Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:35 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,466,427 times

Advertisements

Just a comment: the price of a pure bred puppy is negligible when compared to potential vet expenses. Therefore, if you can increase the chances of choosing a healthy dog, it's a good investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,231,909 times
We have two purebred Miniature Schnauzers that each cost significantly more than the OP's $1k from a nationally recognized breeder of the breed. They have been great and health dogs and we consider it a fair price for the pups we got.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:33 PM

188 posts, read 209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Just a comment: the price of a pure bred puppy is negligible when compared to potential vet expenses. Therefore, if you can increase the chances of choosing a healthy dog, it's a good investment.
This was the mentality I had going into purchasing my dog, and I still stand by it.

My boy was over $2k (which is cheaper than many other breeds!), but I have all the CERF and OFA info on his parents and grandparents, going back 5 generations. Obviously not a guarantee, but it gives me peace of mind. He also comes from a long line of champion dogs, with titles in conformation and agility. His line is robust and healthy, so the initial investment was well worth it to me.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:45 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,466,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoDog View Post
This was the mentality I had going into purchasing my dog, and I still stand by it.

My boy was over $2k (which is cheaper than many other breeds!), but I have all the CERF and OFA info on his parents and grandparents, going back 5 generations. Obviously not a guarantee, but it gives me peace of mind. He also comes from a long line of champion dogs, with titles in conformation and agility. His line is robust and healthy, so the initial investment was well worth it to me.
What breed and how old is he?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:01 PM

188 posts, read 209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
What breed and how old is he?
He's a Samoyed. Turned 1 in February, but he's been with me since 8.5 weeks.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:09 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,236 times
Here is a pretty good breakdown of the costs associated with raising a quality litter: Cost of a puppy? The bottom six items on the list are the costs of a backyard breeder litter...it's a little confusing since there is no subheading. There should really be two separate lists each starting with the cost of a puppy b***h.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:13 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,236 times
Here is another cost breakdown: Justamere Ranch -- Why A Puppy Costs So Much

Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,255,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
I can't find a larger purebred of any type in the state of Colorado- from a non-sketchy breeder- for less than that.

In fact most are closer to 1500. I'll pay it if that seems reasonable to you folks. I just wasn't expecting it so I had to ask.

One thousand is reasonable for a pure bred dog; depending on breed. I paid that, plus a bit more for flying the pup into Denver CO a few years ago. And she is a great dog.

However, when it came time for her to have a playmate; I went the rescue route, and drove from southeaster ID to Reno to pick up a 2 year old male. And he is great too.

My suggestion has always been get what you want, understand what you are getting, and you should be happy, and a happy owner makes for a happy dog.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,312 times
I paid...

$300 for a healthy Lab puppy from a good, responsible breeder, in the early 1970's.

$400 for a show quality (second male pick of the litter) Springer pup in the late 1980's. (he later outdid his larger first-pick brother in terms of show achievements)

$0 for his half-sister in the early '90's, whose first owners were going to dump her at a shelter at the age of 5 months; she eventually earned her championship, and was the mother of the only litter I ever bred.

Can't remember the costs in breeding and rearing her daughter, who was the female pick of the litter, who turned out to hate dog shows and have a bad front; my friend and I, who co-owned her, loved and kept her all her life.

$800 for a show quality female pup co-owned by myself and a close friend in the late 1990's.

$1200 for a show quality male Cocker pup (not the pick of the litter, that pick pup was deemed pet quality and neutered at 7 months) in 2007 (currently my very spoiled only dog); he easily earned his conformation championship.

What they gave me....Priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs