Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 08:35 PM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is really good. Very important to be absolutely clear about what has happened. I do believe that many if not most dogs do not respond to commands in a situation like this. How is a dog going to obey a command when it is under attack? One of my dogs has reacted when another dog attacked her. This has been rare occurrence.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read anywhere that the other dog attacked OPs dog.
Yes - he was barking and jumping BEHIND THE FENCE, but never actually attacked or caused any harm.

Still waiting for OP to come back and tell us what kind of a dog she owns...

Old 03-24-2023, 08:47 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'd tell those people to pound sand in many, many different ways. Who do they think they are telling EVERYONE not to walk by their property because their dog is an ahole and they can't control it?? If it happens again with any type of "threats" from them, they'd be hearing from an attorney and I'd blast them on every SM I could with pictures, etc.

You need to file a report with police and AC immediately!!!
Exactly. Not only that but they're filing false complaints. That's why I said the OP needs to get on the front foot here and defend themselves and their dog.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:54 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,965,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read anywhere that the other dog attacked OPs dog.
Yes - he was barking and jumping BEHIND THE FENCE, but never actually attacked or caused any harm.

Right, I was speaking generally. Yes, interesting that hasn't come up yet. Kudos for mentioning it.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:16 PM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times
So, OP - what's your plan?

Old 03-26-2023, 02:55 PM

48 posts, read 38,356 times
Quote:
I see few inconsistencies here:

1. You stated that:
"don't walk on the same side of the street as their house - I always walk on the opposite side"

Then you said:
"Normally my dog is not bothered walking by their fence."

So, which is it?

2. ."..I don't know if they were to connect if my dog would fight"

That's a bit unsettling. So, you don't know if your dog could be aggressive with another dog ...

3. "...legally I lost control and my dog was on their property so I am at fault with those 3 times.

How did your dog enter THEIR property??

That's a clear case of you not being able to control your dog. If you want to win this argument, you need to learn how to be in charge, and also teach your dog how to obey your commands.
If you decide that you both need to take classes, then this documentation should be very helpful. It shows that you want to improve.

4. "Yes, everything I said is true and I have now received 3 citations for the 2 times (in almost 3 years) that my dog pulled the leash from my hand and reached the neighbor's fence."

It seems to be 3 times, and you admitted your fault.

5. "I had my dog back in my possession in less than one minute each time"

Then:

"It was very flustering as it was hard for me to catch my dog for 2 minutes as he runs back and forth on their fence.

It seems that when he is loose, he is also hard to catch. You didn't timed it, so maybe it was longer than that.
The dog is also "able to pull me when he wants to".

"My dog is an inside dog and has never run loose in the neighborhood" - obviously he was.

Again, you're not in control of your animal.

I am not picking on you. I just want you to have your story straight when/if the authorities start to investigate.

Also, while I do believe your struggle, we only know your side of the story.
To clarify your questions:
1. They live on a corner lot so to walk around the corner means you walk parallel to the backyard and then turn the corner and you are walking parallel to the front of their house. Their fence that surrounds their backyard is parallel to the street and is probably 75-100ft in length and maybe 5-6 feet from the curb. There is the curb, grass and their fence. I have to walk the 75-100 ft of fence to get around the corner but I normally walk on the other side of the street and not on the curb that is 5-6 feet from their fence. My dog normally is not bothered by the shepherd when we walk by.

2. My dog is accustomed to playing in a dog park as we use to go every day. If another dog was ever being aggressive to either my dog or other dogs, my dog would tuck his tail between his legs and run to me or my husband. He has never been attacked by a dog so I don't know what he would do. My dog is a sweet dog. The two times he has pulled the leash from my hand and run to the fence with the shepherd, I can't tell if he thinks they are playing or if he is responding to the aggressiveness of the shepherd. My dog has never been aggressive to any person or dog. There is also another neighbor, and my dog likes to run the fence with that dog. Each is on one side of the fence and they run back and forth together barking. But that dog is not aggressive. That is why I don't know.

3. In almost a period of three years (how long we have lived here) and an estimated 2000 times (literally) around the block - my dog has pulled the leash out of my hand 3 times. He runs to the fence which is 5-6 feet from the street so technically, he is standing on their property. I agree that I am at fault and plan to hire a trainer to help teach my dog to walk on the leash around this block but it feels extreme that AC can take my dog for that. Especially since he is not in any way an aggressive dog.

4. One of the citations is not correct. It describes a different dog - says the dog was running all through the neighborhood and is for a day/time when we were out of town.

5. I guess technically if the dog pulls the leash from your hand, then that is considered running loose. But my dog has pulled the leash from my hand and I am able to get the leash back in my hand within minutes because he is still within 10 feet of me. He isn't taking off up the street - each time - he ran to the fence and ran up or down the fence with the shepherd on the other side.

I hope that clarifies things. I understand that technically I am at fault and should never lose control of my dog but it feels very extreme considering the details of what actually happened. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I see few inconsistencies here:

1. You stated that:
"don't walk on the same side of the street as their house - I always walk on the opposite side"

Then you said:
"Normally my dog is not bothered walking by their fence."

So, which is it?

2. ."..I don't know if they were to connect if my dog would fight"

That's a bit unsettling. So, you don't know if your dog could be aggressive with another dog ...

3. "...legally I lost control and my dog was on their property so I am at fault with those 3 times.

How did your dog enter THEIR property??

That's a clear case of you not being able to control your dog. If you want to win this argument, you need to learn how to be in charge, and also teach your dog how to obey your commands.
If you decide that you both need to take classes, then this documentation should be very helpful. It shows that you want to improve.

4. "Yes, everything I said is true and I have now received 3 citations for the 2 times (in almost 3 years) that my dog pulled the leash from my hand and reached the neighbor's fence."

It seems to be 3 times, and you admitted your fault.

5. "I had my dog back in my possession in less than one minute each time"

Then:

"It was very flustering as it was hard for me to catch my dog for 2 minutes as he runs back and forth on their fence.

It seems that when he is loose, he is also hard to catch. You didn't timed it, so maybe it was longer than that.
The dog is also "able to pull me when he wants to".

"My dog is an inside dog and has never run loose in the neighborhood" - obviously he was.

Again, you're not in control of your animal.

I am not picking on you. I just want you to have your story straight when/if the authorities start to investigate.

Also, while I do believe your struggle, we only know your side of the story.
Quote:

My dog is a mix. Some think he looks like an Akita.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:07 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,725,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentingnoteasy View Post
To clarify your questions:
1. They live on a corner lot so to walk around the corner means you walk parallel to the backyard and then turn the corner and you are walking parallel to the front of their house. Their fence that surrounds their backyard is parallel to the street and is probably 75-100ft in length and maybe 5-6 feet from the curb. There is the curb, grass and their fence. I have to walk the 75-100 ft of fence to get around the corner but I normally walk on the other side of the street and not on the curb that is 5-6 feet from their fence. My dog normally is not bothered by the shepherd when we walk by.

2. My dog is accustomed to playing in a dog park as we use to go every day. If another dog was ever being aggressive to either my dog or other dogs, my dog would tuck his tail between his legs and run to me or my husband. He has never been attacked by a dog so I don't know what he would do. My dog is a sweet dog. The two times he has pulled the leash from my hand and run to the fence with the shepherd, I can't tell if he thinks they are playing or if he is responding to the aggressiveness of the shepherd. My dog has never been aggressive to any person or dog. There is also another neighbor, and my dog likes to run the fence with that dog. Each is on one side of the fence and they run back and forth together barking. But that dog is not aggressive. That is why I don't know.

3. In almost a period of three years (how long we have lived here) and an estimated 2000 times (literally) around the block - my dog has pulled the leash out of my hand 3 times. He runs to the fence which is 5-6 feet from the street so technically, he is standing on their property. I agree that I am at fault and plan to hire a trainer to help teach my dog to walk on the leash around this block but it feels extreme that AC can take my dog for that. Especially since he is not in any way an aggressive dog.

4. One of the citations is not correct. It describes a different dog - says the dog was running all through the neighborhood and is for a day/time when we were out of town.

5. I guess technically if the dog pulls the leash from your hand, then that is considered running loose. But my dog has pulled the leash from my hand and I am able to get the leash back in my hand within minutes because he is still within 10 feet of me. He isn't taking off up the street - each time - he ran to the fence and ran up or down the fence with the shepherd on the other side.

I hope that clarifies things. I understand that technically I am at fault and should never lose control of my dog but it feels very extreme considering the details of what actually happened. Thanks for your input.

If you can, get a lawyer. Issues with dogs have become so common that there are often lawyers who specialize in and only handle cases involving dogs and their owners. They are a blessing to plaintiffs and defendants but, especially, defendants. And they usually resolve things quickly and effectively.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been thinking about this thread while driving around for work today. I thought about what I would do were it me in this situation.

If I was truly worried about AC taking my dog because I lost control of my own dog, 3 times, then before I would address anything else, I would do the following:

1) Call around for trainers. Do not do the pet store nonsense. Get a real trainer. Find one, give them the money, and get started. Have at least 3 of the sessions under your belt before doing anything else with AC.

2) As stated before, gather up all of the evidence that you can get that this last citation was not your dog. Prove that you nor your dog were there on that day. Prove that you were both somewhere else...if you have that proof.

3) Go to AC, provide them with a) proof that your dog, nor you, were around that day of the alleged incidence, and b) that you realized your errors when you did lose control of your dog, and here is the proof that we are currently in training, here is the phone number for the trainer, here is the proof of payment, and here is the schedule, as you can see, we have completed 3 sessions with X number to go. (This shows that you understand your own fault for the legit citations, and that you are doing what you need to do to correct those issues to prevent any future issues with you losing control of your dog.)

Recall is absolutely necessary during this training. Even IF you do drop the leash, your dog should not be running off. Your dog should stop when you drop the leash, if that happens, (which it shouldn't). Your dog should not decide on his own what he's going to do during the walks you take. YOU are the leader, not the dog.

3) While you are training, gather up all evidence that you can - text messages, emails, letters left on doors, etc. from when the other dog owner told you not to walk on the sidewalk near their house. Provide any other evidence of the neighbor harassing you about you and your dog.

Talk to the neighbors and ask them to also provide evidence. You may find that the other neighbors don't want to get involved...because soooooo many people want to complain all the time, but don't actually want to do anything to resolve the issue(s). So, if no one steps up, let it go. You cannot speak for anyone else but yourself, so don't even bother with 'They have also said it to my neighbors....' because the neighbors have to speak for themselves.

Once you have gone through training, once you have successfully secured 'recall', and you have successfully secured a good leash and collar so that your dog does not, and will not, fly off away from you, then, and only then, should you gather up everything: proof of full training, proof of quality leash and collar, and any and all evidence of your neighbor dictating to the neighborhood how they are to use their own dang neighborhood, and go to AC. It may be that AC won't handle that. You can inquire as to who you talk to about that.

The neighbors do not have the right to act like tyrants and tell everyone when and where they will walk in the neighborhood, and harass people about it who live in the neighborhood. They need to cease and desist. And when they get that notice telling them that they do not have the right to do what they are doing, you will have already proven that you and your dog are NOT part of the problem, as you have been in the past with dropping the leash and your dog taking off.

And, most importantly, while you are doing all of this, don't walk that way anymore. You do have the right to walk that way, but to make things easier for yourself while you are doing what you have to do to rectify your own part in all of this, and to prevent them from complaining about you and your dog, yet again, stay away from their fence, their yard, that sidewalk until you have done everything above.

I also asked myself, 'Would it be worth it to go through all of that?'

Training my dog? Yes.

Showing AC that I have already started to fix the past issues, proof of the last one that it wasn't your dog, and that the dog is now trained and is 100% under my control? Yes.

Fighting your neighbor over their demands that no one walk near their fence? I'm still going to say 'yes'.

Why? Because that's just who I am. You don't dictate to me where I walk in public. AND, even more importantly to me, is the fact that so many DON'T do anything, and that is why we have a rude and selfish society like we have, today.

It's up to you how far you take this; however, for the sake of your dog, your obligation is for you and your dog to get trained, and prove the last citation was not, and could not have been, your dog.
Thank you for your input. I think this is all good information.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:11 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,965,383 times
I would recommend a "dog bite" lawyer. It's a field that has opened up quite a bit in recent years. It's a specialty. Even though there's been no bite nor any injury, such an attorney will be up on current laws and remedies.

OP, head this possible problem off at the pass. You will be glad you did. Especially because your situation is precarious at the moment.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
So, OP - what's your plan?
As of now, I have extremely limited the time I go that route. When I do, I am not using the retractable leash and am very focused on making sure I have complete control. I have received a few leads on trainers and will hire someone. I have a call into AC to talk about the citation that is not correct.

I did talk to AC last week and they did say that they have the right to take a dog from an owner if there are multiple citations but usually only do so if there was an aggression event toward a person or another animal such as a bite or if your dog has destroyed property. Thankfully, that is not our situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs