Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Has anyone dealt with this?

Lucy, age 2 and a yorkie, was discovered to have several large bladder stones. She had subsequent surgery to remove the stones and was put on Amoxicillin for weeks afterward.

About two weeks ago, she got put on a prescription 'kidney' diet - or Royal Canin SO.

Since then, she has been leaking urine in her bed and in mine .

We go back tomorrow for another culture to make sure all the infection is gone. When the stone results came back - they were struvite and noted again she had a massive infection.

The vet pooh-poohs the incontinence and blames it all on the new food - which he states is high in salt, designed to make them drink more, and has 'put her over the edge' in terms of being able to hold her urine.

But she just lays in it - that's not even normal. When I go to pick her up off her blanket OR my bed - there will be large (for her) wet spot that she has just been laying in.

I'm going to have to put diapers on her at night.

Other than re-testing to make sure all the infection is gone - does anyone have any other ideas?

Could she have just gotten used to this since her surgery and now thinks it's ok?

I'm at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Poor Lucy. Poor you.

I've got no idea about this stuff but wanted to wish you well.

xo

Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Thank you Dawn. Little Miss Lucy is going to send me to an early grave! First we get all the liver issues worked out; then the knee problems . . we go along for a while just fine - then BAM.

Ringo is still going strong except for some skin allergies. Still barking, digging, and tormenting his little sister.

Hope all is well with you and someone on here has some ideas!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Dash had a bladder infection and kidney stones but he had calcium Oxalate ones and he surgery and he too as put on a special diet which I have to admit that despite my vets warnings I was not strict about and interesting thing all his urnine Ph's came back in the range we wanted them in and he never had stones again. I had no problems with him leaking and he drank a alot more water as I added water to his food to keep his kidney and bladder flushed.

I wonder if Lucy still has an infection and perhaps does not feel too well. When Dash developed that infection he just shut down and would not move would not eat and pee'd where he lay so I called the vet and said there is something seriously wrong with Dash and he had me bring him right in and he had a high fever and the infection and stones and was probably on the edge of going septic.

If she is over the infection I would start looking at other reasons as to why she is leaking. She is not on steroids for any thing is she? Any other medications? I would also consider some never damage or scar tissue causing problems.

I feel for you as I had a female dog that when she was older leaked when she would lay down and she too just layed in it and it was a chore keeping on top of that. I had her lay on puppy pads and towels but still had to wash her quite often. Jazz too developed a leak when she got old but DES fixed her ...thank GOD! Anyway I hope you can find the cause and fix it as she is too young to have to deal with that. Good luck

Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks Dash.

I guess I will know more Thursday when they do the urine culture. She is not on any other medications. I have been adding a little water to her morning food and she is getting only the canned 'SO' at night. I haven't noticed her drinking a great deal more but she is getting more water with the food.

I'm inclined to take her off this food but was curious if anyone else had some similar issues.

The vet mentioned some medication to strengthen her bladder. Sigh.

I just had all her hair cut off to help keep her clean until we figure this out. Yes, I think starting diapers at 2 years old is a bit much.

The vet mentioned that 'spay incontinence' is common in females - but she was spayed a long time ago and we did not have these issues. So, I really don't think we can blame it on that. He basically said - let's hope it's an infection because that we can fix.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
One of mine (14 lbs) leaks when laying down, her urine is very diluted and she's on meds (proin?) for the leaking (no uti etc, she had an urinalysis) - she's 12 1/2 now and it's prob. been going on for a few months - this also happened w/ an older bigger dog we had when she was older - apparently her kidneys arent working up to par - but the pills seem to be helping and she hasnt leaked - that said, she does drink a lot and go outside often to urinate but we can deal w/ that fine. I thought it's more common in older spayed girls but I suppose it might be something similar to what yours is experiencing (that said, it c/b totally another thing) - just another thought. Best of luck

Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 AM

1 posts, read 32,973 times
Hi Ringo,

I noticed your post from last year and I am curious if the food is causing the urine leaking. I have a dog, Harper, that went through stone surgery about 4 weeks ago. He didn't start having any incontinence issues until 2 weeks after the surgery. We had transitioned him onto the canned s/d diet that has a much higher salt level than his kibble. He has been drinking a fair bit and combined with the water level in the canned food, I am wondering if this is too much. It has been awfully coincidental that this did not start happening until he was exclusively on this canned food. He is on antibiotics to rule out a bladder infection. Unfortunately, the vet couldn't get a urine sample as Harper had relieved himself prior to entering the vet's office.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 32,123 times
Hi I have an 8 year old male schnauzer who had the stone removal surgery about a month ago and has had incontinence problems where it seems like he just cant hold a full bladder. As long as we let him out a million times during the day he doesn't have accidents. I notice the biggest problem to be first thing in the am after sleeping and not going all night......he just couldn't make it to door and would just let loose. He is also on the Royal Canin S/O as well....I have begun putting a diaper type wrap with a pad in it around his abdomen where his privates are and at least if he doesn't make it before it comes off he just goes in the pad.....I feel so bad for him and feel like the surgery ruined him....my heart is breaking for him as he seems even more skittish now than he was....

Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kquirk0505 View Post
Hi I have an 8 year old male schnauzer who had the stone removal surgery about a month ago and has had incontinence problems where it seems like he just cant hold a full bladder. As long as we let him out a million times during the day he doesn't have accidents. I notice the biggest problem to be first thing in the am after sleeping and not going all night......he just couldn't make it to door and would just let loose. He is also on the Royal Canin S/O as well....I have begun putting a diaper type wrap with a pad in it around his abdomen where his privates are and at least if he doesn't make it before it comes off he just goes in the pad.....I feel so bad for him and feel like the surgery ruined him....my heart is breaking for him as he seems even more skittish now than he was....
Well, I do know how you feel because I felt that way about Lucy - that the surgery ruined her. However, when they have several large bladder stones, you don't have much of a choice about the surgery.

A month isn't a terribly long time as his bladder is healing.

I would definitely tell my vet that he is having accidents. Lucy is on a pill that is supposed to strengthen her bladder. If I give it to her three times a day; she is fine. I cut down to two, though, because it did raise her blood pressure and she has other issues. The name of it is Phenylpropanol. I'm not sure if it works on males as well but I'm sure someone on here will know or your vet will know.

Also, the food is very salty and designed to make them drink more water so this might be tipping him just over the edge as well when it comes to holding his bladder.

Staying on top of a dog that can't control their bladder is a LOT of work; that's for sure.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Thanks Dash.

I guess I will know more Thursday when they do the urine culture. She is not on any other medications. I have been adding a little water to her morning food and she is getting only the canned 'SO' at night. I haven't noticed her drinking a great deal more but she is getting more water with the food.

I'm inclined to take her off this food but was curious if anyone else had some similar issues.

The vet mentioned some medication to strengthen her bladder. Sigh.

I just had all her hair cut off to help keep her clean until we figure this out. Yes, I think starting diapers at 2 years old is a bit much.

The vet mentioned that 'spay incontinence' is common in females - but she was spayed a long time ago and we did not have these issues. So, I really don't think we can blame it on that. He basically said - let's hope it's an infection because that we can fix.
Our Hallie became incontent long after she was spayed -- 12 years after, in fact. Yes, it's better if an infection is causing the leakage because that can be cured. But incontinence can be controlled. We tried an herbal medication as well as acupuncture, which might work for your girl. They didn't work for Hallie, and we put her on Proin the last two years of her life. It worked miraculously well with no side effects. But having a dog on PPA, the active ingredient, for the rest of your dog's life might be unhealthy. I don'tknow the longterm effects of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs