Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 15,639 times

Advertisements

I know it's sad. I think it's a huge injustice on the part of our vets - to not warn that there are serious possibile side effects, and also to not pursue every other option and use surgery as a last resort. I understand the risk of retention that is posed by having the stone in the bladder, but that was not the case with Max. This whole experience has severely damaged my trust in veterinarians, and that really sucks, because I have to depend on one for the health of the most important thing in the world to me. Thanks for the reply, I'm happy Lucy has made some progress, and hope she continues to do so!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 12:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinn View Post
I know it's sad. I think it's a huge injustice on the part of our vets - to not warn that there are serious possibile side effects, and also to not pursue every other option and use surgery as a last resort. I understand the risk of retention that is posed by having the stone in the bladder, but that was not the case with Max. This whole experience has severely damaged my trust in veterinarians, and that really sucks, because I have to depend on one for the health of the most important thing in the world to me. Thanks for the reply, I'm happy Lucy has made some progress, and hope she continues to do so!!
I know. I was never warned of incontinence. I still remember that first time I picked her up off the couch (after the surgery) and she was laying in a puddle of urine. I was shocked because that had never happened before.

When I called my Vet - he said it was due to her being spayed (2 years prior) and the new prescription food she was on that was supposed to make her drink more water. Yeah, ok. It's just a coinky dink that it happened a day after surgery.

I went and got a second opinion but no one EVER said it was due to the surgery. Not one Vet - ever. I do wish I had been prepared for that.

She was fairly young when she had the surgery (maybe 4) so that is a very long time to stay on top of a little doggie that can't control her bladder.

I tell her all the time it's a good thing she's cute! Of course I love her to pieces and nothing could change that. It did take me a while to get over it all - vet lies included.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:09 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I know. I was never warned of incontinence...

Many female dogs become incontinent right after being spayed. I think it may have something to do with vet's spaying technique, as I had three females spayed by the same vet and they all started leaking right away. My other females, who were spayed by the rescue group's vet, never leaked.

I dont know if there are different techniques for stone removal but, if so, maybe that's why some dogs leak afterward.

I worked in rescue for a while and the #1 reason for people dumping a female was incontinence. PPA was a great fix years ago but, of course, it was taken off the shelves -- now we have Proin, which works well too.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,121 times
my dog is going to be 13yrs old next month and she has 1 large bladder stone and a couple small ones, the vet said they have been there for a while and not growning or will not come out on it's own where they are positioned, she pees all the time and on my carpet when i'm not home, he said if i do the surgery it would have to be now because of her age, if i go all through this will she stop peeing all the time?

Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmy2k View Post
my dog is going to be 13yrs old next month and she has 1 large bladder stone and a couple small ones, the vet said they have been there for a while and not growning or will not come out on it's own where they are positioned, she pees all the time and on my carpet when i'm not home, he said if i do the surgery it would have to be now because of her age, if i go all through this will she stop peeing all the time?

I seldom respond to one-post newbies because they rarely, if ever, come back to read the replies. But I feel so bad for your poor dog that I'm going to break my rule in hopes that you'll be an exception and heed my advice.

The answer to your question is that it depends on WHY your dog is peeing/leaking/flooding. Have you tried giving her Proin, which is used to stop spayed females from leaking urine? I think I've already posted how unspayed females will often, especially as they age, start leaking/flooding urine without even being aware that they're doing it. Proin stops that.

I adopt only older dogs and have had to give almost all the spayed females Proin to stop their leaking. In some cases, they were flooding the floors when I first adopted them and the Proin always stopped that problem.

But I'd also be worried about your poor dog trying to pass a stone, especially the larger stone to which you referred. One of my dear dogs had stones (undiagnosed until he tried to pass one) -- and the agony he went through while trying to pass it was something I'd never want any of my dogs (or anyone else's dogs) to go through. Most doctors agree that passing a stone is the MOST painful experience known to man (followed by a gout attack and then childbirth).

At the age of 13, your dog deserves to have the BEST life you can give her. That includes having the surgery to remove her stones before they try to pass (and maybe get stuck).

Old 09-16-2018, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
My dog Jersey is 10. He just had bladder stone surgery and now pees everywhere. It’s almost unbearable to live with him. I’m at my wits end and don’t know what to do. No matter how many times we take him out he pees everywhere and he lays in his own urine now. He never did that before. He even peed directly on my lap. I don’t know how much more I can take.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court2714 View Post
My dog Jersey is 10. He just had bladder stone surgery and now pees everywhere. It’s almost unbearable to live with him. I’m at my wits end and don’t know what to do. No matter how many times we take him out he pees everywhere and he lays in his own urine now. He never did that before. He even peed directly on my lap. I don’t know how much more I can take.
How long ago was the surgery? He may just be recovering and if that's the case - I would try doggie diapers until it gets under control.

If it's been a while - definitely contact your Vet to see what could help him.

My Lucy (I started this thread a good while ago) has been helped by medication PLUS I go out with her when she goes out and make sure she pees.

Call your Vet.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:46 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Last Wednesday I had to visit an emergency room for acute urinary retention. Believe me, it is not something you want to experience. I get a couple of stones per year and the last one completely plugged up the works. There's a temporary work-around in place and I hope to get it addressed next week.

I've been dealing with stones for the last decade+. I do all the things the urologist recommends: drink lots of fluids, avoid salt, consume more calcium, and cut back on oxylates. Thus far it has only slowed down the process somewhat. I wish there were little robots that would go in and clean up the crystal growths. Meanwhile, I've developed this pain fugue state in my head that helps me deal with the worst waves. Walking around and trying different body positions also helps.

I keep a little collection of the larger stones in my bathroom as a memorial... yeah, that's probably a little creepy.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:06 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Last Wednesday I had to visit an emergency room for acute urinary retention. Believe me, it is not something you want to experience. I get a couple of stones per year and the last one completely plugged up the works. There's a temporary work-around in place and I hope to get it addressed next week.

I've been dealing with stones for the last decade+. I do all the things the urologist recommends: drink lots of fluids, avoid salt, consume more calcium, and cut back on oxylates. Thus far it has only slowed down the process somewhat. I wish there were little robots that would go in and clean up the crystal growths. Meanwhile, I've developed this pain fugue state in my head that helps me deal with the worst waves. Walking around and trying different body positions also helps.

I keep a little collection of the larger stones in my bathroom as a memorial... yeah, that's probably a little creepy.
Were you searching for the Health & Wellness subforum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs