Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times

Advertisements

I found on a holistic site that you can treat parvo with Activated Charcoal. I volunteer at a shelter and we had a dog die over the weekend. Vet said it was probably parvo although I didn't see any signs of it when I was there but I don't know what else it could be.

There are a lot of testimonials that it works. The activated charcoal supposedly pulls the virus poison out.

Natural Parvo Remedies

I know so many people can not afford the $$$ for vet bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 106,239 times
It works! Saves my female's pup life after vet said there was nothing to be done. 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal, 2 teaspoons of Apple cider vinegar, 8 oz of bottled water, 8 oz of pedialyte. Mix in a 16 oz bottle. Give 3 5ml syringes every 4 hours while giving a 50/50 water pedialyte mixture every two hours. My dog was near death and was already on the up swing after her second dosage. This mixture held their body cope with with parvo virus as if it isn't anything at all!! Allows pups immune system to build immunities quickly since parvo symptoms are subdued!! The vets know this!!! A ten dollar bottle of activated charcoal and save your dog from parvo! I got my bottle at my local vitamin shoppe. Some gnc also carry

Old 04-05-2015, 09:15 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Parvo is nothing to mess with and should be treated by a vet. It's a virus so supportive care is important. Most dogs will need iv fluids. Even with the best vet care some dogs won't make it. Please get puppies vaccinated. IMO this is not an illness to to treated at home. Please take your dog to the vet that will give it the best chance of living. Trying to treat this at home could kill your dog.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 PM

Ok, in case you can't read English.. Took my dog to vet, they treated her then sent her home with me to die because she didn't respond well to treatment and I refuse to give up on her and give them an additional 300 bucks to put her to sleep after spending 1500.00 to treat her.. Figured I might as well give it a shot! And it worked! I called the vet and told them and they said they've heard of it before.. The problem is we are all brainwashed to think that the pharmaceutical companies are the only ones to help us with illnesses.. This earth has everything you need.. Listen, screw what the poster above says, if you are strapped for cash and want to save your dogs life then use the activated charcoal

Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
If I was stranded on an island with no medical supplies or any other option, I'd definitely give charcoal a try, assuming I could start a fire and make some.

Otherwise, it would be foolish to try this. Parvo is a fast-ticking time bomb. It's a virus, not indigestion.

I'm glad it worked for the poster above, as a last straw. That's exactly how it should be used, IMO. The only option, or the last straw.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Actually what most likely happened is the Meds the Vet gave finally kicked in! You giving him fluids kept him from dying of Dehydration!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:09 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook718 View Post
Ok, in case you can't read English.. Took my dog to vet, they treated her then sent her home with me to die because she didn't respond well to treatment and I refuse to give up on her and give them an additional 300 bucks to put her to sleep after spending 1500.00 to treat her.. Figured I might as well give it a shot! And it worked! I called the vet and told them and they said they've heard of it before.. The problem is we are all brainwashed to think that the pharmaceutical companies are the only ones to help us with illnesses.. This earth has everything you need.. Listen, screw what the poster above says, if you are strapped for cash and want to save your dogs life then use the activated charcoal
My English comprehension is excellent, thank you. My post was for anyone reading this thread and not directed at you which is why I didn't quote you. I stand by what I wrote in my previous post. I'm glad your dog recovered.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:49 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
it can help...but it wont cure, parvo is a virus, activated charcoal neutrilies poiens and toxins...the AC might help reduce the toxicity levels of the dying tissue and decay in the gut, but the ONLY thing that cures parvo is the dogs immune ystem...treatment for parvovirus is FLUIDS and mediction to reduce nausea...that's it...
at a vets office they do this by iv, at home its done with SubQfluids and either oral or inected medication...

id hve no doubt that AC plus the electrolytes in ACV will help (dehydration and electrolyte imbalance is the major killer of parvo...)
Ive saved parvo dogs...and ive lost parvo dogs...

I do agree its not something to mess around with though and it spreads, like wildfire...

I lost a dog to parvo virus and the ONLY exposure she could have had was me bringing it in (likely on my shoes...)
I still feel guilty for not being able to save her...but some ust cant make it through (black and tan dogs like dobes and rots are particularly delicate when it comes to parvo...)

Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Actually what most likely happened is the Meds the Vet gave finally kicked in! You giving him fluids kept him from dying of Dehydration!
I forgot to mention that my second dog caught parvo and we didn't take it to the vet at all because vet said he was too young and chances of survival wee slim. Just used mixture and hes good too!!!! It was a first straw for him.. Knew what the symptoms were from last dog.. Listen go waste your money at the vet if you want, only to get a 50/50 chance of survival.. I'm sticking with the charcoal. It buys the dog TIME so that they're own immune systems can take over virus. When an infected parv cell explodes in the body, those particles/ cell trash, enters the bloodstream, and that's where the activated charcoal comes in play. It's 2 for 2 in my household .. Vet 0 for 2

Last edited by Brook718; 04-08-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 PM

483 posts, read 654,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook718 View Post
I forgot to mention that my second dog caught parvo and we didn't take it to the vet at all because vet said he was too young and chances of survival wee slim. Just used mixture and hes good too!!!! It was a first straw for him.. Knew what the symptoms were from last dog.. Listen go waste your money at the vet if you want, only to get a 50/50 chance of survival.. I'm sticking with the charcoal. It buys the dog TIME so that they're own immune systems can take over virus. When an infected parv cell explodes in the body, those particles/ cell trash, enters the bloodstream, and that's where the activated charcoal comes in play. It's 2 for 2 in my household .. Vet 0 for 2

Sure but by not treating with a vet as well you run the risk of giving parvo to another dog. It is VERY contagious and if not treated with the proper precautions it will spread.
Parvo is contagious for up to two months after the dog has recovered and you can spread it just by walking around and then walking into another dogs life.

The vet treatment might not always be successful but they can also help you manage to contain it.
You just got lucky honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs