Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
but i suppose she is not "beautiful" enough.... being just a heeler mix from the shelter....
OMG, she is gorgeous!! I believe Rudy is at least part Cattle Dog, and I've always had a thing for Heelers too... if I could handle another dog right now, I'd specifically be looking for one (in rescue) JUST like your girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Fair enough....

We are working Rip at 4AM now due to the heat.....maybe it is getting to me too....
I was talking more to the OP. Personally, I wouldn't spend thousands on a dog, but to each his or her own. I just don't see why the OP would need to spend that much just to get a good guard dog.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:57 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Also, if a purebred puppy comes from a mill or has inbreeding in its genetics that can cause health problems.

I think that's why most everyone has recommended if the OP is bent on getting a purebred to go to a COE (Code of Ethics) breeder. They can provide you with enough paper to fill a library on their dogs' medical histories for generations, OFA certifications (orthopaedics), conformation, and the list goes on. There is some serious money behind these pups, and some serious choices. These breedings are planned for months and months, if not years. Dogs are paired not only because they are papered, but matched in temperament, size, pedigree, etc. COE breeders do not do giveaways, raffles, auctions, or sell to pet stores. They only breed to improve the breed, not just for the heck of it - and most importantly, they agree to be responsible for that dog for the rest of it's life. Many of them follow a dog throughout it's life. The parents of the pup will be on site, their paperwork will be available for review...I mean, it is a process to get one of these dogs, even if it isn't show quality.

There is a Code of Ethics for most breeds. This is a generalized one - as you can see, it's pretty in depth:

Breeders.NET Code of Ethics

I'd just like to caution the OP on one thing - just because a dog has AKC on it's papers doesn't mean it came from a COE breeder. It's a whole 'nother topic, but please, please do your homework. It just makes me ill to see people pay huge sums of money for a "registered, purebred" dog from a great salesman, only to find out later the pup was the result of multiple generations of inbreeding and has so many problems you can't even count 'em.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Unless you are showing a dog, spending more than $300 to acquire and fix your puppy seems insane to me. If money is a concern why not rescue a dog and put that $1000 to use on training, high quality food and the inevitable vet bills.
I agree.
But to patronize a good, respectable, responsible breeder (which people should), there is NO WAY a dog will only cost 300 bucks.

I want a specific breed because of its predictable temperment, health issues, intelligence, compliance, etc.

Now if I didn't want a puppy, I'd go straight to the breed-specific rescue.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
I can't find a larger purebred of any type in the state of Colorado- from a non-sketchy breeder- for less than that.
In fact most are closer to 1500. I'll pay it if that seems reasonable to you folks. I just wasn't expecting it so I had to ask.
I saw further down in the answers to your post that you are not all that keen on adoption?? Why?? I will not have any other type of dog, not ever. Years ago, I purchased a purebred Pekinese and he was AWFUL..mean, nasty and he bit EVERYONE. I paid a lot of cash for him and had to have him destroyed. Since that time, no dog who has ever lived with me has been anything but adopted. We had a black lab/pit bull mix who was absolutely gorgeous. She was mostly black with some tan markings and had the bigger upper pit bull body but was tall like a lab. She was found wandering the streets of Bridgeport CT with two puppies. The pups got adopted quicly but no one wanted "Cheech" so we took her home.
After Cheech passed away, we again went on a search for an adoptee. I was standing next to the cages in a shelter that doesn't keep dogs long when they find them or a "kill shelter". I heard a little whimpering and look down and there is my sweet Alice sitting in her own urine, bleeding and very thin. She had been found tied to a dumpster in the city, had just had puppies, someone stole all her puppies and left her behind. She is a purebred American Pit Bull Terrier. She is solid black with four white feet that have freckles and a white chest, beautiful. We adopted her on the spot for $50.00 donation.
When we got Alice home, she was super sick with Kennel Cough..very common in shelter dogs. I spent nights sleeping with her and many trips to the vet to get her better.
She has gone from 25 pounds of bones to almost 60 pounds of sheer muscle and is the sweetest, kindest, smartest dog ever.
Adopting saves lives and fills your heart with love because these little or big creatures are so eternally grateful that they will do ANYTHING to please you.
Think about it. Take some time to investigate different shelters. Put the word out to the shelters that you are looking for a purebred..they too get abused, abandoned or left behind!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I think that's why most everyone has recommended if the OP is bent on getting a purebred to go to a COE (Code of Ethics) breeder. They can provide you with enough paper to fill a library on their dogs' medical histories for generations, OFA certifications (orthopaedics), conformation, and the list goes on. There is some serious money behind these pups, and some serious choices. These breedings are planned for months and months, if not years. Dogs are paired not only because they are papered, but matched in temperament, size, pedigree, etc. COE breeders do not do giveaways, raffles, auctions, or sell to pet stores. They only breed to improve the breed, not just for the heck of it - and most importantly, they agree to be responsible for that dog for the rest of it's life. Many of them follow a dog throughout it's life. The parents of the pup will be on site, their paperwork will be available for review...I mean, it is a process to get one of these dogs, even if it isn't show quality.

There is a Code of Ethics for most breeds. This is a generalized one - as you can see, it's pretty in depth:

I'd just like to caution the OP on one thing - just because a dog has AKC on it's papers doesn't mean it came from a COE breeder. It's a whole 'nother topic, but please, please do your homework. It just makes me ill to see people pay huge sums of money for a "registered, purebred" dog from a great salesman, only to find out later the pup was the result of multiple generations of inbreeding and has so many problems you can't even count 'em.
Great post!!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Yep...we were shown pictures of four other litters from Rip's cross....their show record and how THEIR puppies have done.

They also did not have to do this but....when we checked into the motel they recommend...our room had been paid for.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
OMG, she is gorgeous!! I believe Rudy is at least part Cattle Dog, and I've always had a thing for Heelers too... if I could handle another dog right now, I'd specifically be looking for one (in rescue) JUST like your girl.

thank you!! ... she is my heart dog......

and something about Rudy's stance and build.... I've always thought he had some cattle dog in him, too.....

Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
But to patronize a good, respectable, responsible breeder (which people should), there is NO WAY a dog will only cost 300 bucks.

I want a specific breed because of its predictable temperment, health issues, intelligence, compliance, etc.

Now if I didn't want a puppy, I'd go straight to the breed-specific rescue.
I'm not suggesting anyone go to a breeder, reputable or otherwise. Perhaps I should have been more clear. If I'm getting a dog as a pet as opposed to some of the other reasons people have suggested (hunting, showing, etc) then $300 is my limit. That $300 will be going to a rescue organization or shelter. I believe my local shelter currently has an adoption fee in the $200 range. You may want to spend 1000s of dollars on a specific breed as a pet and that's fine it's your money, but I think it's insane.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,165 times
Default purebred prices

I just bought two Old English Sheepdogs in Maine, from a breeder that I've bought from before, for $3000. That was the going price for OES in NE from reliable, professional sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs