Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 10:52 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times

Advertisements

One thing I would suggest is maybe get a harness for your dog. Seems like dogs don't pull as much, when they have a harness on.

Another suggestion...can you just put the dog in your car, and go to a near by park, or even maybe the next block or street over, to walk your dog? If not 4x a day, maybe once or twice?

And thirdly...have you considered getting a fence, so you don't HAVE to walk your dog?

Old 03-23-2023, 11:36 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
One thing I would suggest is maybe get a harness for your dog. Seems like dogs don't pull as much, when they have a harness on.

Another suggestion...can you just put the dog in your car, and go to a near by park, or even maybe the next block or street over, to walk your dog? If not 4x a day, maybe once or twice?

And thirdly...have you considered getting a fence, so you don't HAVE to walk your dog?
Harnesses are specifically used to pull (think sled dogs). The key is to train your dog to walk properly regardless of what type of collar/harness they are wearing. My dog can walk with a flat collar, harness, prong, ec, etc.....it is all in the training.

While a fence is nice (I have about 2 acres fenced in for my dog) I still walk the dog 4 times a day....helps to build the bond vs just letting your dog run loose all day inside a fence.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:39 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
To the original poster, as noted....pick your battles! Do you want to risk losing this one? Given that your dog has gotten away from you multiple times, I have to ask...has the dog not been trained to recall? This is REALLY important and most people don't do it or do it poorly.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Harnesses are specifically used to pull (think sled dogs). The key is to train your dog to walk properly regardless of what type of collar/harness they are wearing. My dog can walk with a flat collar, harness, prong, ec, etc.....it is all in the training.

While a fence is nice (I have about 2 acres fenced in for my dog) I still walk the dog 4 times a day....helps to build the bond vs just letting your dog run loose all day inside a fence.
They don't pull as much on leashes, when wearing a harness.

And it's great that you walk your dog 4 times a day...but are you dealing with a neighbor calling the dog police on you? And who said ANYTHING about letting the dog run loose all day inside a fence? We have a fenced in yard, and we let our dog out several times a day, but he's not outside ALL day.

Old 03-23-2023, 01:00 PM

6,852 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Maybe OP wants exercise as much as wanting her dog to have exercise. Public street or sidewalk, she has the right as anyone to walk on it past the homes of her neighbors. If someone told me not to walk past their house because it made their dog bark I would walk back and forth a lot. They are responsible for controlling their dog. I would encourage the neighbors to join in. OP should check her nextdoor to see if others are discussing these neighbors.

One thing, though.....If OP's dog is pulling away from her, it's not properly trained. Doesn't matter if the dog is friendly - it's out of control. Another thing....is OP strong enough to handle her dog when it pulls? Because if she isn't weak, then she should know that her dog is triggered by the Shepard and she should have an extra good grip on the leash - and a real leash, not an extendable one. She could also wear a belt as round her waist and hook the leash to that as well as keeping a grip on it. Double secure. If OP is elderly with a poor sense of balance that wouldn't be a good idea. She and her dog need to go to dog school together. That's as important as having a dog socialized and it's fun.

But yeah, I'd be taking multiple walks/runs past the house day and night without a dog once someone had the audacity to tell me to not walk past their house because it made their dog bark. I'd probably stop to stretch my hamstrings, too.

The fact that citations were issued makes me think there could be more to the story. But for someone to request neighbors don't walk past their house is ludicrous.

Old 03-23-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Maybe OP wants exercise as much as wanting her dog to have exercise. Public street or sidewalk, she has the right as anyone to walk on it past the homes of her neighbors. If someone told me not to walk past their house because it made their dog bark I would walk back and forth a lot. They are responsible for controlling their dog. I would encourage the neighbors to join in. OP should check her nextdoor to see if others are discussing these neighbors.

One thing, though.....If OP's dog is pulling away from her, it's not properly trained. Doesn't matter if the dog is friendly - it's out of control. Another thing....is OP strong enough to handle her dog when it pulls? Because if she isn't weak, then she should know that her dog is triggered by the Shepard and she should have an extra good grip on the leash - and a real leash, not an extendable one. She could also wear a belt as round her waist and hook the leash to that as well as keeping a grip on it. Double secure. If OP is elderly with a poor sense of balance that wouldn't be a good idea. She and her dog need to go to dog school together. That's as important as having a dog socialized and it's fun.

But yeah, I'd be taking multiple walks/runs past the house day and night without a dog once someone had the audacity to tell me to not walk past their house because it made their dog bark. I'd probably stop to stretch my hamstrings, too.

The fact that citations were issued makes me think there could be more to the story. But for someone to request neighbors don't walk past their house is ludicrous.
Sure she has the right. I'm just tossing ideas out there to hopefully defuse/alleviate the situation.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:10 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentingnoteasy View Post
Around the loop (they are on the corner) or up and back a different street. We walk our dog 4x a day - 2x each direction which means we have been around the block probably 2000 times in 3 years.
You do or up and back a different street. It's a no-brainer.

Take your dog in the car to another walking area.

Quote:
Their dog charges the fence and barks excessively at us or anyone that walks by at any time of the day or night. Other neighbors complain about the excessive barking and the aggression he shows but since the shepherd is contained in a fence, no law is being broken. I can hear their dog barking constantly from inside my home 6 houses down the street so it is annoying.

They have asked and texted us not to walk the block because it makes their dog bark. They have also asked other neighbors (that don't have dogs) not to walk the block. I told them that I have the right to walk the block which makes them upset. (BTW - when I walk, I don't walk on the same side of the street as their house - I always walk on the opposite side)
Keep a written record of their texts. Record their dog barking without your dog present. Build a file against them. It going to get worse. - because they are crazy and crazy people become more unhinged

Quote:
With that said, three different times in the last three years my dog has pulled his lease out of my hand and charged their fence wanting to run back and forth with their dog.

Their dog is angry when this has happened and both times the owners ran out of their house yelling. (It has happened three times so once it happened when they were not home) It was very flustering as it was hard for me to catch my dog for 2 minutes as he runs back and forth on their fence.
It's your problem. Fix it. Take your dog in the car to another walking area.

Quote:
They called animal control both times this happened and we were issued a citation. Today, I received a 3rd citation. The citation listed our dog by name but the description of the dog does not match our dog (lists a different color and breed).
Send a letter, hopefully from a lawyer. AC staff changes. If you tell one staff employee, but another employee sees the citations, you've lost. Everything must be in writing.

Quote:
The date on the citation was for last week when we were out of town for the entire week. The citation states that our dog was running loose in the neighborhood which our dog has never done. It simply is not true information and I will explain this to animal control. Hopefully, it will be dropped.
It's not going to be dropped. Your wishful thinking doesn't change the facts. Don't explain, send a written letter - hopefully, from a lawyer. This is harassment.

Quote:
The first time AC came, they told me they would take my dog if we had repeated offenses. I do understand that legally I lost control and my dog was on their property so I am at fault with those 3 times. However, I am afraid that they are now falsely calling AC to try to get AC to take our dog. Again - our dog is super friendly and their dog is not but they want to keep us from walking the block. We have many people that would be a character witness for my dog. I don't want to be intimated into not walking my dog in that direction as the neighborhood is so small but I am super scared of losing my dog.
Obviously, this is exactly what they are working on. They will continue to file false claims until you handle the matter. Send a written letter to AC with proof of your travel - plane reservations, hotel reservations. Tell AC that this is harassment.

Quote:
Can AC really take my dog if he is not dangerous in any manner because he got off the leash a couple of times? Am I being too stubborn? What do I do?
Yes. AC also can take dogs with excessive barking. It goes both ways.

For all you know, your other neighbors have contacted AC about their dog's excessive barking. So now they are fighting fire with fire.

Honestly, if their dog is that aggressive, your biggest worse worry is their dog will attack your dog. Keep your dog as far away as possible. Don't walk your dog anywhere near their dog. Don't put your dog's life in danger - by attack or by AC.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 03-23-2023 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-23-2023, 03:43 PM

6,852 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Save those texts. It's unreasonable to be asked not to walk past their house. But make sure your dog never gets away from you again. And don't let pet sitters walk your dog past their house.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:24 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
If that person(s) is really telling the whole neighborhood to stop walking past their house, then animal control and LE need to pay them a visit. It's their animal causing the problem, and they don't own the street.
This seems to be the only thing that matters. Seriously, a neighbour is telling the OP to not walk on a public footpath because it might upsets their dog. Now they're complaining to animal control because the OP dares use the public footpath and it upsets their dog. I can't fathom how people are missing the big picture here and instead chiding the OP about losing control of the leash.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
This seems to be the only thing that matters. Seriously, a neighbour is telling the OP to not walk on a public footpath because it might upsets their dog. Now they're complaining to animal control because the OP dares use the public footpath and it upsets their dog. I can't fathom how people are missing the big picture here and instead chiding the OP about losing control of the leash.
No...the neighbor called animal control because ops dog got loose from its leash and charged the neighbor's fence/dog twice, but Ok got reported 3x.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs