Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 01:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,066,140 times

Advertisements

Well, damn. At the risk of becoming C-D’s poster boy for pet drama, I have to update you on Bosch.

We noticed an issue with his left eye yesterday….a bit of discoloration if you will. I didn’t think much of it since we had his first vet appt this morning.

The vet looked at it and referred us to Auburn’s vet school. Stop me if you’ve heard this before. That’s the way it started with the discovery of Parker’s cancer in August. Our vet was concerned about an ulcer in his eye.

The ophthalmology dept called us and cleared his immediate visit. Once I got there, he was taken back and about 45 min later, the little intern came out. Long story short: think of it as a scratch that went undetected and developed into an ulcerative wound that’s down to the last layer before it bursts. That last layer is the Descement's membrane. That area needs a graft which requires surgery. Poor little pumpkin.

The surgery, about three hours, will likely begin around 3 pm central, less than an hour from now. The prognosis for his eye is good but please keep him in your thoughts. Unlike Parker, we expect a much better outcome.

I did talk to the breeder. The dr says this had to occur several days ago, before we picked him up. The breeder said he’d do whatever it takes to make this right. My wife and I talked and we both agreed that we’ve been blessed. I retired, she got a new WFH job and we really haven’t suffered financially due to Covid. Yes, Covid cost my job last year but, I was going to retire this year anyway.

He’s a youngish man, as honest as they come. One daughter in jr college, one in high school. Wife works. Probably mid-middle class. We don’t see asking him to pay the estimated $3000 bill. I know, you could make a case that it’s not fair to us, especially after Parker’s bills and you’d be right.

Instead, I’ll adopt a philosophical view of being thankful and grateful that it was our puppy: The injury was a chance event and maybe it was put on us since we can handle it better than most. Can you imagine saving for a puppy for your kid and then this? It would be tough from a financial perspective on many families. Or, they’d return the puppy to the breeder who would be hard-pressed to find someone capable of this surgery where they live. It happened to us for a reason. He’ll get great care locally and be back to us hopefully tomorrow.

He’s young so he should recover quickly. We just have to be careful that the graft holds….as much as one can manage a puppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 01:54 PM

5,590 posts, read 6,522,498 times
Awwwww, nuts. Both for you and your wife and Bosch. I just said a prayer for his successful surgery and restored eyesight. But, if he loses the eye, he is still young enough to adjust to one eyesight and not even know he is disabled.

My thoughts go out to you and your wife, but......to me you both have been very blessed. Not only with the love to give to Bosch and your last beloved guy, but also that you aren't/don't have to be too stressed with funding for their medical bills, AND that you care more for your pet than money. Your resistance to asking the breeder to pay for his medical bills is to be commended, since you can afford it and it would be a surmised/possible hardship on the breeder. But, to not be "suckered", I would get some compensation from the breeder, just to show them they do have some responsibility to the puppy that got injured while in their care. They are business people, after all.

Bosch is very lucky to be your guy now. I wish you all a happy, blessed life!

Old 10-08-2021, 02:18 PM

Thank you! We’re on the same page. The breeder & I spoke again a half an hour ago. He knows we’ll be looking for a puppy in the future (2023?!) and offered the next one at no charge. That technically doesn’t take funds out of his pocket now and he can plan for that amount not realized for one puppy when it does happen. That seems like a good, decent compromise.

Edit: 3:30…the doctor called and they’re going into surgery.

Last edited by k7baixo; 10-08-2021 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-08-2021, 04:49 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,098,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Thank you! We’re on the same page. The breeder & I spoke again a half an hour ago. He knows we’ll be looking for a puppy in the future (2023?!) and offered the next one at no charge. That technically doesn’t take funds out of his pocket now and he can plan for that amount not realized for one puppy when it does happen. That seems like a good, decent compromise.

Edit: 3:30…the doctor called and they’re going into surgery.
At this point all I can say is good luck, good luck, good luck. And, of course, keep us posted. It sounds like your baby Bosch (LOVE that name, love Michael Connelly ) is in good hands.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
At this point all I can say is good luck, good luck, good luck. And, of course, keep us posted. It sounds like your baby Bosch (LOVE that name, love Michael Connelly ) is in good hands.
I always appreciate your input. Thank you!

6 pm central, doctor just called. Bosch is out of surgery, it seems to have gone well. If everything tracks accordingly, we'll have him home tomorrow. Boy, that little pup is gonna get extra spoiling for the next few weeks.

We asked her to give him a little extra love….he’s just a baby after all.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,376,421 times
What a story. I'm so glad to read that surgery seems to have gone well, but heck, WHAT A START to his life with you! I hope he has a smooth and complete recovery. Poor little baby dog.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
What a story. I'm so glad to read that surgery seems to have gone well, but heck, WHAT A START to his life with you! I hope he has a smooth and complete recovery. Poor little baby dog.
Me too.

The doctor called a few minutes ago. His anesthesia has worn off and she said, “He’s up and bouncing around his little cage. He’s very rambunctious.”

Yep, that’s our little guy.

She went on to say that we should be able to get him around 8:30. She’ll call us early and confirm.

Ok, here’s the game-plan. Up at 0530. Load the truck with lights, fans x 5, etc for the new house. Drop them off and let MrsK7 see the house since most of the lights have been installed.

Stop at a grocery store. Get a thank you card and gift card for the intern who has been taking care of Parker. Breakfast at Cracker Barrel. They know us by name and if we don’t have breakfast there once on the weekend, they worry that something happened. We’ll tell them the short version and set their expectations for the future.

Then, we’ll head over to Auburn. UGA (number 2) is playing Auburn so traffic will be a challenge. Maybe getting their early will make it slightly easier. From there, home…..and football….and Bosch!

Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 AM

Our timing was perfect. We arrived at the Auburn Small Animal Hospital at 8:05. Game traffic hadn’t even started. We walked inside and the receptionist got a phone call as we were giving our info to her. While waiting on that call to end, Bosch’s dr called with the update ie all good, procedure was reviewed as were his meds.

“Come get him” -> “We’re here already.”

She made two trips down. One to explain in detailed his medications and the second, to bring him home. He looks great, just extremely groggy. We arrived home, he urinated for a long time and went right back to sleep.

We used that down time to organize the apartment, sort out the items for the house, do a little cleaning and, begin to breath and relax again. So far, the outcome couldn’t have been better. Thank goodness!

Old 10-09-2021, 10:04 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Things happen no one fault. Back in the 1980s I was homeless staying with my boss. Any way my 3 dogs were at the vets boarding. 1 Preggers collie became 7 ..she had 6 pups. About the time their eyes were open we heard a scream ran into the kennel one back nail of a pup was in the Eye of another pup! I could not sell him I knew he needed a special home.. Not me. By the time he was 8 weeks old & all other pups were in their Furever home in walks a couple with 3 year old brother from a different litter. Regular vet visit. Love at 1st sight all way around. Big brother became little brothers seeing eye dog for 18 years! When little bro was 6 months old he was castrated & the eye removed. I took him to K-9 eye dr that told me it could not be saved & suggest removal when he was fixed.

I glad your pups eye has a chance. Things happen beyond control of even the pups mom. & living in a vet office with vet & his assit & me the breeder & mom. Just happens. Some where some how that pup need you! and you were there!

Old 10-09-2021, 12:04 PM

Awesome story! You have such a big heart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs