet treats/foods made with Alaska salmon are sourced from ocean-caught fish only. When properly handled and cared for, this fish does not "stink."

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-21-2023 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-21-2023, 05:33 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't get my fish from the beach or from the banks of the river. I use ocean-caught fish that's cooked prior to use. Our fish are cleaned and put on ice immediately after being caught. No "stink" involved.

Edit: as far as "Yummie Chummies," I'm pretty sure they aren't scouring the beaches and riverbanks for spawned out fly-infested dead fish either.

For those who don't know, commercially manufactured pet treats/foods made with Alaska salmon are sourced from ocean-caught fish only.
I wasn't suggesting dog treats or anything else are made using beach dead fish. All I did was be thankful none of my dogs attempted to touch one that was! I detest the scent of fish...whether it's fresh, cooked, canned, smoked, or dried regardless where it came from.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:20 AM

7,381 posts, read 4,162,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Milk Bones?

Of course I wouldn't give them without their human's permission but as a Cowgirl who carries everything, what's the best or what should I carry? Say.....Labradors.
Nothing. My dogs never agreed on snack choices. Everyone had their own favorites.

Old 11-22-2023, 11:32 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
If you want a dog to come to you, the smelly softer treats are good ones. Ones like Beggin Strips. They have artificial stuff in them but dogs love them........
If anyone tied to give a Beggin Strip to my dog, I might possibly shoot them on the spot. At the very best they would have their treat knocked out of their hand and get a harsh scolding.

If you are going to carry around beggin strips for strange dogs, get permission first and disclose what it is that you will be giving as a treat. Expect frequent rebuffs.

In the same vein, don't carry around sugar cubes, handing them out to children you don't know. That's not going to be well received, either.

Old 11-22-2023, 11:45 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
When I was a small business owner (a gift shop) I maintained a stash of Blue Buffalo Pumpkin Treats that the dogs loved and owners seemed pleased with versus some of the unhealthier versions like Milk Bone or varying store brands.

Old 11-23-2023, 05:59 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,961,639 times
Pure Bites. Nothing in those but freeze dried meat.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:02 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,359,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If anyone tied to give a Beggin Strip to my dog, I might possibly shoot them on the spot. At the very best they would have their treat knocked out of their hand and get a harsh scolding.

If you are going to carry around beggin strips for strange dogs, get permission first and disclose what it is that you will be giving as a treat. Expect frequent rebuffs.

In the same vein, don't carry around sugar cubes, handing them out to children you don't know. That's not going to be well received, either.
She had said she would never give anything without the owner's permission.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:57 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,922,170 times
If you must lure a dog for some reason and the owner isn't available (like for an emergency evacuation, etc):

One treat that we've found that dogs can't resist is dried beef lung chunks. I don't know exactly why they love them so much but they are a healthy, single ingredient dog treat. You can buy them online.

Most dogs also love hot dogs, but since those aren't shelf stable something like canned Vienna sausages might be more appropriate.

Many dogs will respond favorably to squeaker toys. You can use the squeaker from a toy your own dog has torn out of a toy, they are tiny and fit easily in a pocket. There are also free dog training phone apps that make a variety of squeaker toy sounds, so you don't even need an actual squeaker if you have your phone with you.

Some dogs will jump into almost any vehicle if you open the door and say whatever their trigger word is: "go for a ride", "load up", "get in", "lets go", etc. One time there was a dog in traffic and I didn't want it to get hit so I pulled over and opened my door to get out and before I could even get my feet out of the car it jumped in, getting his muddy paws all over my clothes etc. I didn't even say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs