Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times

Advertisements

We paid a medium price for our labs......about $350.....years ago.
They are our beloved house dogs.

Our Treeing Walker Coon hounds were much more but, they are a lot more dog.

Rip was 18 months and considered "well started" in running bear.
We paid $3500 for him.

Ape is a champion bear dog and was a lot more however, we got him to teach Rip.

Bo....I still don't know for sure what he cost.
The breeder just bought him from Wi when he bought Ape home from breeding obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Who are you calling a backyard breeder?
We have been breeding GSD's for over 30years. We have dogs in over 40 country's, on many police forces, used by the military, in schutzhund and as family pets.

The unwanted dogs, pups and cats, are the problem.
People breeding muts are part of the problem.

Not the dogs cats & pups from reputable breeders.
If you pay over 1k for a pup your not going to take it to a shelter.
If your a responsible owner or prospective buyer and you do your home work the chances of you being part of the problem is nonexistent.
You'd be surprised.....

OP no the price of pups can vary. Depending on what your looking for that's actually on the "cheap" end. However pricing means nothing without testing, IMO. I know of "breeders" who charge thousands but with no "proof" ( working titles etc) to back up their pricing. Then there are those like show who price based on their "champions" Last but not least are the BYB's who base their pricing on their "special" dogs.

I have no problem with shelter dogs but I would have great difficulty finding my current breed. Even if I went to a rescue I would be turned down because I don't fit their criteria of proving a good home. Like no fence and renting.

However one thing I can do is only purchase from breeders who have proven/tested parents,actively involved in with their dogs/breed, etc. As well as trying to educate those who also wish to purchase a purebred dog.

Both my boys were pricy but worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But not all purebred dogs are from reputable breeders. A reputable breeder will, among other things, take back a dog.
That's really neither here nor there, though, in the discussion of whether or not there are adoptable purebred dogs available from rescues. There are.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 PM

491 posts, read 2,291,458 times
Our local Los Angeles-area shelters are full of pit bull mixes, very large dogs and chihuahuas. It's been that way for many years. Rescue groups take out the cute, small and young pups because people will adopt those.

$1500 for a purebred dog from a reputable breeder is normal.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,381,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
is 1K+ for a purebred puppy insane?

No. Not at all.
Even with that, breeders (responsible ones that do all the testing and shuttle all the puppies to the vet etc) there isn't any much left over (if any).

I'll tell you what's insane.
$84.
$84 is the insanely cheap price that I paid for my last rescue and he is truly a one of a kind, beautiful animal with an unbeatable personality and I love him to absolute pieces. I love him every bit as much as my $2000 show dog stock dog. Consider that possibility and also that while some rescues can be more work, raising a puppy is a ton of work. And there's nothing like the bond that you form with a velco dog who's life you just spared.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,326 times
If you do pay that kind of money you are entitled to see proof of health tests and screenings done on the parents. Ask if the breeder takes a puppy back if you can't keep it. If they don't take responsibility for the puppies they produce, they are NOT responsible breeders. Walk away.
I pay that and more for a show pup. But you have to consider what a breeder puts into them. All puppies I buy come with a health warranty. The parents have been screened for problems with thyroid, eyes, heart, hips and DM. I show so this is very important to me. I wouldn't want to pass genetic problems on in a breeding. If one of my purchased dogs does have any of the above problems they are spayed or nuetered to avoid any accidental breedings.
My rescue dogs I have had, I don't bother screening because I will keep them no matter what. Any rescue dogs are immediately spayed or nuetered if it's not already done.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I'll tell you what's insane.
$84.
$84 is the insanely cheap price that I paid for my last rescue and he is truly a one of a kind, beautiful animal with an unbeatable personality and I love him to absolute pieces. I love him every bit as much as my $2000 show dog stock dog. Consider that possibility and also that while some rescues can be more work, raising a puppy is a ton of work. And there's nothing like the bond that you form with a velco dog who's life you just spared.
Amen.

I only paid $50 for my pound puppy, and he's now given me over 6 years of unconditional love, loyalty, companionship, protection, exercise, and some good lessons in patience (especially when he was still a puppy, LOL). I hope to get at least another 6 years of these "benefits" from him, so I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,832,788 times
I had a Cavalier King Charles and he was so sweet and yes they are expensive but the initial cost of any dog is really not so much compared to the long term expense. So I think people really need to factor that in regardless of shelter or pure breed if the dog has a health problem or just the daily living expense. I also did not research enough about the breed which though I was lucky many Cavalier have severe health problems and that would cost more then just money but heart break. Of course other factors like the breeder research, is the dog better for a home vs apt, or shedding etc.
When I was looking for another dog I was going to go more of an adoption route and I noticed every major breed has a rescue. Most would be older then a baby but if you go on pet finder I think you can put in the breed, your zip,and all the local shelters come up so you never know a baby may of the type you are interested in.
Good luck in what you decide

Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
I can't find a larger purebred of any type in the state of Colorado- from a non-sketchy breeder- for less than that.

In fact most are closer to 1500. I'll pay it if that seems reasonable to you folks. I just wasn't expecting it so I had to ask.
for the reasons you say you want the dog.... yes 1500 is INSANE.....

Quote:
I want a guard dog for my home who won't get depressed and destructive if I'm gone for 5+ hours at a time on a semi-regular basis. I will show him/her lots of love and attention and offer tons of exercise etc., but I do have to leave for several hours at a time. Therefore, a mutt with, say, border collie in her genes seems like a bad idea to me? But I'm new to this, admittedly.

I have no interest in showing, but maybe breeding down the line if its an option (but not a priority).

Shedding doesn't bother me, I have an active lifestyle but I can tone it down for a not-so-active breed very easily. I'm open to a lot of different breeds, as you can see. I have a smallish/medium-sized fenced in yard as well, fwiw.

^^ BEST. WATCHDOG. EVER.

nothing or no one approaches my house or the house to the immediate west, from front or back, that she doesn't know about it and make sure they know she knows.....

she's been on her own during the day while i work since she was 4 months old.... always VERY happy to see me when I get home, but doesn't seem traumatized by the time on her own....

but i suppose she is not "beautiful" enough.... being just a heeler mix from the shelter....

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM

9,881 posts, read 14,145,300 times
Quote:
I have no interest in showing, but maybe breeding down the line if its an option (but not a priority).
A reputable breeder willl NOT give you breeding rights unless you are showing the dog to a championship. Reputable breeders will sell pet-quality dogs contingent on the new owners getting the dog fixed.

Last edited by spencgr; 07-03-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs