Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:39 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
However if you take your dog to the vet it has a much better chance of surviving and the dog suffers less with the supportive care.
Right. You are supporting the body to help it survive the virus. They even told me 'will to live' was important. She was a stray. She barely knew me yet. So I went to visit a lot. I told he she'd have a wonderful life if she would live!

I held her and sang to her. (Lots of privacy since she was in her own room by herself). She would crawl towards me when I came. Couldn't stand up, but she wanted her new temp-mama, that was clear.

They said later she got very spoiled rotten very fast. She'd go poopy and look at them like well? You going to clean this up? Little diva.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,536 times
My GERMAN Shepard got parvo. The vet saved her., not KNOW in I bought another Australian shepherd . He is 8 weeks old. I can't afford the money for the vet right now. So I've been giving him the activated charcoal for two days now. He's taken a couple of sips of water on his own but no food yet. How long do I continue wit the AC? Do I force feed him?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gonzales View Post
My GERMAN Shepard got parvo. The vet saved her., not KNOW in I bought another Australian shepherd . He is 8 weeks old. I can't afford the money for the vet right now. So I've been giving him the activated charcoal for two days now. He's taken a couple of sips of water on his own but no food yet. How long do I continue wit the AC? Do I force feed him?
He needs to go to the vet. If you can't afford it check into a credit care card, sell something or borrow the money. The puppy is more than likely dehydrated and needs an IV.

If you ever get another dog please be sure to get it from a rescue or breeder where it has had it's shots and make sure you follow up on the shot schedule. The parvo virus can live in the ground in your backyard for years.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
Default Parvo Treatment

I recently adopeted two puppies
One a Chihuaua/Lab mix (Milo) and the other a teacup Chihuahua (Apollo).
Milo came down with Parvo first, I originally thought it was just worms as he was only lethargic with diharrea. After there was blood present in his stool I knew something was wrong. I immediately took him to the vet, where he was diagnosed with parvo. I did everything the vet recommended and spent almost 2k. After that I thought everything was was fine. But Milo ended up not making it. A week later Apollo started demonstrating the symptoms and turned bad fast. I took him to the vet where they basically told me he had a 10% chance 12 hours later he was running and eating. I'm going to tell you what I did in helps it saves another puppy.

It's very important they stay hydrated but not over hydrated.
We opted for the vet to give us an IV kit for SubQ fluids at home, an antibiotic shot, and some anti nausea medication. All of which are key for survival as Parvo puppies die from either dehydration or sepsis most of the time.
But what I think really saved Apollo was the mix I made.
I took a trenta cup from Starbucks and added water, Pedialyte (the advanced care one), Karo syrup (to give them some sugar as they're most likely anemic), a packet of Emergen-C the immune support supplement, and a packet of florastor kids a probiotic.

After mixing these and giving him anti nausea medicine so he could keep it down I rotated between two syringe fulls of the mix and SubQ fluids.

I hope this helps!!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Why are people adopting/buying dogs from people who don't vaccinate them against parvo in the first place? Require proof of vaccination. If the seller can't provide it, pass. To let them get away with such neglect means parvo is still present in the environment where someone else's dog could pick it up. Anyone breeding their dogs should vaccinate the adults as well as puppies. Who wants to sentence a dog to such misery when it is preventable? You wouldn't do the same for rabies would you? If you don't know what diseases pups should/can be vaccinated for, find out before getting one!

Old 12-28-2017, 12:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Quote:
He needs to go to the vet. If you can't afford it check into a credit care card, sell something or borrow the money. The puppy is more than likely dehydrated and needs an IV.

If you ever get another dog please be sure to get it from a rescue or breeder where it has had it's shots and make sure you follow up on the shot schedule. The parvo virus can live in the ground in your backyard for years.
OMG

This is out of control, this whole thing. If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a dog.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook718 View Post
It works! Saves my female's pup life after vet said there was nothing to be done. 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal, 2 teaspoons of Apple cider vinegar, 8 oz of bottled water, 8 oz of pedialyte. Mix in a 16 oz bottle. Give 3 5ml syringes every 4 hours while giving a 50/50 water pedialyte mixture every two hours. My dog was near death and was already on the up swing after her second dosage. This mixture held their body cope with with parvo virus as if it isn't anything at all!! Allows pups immune system to build immunities quickly since parvo symptoms are subdued!! The vets know this!!! A ten dollar bottle of activated charcoal and save your dog from parvo! I got my bottle at my local vitamin shoppe. Some gnc also carry

I am doing this to my 13 week old puppy I hope this works how long did it take gmfor your puppy to eat in their own after this treatment

Old 02-23-2018, 12:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingchang16 View Post
I am doing this to my 13 week old puppy I hope this works how long did it take gmfor your puppy to eat in their own after this treatment
Take you puppy to the vet. A puppy this young can become very ill very quickly.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:27 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Quote:
Parvo is nothing to mess with and should be treated by a vet. It's a virus so supportive care is important. Most dogs will need iv fluids. Even with the best vet care some dogs won't make it. Please get puppies vaccinated. IMO this is not an illness to to treated at home. Please take your dog to the vet that will give it the best chance of living. Trying to treat this at home could kill your dog.
There is no magic cute that a vet can give.

Actually a friend of mine took their dog to the vet a couple weeks ago and the dog was sent home to treat. She survived. Another friend of mine had a litter come down with it and same thing when she took a couple sick pups in, they sent them home to be treated. Some made it.

I left my dog at the hospital because I we unable to be home during the whole time to treat and watch over her. She survived too, her brother who was owned by another lady died at the hospital.

All that can really be done is to treat the symptoms. Whether the vet assistant does this or it is done at home.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,225 times
Its nice that everyone has an opinion but if you live off the grid in cattle country 1 trip to the vet takes 9 hours, and they are closed one day a week and weekends. This does not allow one to depend on a vet for the survival. Ex. a Mojave snake bit kills in 40 min if you are resourseful and have medical grade saline & DMSO, benadryl and 2 other remedies it has allowed all of our dogs to live. Holistic medication aims to cure with excellent results and not just to mask the issues. Now for all those haters please do your homework Parvo can be cured at home with items like activated charcoal, pedilite, apple vinegar "the mother", phosphorus which helps with nasua and vomiting, china off aids with dehydration, ginger tea to help the nasua and digestive system you can also feed bone broth soup good source of nutrition, Mersurious Corrosivas , cinnamon, garlic pills, and collidial silver which are all wonderful product. So do your research and educate yourself it is science an an art of itself, for all my four legged friends are well and health and prosperous in their life. If it didn't work I'd be in jail for animal abuse. Another note you should pay attention all my dogs have not been vaccinated by vaccines. We expose our animals to parvo and distemper + other viruses naturally and when a titter test is preformed our dogs surpass those give their vaccine shots at the vet. you have to be pro active and being closed minded just make us unable to learn and ignorant. Dogs have been here since the beginning of time and they survived with out western medication so what makes you think its the only thing you can depend on. People should also listen and read not ridicule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs