Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 03:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Exactly. Not only that but they're filing false complaints. That's why I said the OP needs to get on the front foot here and defend themselves and their dog.
Uh, no. Acting like a child and "blasting them on SM!!!" is not only an inappropriate response, it won't solve anything and will probably just make things worse. The OP needs to handle this like an adult.

If the third complaint is indeed false, it will be easy enough to prove. The OP should be proactive about that and present AC with whatever proof they've got that they weren't even home when the latest incident occurred.

Neither Animal Control nor the local PD is going to be able to do much about a neighbor's texts unless they involve threats of some kind. I can't imagine why an attorney would take something like this on in as a civil matter because there are no financial damages involved. Unless some sort of threat has been issued by the neighbors, there's nothing actionable here, and I don't know what those who are suggesting getting an attorney are thinking is going to happen. There might be something actionable in the false claim provided it could be proven to have been made maliciously, but that's going to be a hard prove.

Like OWS, I'm not convinced that the OP is entirely in the right here, and the inconsistencies in her narrative point to there being another side to the story.

Fence-aggressive dogs are unpleasant to have in any neighborhood, and their owners are sometimes jerks, but it doesn't sound as if the other party has violated anything with the possible exception of whatever barking ordinance the jurisdiction has in place.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-26-2023 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-26-2023, 03:44 PM

2,654 posts, read 1,180,067 times
If this were me in your place, I would walk my dog the other way that leads to another block. They live on the corner so you have no option to get to another street without passing their house. Why can't AC suggest they keep the dog in the back yard and not allow access to the fence on the side of the house? If they did that then the dog won't see your dog or anyone passing their house.

Because of their location you can only go the opposite direction and walk in a circle? that is nuts for them to expect you or anyone to keep doing that.

Can't you get a petition with other neighbors to see if they would be willing to complain with you that they should have the right to walk around the block outside the cul-de-sac when they want to. Also maybe they are sick of hearing their dog barking everyday. I would look into that.

As far as taking your dog away. To avoid any future disasters I would make sure my dog is never out of my control because as soon as I lose control I am in the wrong. Your dog will eventually get to their dog if it continues. You don't know if one of them will dig their way out of that fence.

Also maybe you can request in the petition the neighbor put up a fence where the dogs cannot see each other assuming they haven't already done that. It will help and make sure the fence is higher than normal.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:46 PM

4,224 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Uh, no. Acting like a child and "blasting them on SM!!!" is not only an inappropriate response, it won't solve anything and will probably just make things worse. The OP needs to handle this like an adult.
No. I don't know who said blast them on SM, it certainly wasn't me. What they need to do is show whoever is doling out these tickets that there is a pattern of behaviour from these people. That they tell all the neighbours not to use the public walkway because it upsets their dog. That the third citation the OP received wasn't even for their dog. They need to speak to the other neighbours. Someone suggested getting a petition from the other neighbours. That's what I mean about getting on the front foot. It has absolutely nothing to do with social media.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
No. I don't know who said blast them on SM, it certainly wasn't me. What they need to do is show whoever is doling out these tickets that there is a pattern of behaviour from these people. That they tell all the neighbours not to use the public walkway because it upsets their dog. That the third citation the OP received wasn't even for their dog. They need to speak to the other neighbours. Someone suggested getting a petition from the other neighbours. That's what I mean about getting on the front foot. It has absolutely nothing to do with social media.
Yep get a petition, exactly to show they are not the only neighbors being told not to walk on the public sidewalk. That would tick me off if I were told not to walk on a sidewalk where it's the only one other than across the street to get to another block. That dog is not trained properly to keep quiet and not disturb the peace and quiet of a the block. People move into a cul-de-sac for that reason. So both dogs are to be properly trained.

Keep the walking dog on a leash he can't get out of and keep the bully neighbor's dog away from the view of the front sidewalk both sides of the street.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know who said blast them on SM, it certainly wasn't me. What they need to do is show whoever is doling out these tickets that there is a pattern of behaviour from these people. That they tell all the neighbours not to use the public walkway because it upsets their dog. That the third citation the OP received wasn't even for their dog. That's what I mean about getting on the front foot.
OK. But you quoted the person who said to "blast them on SM!!!" saying that you agreed, which is what I responded to.

The tickets also establish a pattern of behavior on the part of the OP to fail to control her dog, so I wouldn't be so quick to think they could be used against the neighbor who filed the complaint. You might have a point if the complaints hadn't resulted in citations, but they did.

The neighbor telling people not to walk on the public walkway isn't actionable unless accompanied by threats of some sort. It's silly; the OP should just block the number, which I'm pretty sure is what LE would tell her if she called them.

Where she needs to "get on the front foot" is with the latest citation. Should be easy enough to prove that it wasn't her dog if the dog was with her when she was out of town.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:59 PM

4,224 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
OK. But you quoted the person who said to "blast them on SM!!!" saying that you agreed, which is what I responded to.
OK, my apologies, I didn't see that.

Quote:
The tickets also establish a pattern of behavior on the part of the OP to fail to control her dog, so I wouldn't be so quick to think they could be used against the neighbor who filed the complaint. You might have a point if the complaints hadn't resulted in citations, but they did.
But the citations seem to be handed out based on alleged behaviour with little corroborating evidence. How can they write a citation because one person alleges something? To get a dog warning issued here the local council sends out some animal inspectors, they speak to everyone, they speak to neighbours, then they hand out a warning or make a declaration. A declaration that is contestable in local court. The system the OP describes seem to be issue ticket and ask questions when and if someone contests it.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Yep get a petition, exactly to show they are not the only neighbors being told not to walk on the public sidewalk. That would tick me off if I were told not to walk on a sidewalk where it's the only one other than across the street to get to another block. That dog is not trained properly to keep quiet and not disturb the peace and quiet of a the block. People move into a cul-de-sac for that reason. So both dogs are to be properly trained.

Keep the walking dog on a leash he can't get out of and keep the bully neighbor's dog away from the view of the front sidewalk both sides of the street.
And give the petition to whom, exactly?

My word, we've become such a nation of Karens, expecting "the authorities" to deal with our petty disputes. I would just block any neighbor sending such silly texts and walk wherever I damn well pleased.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
And give the petition to whom, exactly?

My word, we've become such a nation of Karens. I would just block any neighbor sending such silly texts and walk wherever I damn well pleased.
The Police and to the AC they went to when they made the complaint about the OP's dog. The OP said anyone who walks past that house the dog goes barking berzerk and they were told the same thing.

Just because the media brainwashes people to think everyone who wants bullying behavior to stop is a Karen that doesn't make them right and it certainly doesn't apply to myself for suggesting to get a petition. Obviously the other neighbors are bothered by in constant barking too. Oh I guess that makes them karen too.

Fact is they have no business letting the dog bark to the point that it bothers others in the neighborhood. The OP needs to show it's not just her who is being annoyed by the dog barking she is not the only person told don't walk by their house.

If getting a petition means Karen to you then tough, I would do it anyway. No one tells me I cannot walk on a public sidewalk or anyone on my block they don't own the sidewalk.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:20 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
This website talks about what constitutes a "dangerous dog", and lists the criteria of different states.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/sta...erous-dog-laws

I would be very concerned about this dog, as I have dogs get out that had previously barked aggressively at me and my dog(s), and it was not fun! Luckily, the two worst times, the owners were in the yard and came for their animal. I still called animal control. Usually, it isn't the first report that they have gotten.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
The Police and to the AC they went to when they made the complaint about the OP's dog. The OP said anyone who walks past that house the dog goes barking berzerk and they were told the same thing.

Just because the media brainwashes people to think everyone who wants bullying behavior to stop is a Karen that doesn't make them right and it certainly doesn't apply to myself for suggesting to get a petition. Obviously the other neighbors are bothered by in constant barking too. Oh I guess that makes them karen too.

Fact is they have no business letting the dog bark to the point that it bothers others in the neighborhood. The OP needs to show it's not just her who is being annoyed by the dog barking she is not the only person told don't walk by their house.

If getting a petition means Karen to you then tough, I would do it anyway. No one tells me I cannot walk on a public sidewalk or anyone on my block they don't own the sidewalk.
I was just wondering who you think any such petition can be given to and what good you think it would do (none; except for on the very off-chance there's an HOA here). LE isn't going to do anything about texts from a neighbor unless they contain a tangible threat.

Like I already said, I would walk wherever I damn well please and block the neighbor's texts. That's hardly the same thing as "being told I cannot walk on a public sidewalk!"

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-26-2023 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.