Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times

Advertisements

my best "gurad dog" is Dozer, hes 7 months old, 70lbs and was free off the side of the highway thanks to idiots who thought breeding a cane corso to an american bulldog would give them a money maker than couldnt be bothered keeping them safe.

he barks ONLY when he thinks i need to knwo somethign is wrong and lord help when he REALY thinkks theres soemthing wrong, hes large, hes scary looking and hes a big goofball.
so i do agree with late that for what your looking for theres way too many GOOD options to be paying $1500 especially since your definatly not going to find what your looking for in any 1 breed since a "good guard dog" is not a "laid back" gonna be ok alone for a long time kind of dog...and any Medium-large BLACK dog is by studies done with criminal populations, more than enough of a visual deterant to make MOST criminals think twice about aproacihign your proprty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,114,757 times
I wanted a specific kind of dog, so I found a rescue. I just didn't feel comfortable paying 1,000+ dollars for a dog from a breeder when there are so many dogs who need homes. I paid 300 dollars to the rescue for my dog and I felt good about spending the money. That money went to help other dogs. I have some friends who are paying 1800 for a bulldog puppy. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a dog when there are so many who desperately need homes and are free or only a few hundred dollars.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I wanted a specific kind of dog, so I found a rescue. I just didn't feel comfortable paying 1,000+ dollars for a dog from a breeder when there are so many dogs who need homes. I paid 300 dollars to the rescue for my dog and I felt good about spending the money. That money went to help other dogs. I have some friends who are paying 1800 for a bulldog puppy. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a dog when there are so many who desperately need homes and are free or only a few hundred dollars.
It depends on what you want to do.

I could not have gotten my hounds at a rescue.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
A reputable breeder willl NOT give you breeding rights unless you are showing the dog to a championship. Reputable breeders will sell pet-quality dogs contingent on the new owners getting the dog fixed. Reputable
True with my hounds.

And that was fine with me.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:33 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,842,103 times
I personally think it's silly to pay that much for a dog, when you can get a dog at the shelter for so much cheaper (I find almost all dogs cute or beautiful in some way or another). I'm also not convinced that purebreeds are any better behaved or easier to train. Dogs have their own personalities, so you can't really guarantee behavior without training.

If you just want a guard dog, I would think a puppy from a shelter or from the classifieds could get the job done. You might be able to find out just by visiting the puppy whether they are timid or not. Separation anxiety is also not breed specific.

I also don't understand spend that much on a dog when studies have shown that mutts live longer. Also, if a purebred puppy comes from a mill or has inbreeding in its genetics that can cause health problems.
http://animal.discovery.com/news/bri...uttlonger.html

Just my two cents.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
A reputable breeder willl NOT give you breeding rights unless you are showing the dog to a championship. Reputable breeders will sell pet-quality dogs contingent on the new owners getting the dog fixed.

as it should be.....

Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I personally think it's silly to pay that much for a dog, when you can get a dog at the shelter for so much cheaper (I find almost all dogs cute or beautiful in some way or another). I'm also not convinced that purebreeds are any better behaved or easier to train. Dogs have their own personalities, so you can't really guarantee behavior without training.

If you just want a guard dog, I would think a puppy from a shelter or from the classifieds could get the job done. You might be able to find out just by visiting the puppy whether they are timid or not. Separation anxiety is also not breed specific.

I also don't understand spend that much on a dog when studies have shown that mutts live longer. Also, if a purebred puppy comes from a mill or has inbreeding in its genetics that can cause health problems.
Animal Planet :: Mutts Live Longer

Just my two cents.
Sorry but...it was my 2 cents that was spent......not yours.

I paid a lot to get the best.......and the breeders have been nothing but wonderful.

Rip runs 20 miles a day for his basic warm-up.

Not many pond dogs could do that.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
but driller, the difference here is the op wants a "guard dog" who will be ok on his or her own for several hours a day.... basically, a pet..... no specific breed or other purpose in mind..... and i think that is what stlcardsblues was speaking to......

your hounds are very specialized and very good at what they are bred and trained to do.... that is what you wanted them for and that is why they are worth what you paid for them....

Old 07-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
but driller, the difference here is the op wants a "guard dog" who will be ok on his or her own for several hours a day.... basically, a pet..... no specific breed or other purpose in mind..... and i think that is what stlcardsblues was speaking to......

your hounds are very specialized and very good at what they are bred and trained to do.... that is what you wanted them for and that is why they are worth what you paid for them....
Fair enough....

We are working Rip at 4AM now due to the heat.....maybe it is getting to me too....

Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,780,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
You'd be surprised.....

OP no the price of pups can vary. Depending on what your looking for that's actually on the "cheap" end. However pricing means nothing without testing, IMO. I know of "breeders" who charge thousands but with no "proof" ( working titles etc) to back up their pricing. Then there are those like show who price based on their "champions" Last but not least are the BYB's who base their pricing on their "special" dogs.

I have no problem with shelter dogs but I would have great difficulty finding my current breed. Even if I went to a rescue I would be turned down because I don't fit their criteria of proving a good home. Like no fence and renting.

However one thing I can do is only purchase from breeders who have proven/tested parents,actively involved in with their dogs/breed, etc. As well as trying to educate those who also wish to purchase a purebred dog.

Both my boys were pricy but worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
^^^You have to do your research to find that good breeder but it is well worth it. After losing my last Lab because of a genetic problem, making sure I got a healthy dog was my number one priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluw View Post
If you do pay that kind of money you are entitled to see proof of health tests and screenings done on the parents. Ask if the breeder takes a puppy back if you can't keep it. If they don't take responsibility for the puppies they produce, they are NOT responsible breeders. Walk away.
I pay that and more for a show pup. But you have to consider what a breeder puts into them. All puppies I buy come with a health warranty. The parents have been screened for problems with thyroid, eyes, heart, hips and DM. I show so this is very important to me. I wouldn't want to pass genetic problems on in a breeding. If one of my purchased dogs does have any of the above problems they are spayed or nuetered to avoid any accidental breedings.
My rescue dogs I have had, I don't bother screening because I will keep them no matter what. Any rescue dogs are immediately spayed or nuetered if it's not already done.
Good post again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs