Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,868 times

Advertisements

At least now I'll have the stuff if it happens to the next puppy.. gotten the stuff today and our other puppy already past most likely last nite.. it sucks but thank u for the next one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,798 times
I guess no one here but s few people realise mother natures herb are our pharmacy. I have successfully save 35 puppies and lost one with a tea i make. After spending 2500.00 on vet bill and lost all my pups i fugured out by reading and reading. So no your vet didnt save your dog sweety you did. The first thing they must have is your dedication and love without that they will die.
My recipe.
To a saucepan place 3 cups water bring to a boil shut off. Add 1 T. Peppermint leaves. 1 T. Hybiscus flowers. 1 T. Yarrow leaves and flowers. 3 chopped plaintain leaves. 1 tea.ground ginger. 2 echinacea goldenseal capsules emptied. 1 tea. Wild cherry bark. Scrape inside skin of willow bark about a tea .small dandelion root chopped up. 1/4 tea. Electrolite powder from farm store. Allow to sit half hour strain then add 2 T. Diatomaceous earth and 2 T. Local harvested honey take small dish place some in it add a ice cube stir use a medicine dropper give slowly every 15 min.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:58 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I found on a holistic site that you can treat parvo with Activated Charcoal. I volunteer at a shelter and we had a dog die over the weekend. Vet said it was probably parvo although I didn't see any signs of it when I was there but I don't know what else it could be.

There are a lot of testimonials that it works. The activated charcoal supposedly pulls the virus poison out.

Natural Parvo Remedies

I know so many people can not afford the $$$ for vet bills.
If you had a dog die over the weekend at the shelter you work at, then I hope the WHOLE place is quarantined and disinfected!!! It is HIGHLY contagious and to adopt out dogs who might have this disease will break many hearts of the people who have adopted them and being spread to the dogs they already own.

Canine Parvo Virus: Learn the Deadly Facts

Disinfecting Inside and Out

Quote from the link:
Quote:
If your dog or puppy is diagnosed with Parvo Virus, the virus can live indoors (in your house) for up to one month. At that point the virus dies and is ineffective. If a dog or puppy with parvo has been in your home, even as a visitor, you should wait a minimum of 30 days before bringing a new puppy or an adult dog with unknown vaccine history (such as a shelter or rescue dog) into your home.

Bleach is the most effective way to kill the virus on hard surfaces such as concrete or hard plastic and metal (such as dog crates). Since it does not work well on porous surfaces it is not practical or effective to use on grass. If an infected dog has been outdoors, you can water down the yard to dilute the virus, reducing but not totally eliminating its potency. It takes between five and seven months for the virus to die outside.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:38 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
My dog had parvo as a puppy (which he got before he was my dog, which I treated, which is part of the reason he is now my dog). Anywho, the vet said "antibiotics and take him home OR leave him here for iv fluids for a few days costing you possibly thousands". I chose the first option. Poor boy slept in my master bath and I spoon fed him gatorade. If I'd had charcoal I would have tried it!

When an unconventional method gets great reviews, it's worth a shot!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,661 times
I'm going thru it currently with my 12 week old German Shepard puppy. (Who has been vaccinated according to schedule FYI) She's just come home from being at the vet all weekend receiving IV meds & fluids. However, because I cannot continue to shell out $800 a day (seriously?!!!) I'm continuing treatment at home. But due to the ridiculous techs and yet more outrageous amounts of money they want, I don't have the materials FOR a SubQ setup & can't buy them locally. (currently have them ordered but we're still talking at least 2 days for shipping) So... I've gone out & purchased activated charcoal & I'm really hoping it helps. Any suggestions? Dosage amounts? She's throwing up everything I give her orally, but diarrhea has stopped so far (fingers crossed) so that med from vet must be helping. I don't want all that expensive hydration I paid for her to receive all weekend be for nothing. How about "up the rear" w/ fluids? Or dissolved medicines? Because how is the oral stuff from doc supposed to stop the vomiting & diarrhea if she can't keep it down long enough to work? I only have four 24 hour Cerenia tablets from doc anyway & I can't afford to waste them. Any & all constructive information will be greatly appreciated. But if your only going to bash me about something please keep it to yourself. This is stressful enough without needless nastiness from some hater.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,212 times
Parvo is contagious no matter you treat with the vet or not and there is no cure for Parvo.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,212 times
Is the charcoal you have tablets or powder

Old 05-01-2017, 03:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minihorsehappy76 View Post
Parvo is contagious no matter you treat with the vet or not and there is no cure for Parvo.
However if you take your dog to the vet it has a much better chance of surviving and the dog suffers less with the supportive care.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:22 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook718 View Post
I forgot to mention that my second dog caught parvo and we didn't take it to the vet at all because vet said he was too young and chances of survival wee slim. Just used mixture and hes good too!!!! It was a first straw for him.. Knew what the symptoms were from last dog.. Listen go waste your money at the vet if you want, only to get a 50/50 chance of survival.. I'm sticking with the charcoal. It buys the dog TIME so that they're own immune systems can take over virus. When an infected parv cell explodes in the body, those particles/ cell trash, enters the bloodstream, and that's where the activated charcoal comes in play. It's 2 for 2 in my household .. Vet 0 for 2
An opium suppository designed to use in human babies works just as well.

It wasn't the charcoal that worked as much as the electrolytes you dispensed. There is nothing that's guaranteed to work to save a dog with parvovirus.

But don't be foolish- a vet knows more than you or I about it, has more and better equipment, and more skill and experience.

I'm glad you got lucky. Twice. But it wasn't the charcoal alone.

Why didn't you vaccinate your dogs? That's the only sure-fire way for them to survive parvo. And a vaccination is plenty cheap. Those puppy shots are well worth the money they cost. I learned that the hard way long ago, after losing a pup. I've also saved a puppy, but I never want to take that risk again.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:32 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook718 View Post
I forgot to mention that my second dog caught parvo and we didn't take it to the vet at all because vet said he was too young and chances of survival wee slim. Just used mixture and hes good too!!!! It was a first straw for him.. Knew what the symptoms were from last dog.. Listen go waste your money at the vet if you want, only to get a 50/50 chance of survival.. I'm sticking with the charcoal. It buys the dog TIME so that they're own immune systems can take over virus. When an infected parv cell explodes in the body, those particles/ cell trash, enters the bloodstream, and that's where the activated charcoal comes in play. It's 2 for 2 in my household .. Vet 0 for 2
The % rate of survival at a 24 hour hospital is 95%. And most puppies that die are due to lack of funds to continue. Mine stayed on the edge of death longer than we would have liked, but then POOF. Suddenly her tummy could keep some food in and it was all uphill from there.

She has fluids, several meds that controlled nausea and diarrhea (she was very lucky not to get the latter very much) and a plasma transfusion. ER Vet said it was worth the money to speed up healing which would pay for itself in a shorter stay there. IDK if that is right or not but puppy did improve dramatically. $3500. That is a lot of money, and I have seen that other people have gotten similar hospital treatment for much less, but I am stuck with my high-grossing ER. It was offered to transfer to regular Vet, but I was worried about her IV being unattended overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs