Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:47 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,778,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy9 View Post
Update on my old collie - slowly but steadily declined and had 2 seizures in 2 days after 3 months free.
Let her go today by giving her rectal valium during seizure, couple of ACP in a bit of yoghurt which she licked up and almost instantly asleep - she was already fast asleep when vet injection given iv within half an hour.
We'd had a short morning walk in the sun a bit of a back end collapse and recovery, breakfast and lunch. I wasn't expecting it all to happen so suddenly but glad it was so peaceful and quick in the end.
RIP old lady.
So sorry to hear about your collie. It sounds like it was time and she's free from her pain and suffering now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
My labrador is 14 years old she as diabetes and is blind she as coped very well with this for three years and adjusted very nicely but in the last few months has had a few accidents with wetting while shes been asleep but now as started pooing first it was now and again but in the last few weeks its happening almost every day she finds it a struggle sometimes to get up im really struggling to no what to do shes my baby i no shes healthy but i feel in my heart shes ready to go i hate seeing her laid in her poop its heartbreaking please help xx

Old 02-20-2016, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times
My dog has had be in house 3 days in a row she is over 15 years now has colitis and hip displacha
Difficult getting around now I am going away several times next few months and having someone come in to feed and let her out just don't know how this is going to go I clean up after her but someone else may find it to much I'm at a loss

Old 07-17-2016, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For anyone who has an elderly dog with incontinence, I found this excellent article filled with detailed advice.

Scroll down to the "Incontinence" or "Bowel Incontinence" sections.

[URL]http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.cd.html[/URL]

It also has sections with detailed information on many other elderly health issues.

HOPES:
Thank you for the link to this article. And thank you for not playing god with your dog. All creatures want to live. It's basic instinct. They can't tell us they are ready for it to be over so we must assume that they want to live. I have a senior pet myself with the same problem as you. I could never put him down. I will do what ever it takes to keep him comfortable and happy. Just as I would do for any member of my family. I don't think its more humane to put an animal to death than it is to just make them as comfortable as possible and shower them with love every day. My dog is blind and has Fecal incontinence. But he also still loves to play, receive love, hang out with the family, go for rides and walks. He has quality of life. He's just old. Age is not a disease. And not a reason to murder any animal.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Your dog is in need of medical care.

It is cruel to let him suffer, which he is, as animals will not lay in their own dirt unless something is very wrong.

Please take your "beloved" dog to vet at once.
Please do not shame someone and act as if this person is a bad pet owner. You do not know the situation. I work in a vets office and am working towards my veterinary doctorate and I can tell you right now, just by this person getting on this site, they are showing love for their pet. Vet bills are expensive and not everyone can afford them. Even if they can, sometimes it's not worth the money. In this case, it doesn't seem like there is any reason to take the dog to the vet unless this becomes more and more regular. There is no shame in looking to solve an issue on your own before running to a vet. There are many people who bring their pets to the vet and at first glance you would call them horrible pet owners and say they don't love their pets, but that's not the case. The people you need to be worrying about are the ones who are screaming at their dogs when they have an accident. The ones not looking to solve the issue in any way. The ones wanting to put their dog down just so they dont have to clean up the messes. This person does not deserve your hateful words. I guarantee you are not a perfect owner, there is no such thing as a perfect owner. I strongly believe this person cares a great deal about their pet.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:40 AM

1 posts, read 984 times
Unhappy Sleep and potting

My sister has a pitbull her name is nicki and besides my children I love her more than anything she is so sweet and lovable nicki has had it hard she died in a house fire and fireman revived her and she was also stolen and found her way back home all beat up she is now 10 or 11 and she is breathing hard and peeing and pooping in her bed or where she lie this has happened twice it is not solid however and she acts like she is scared she will get in trouble if anything happens to her I don't know what I will do I am going through alot and have lost everyone close to me someone please tell me what this means and what to do I do not have the money to take her to the vet right now 20 more years with her still will not be long enough for me

Old 09-29-2016, 03:03 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,131,216 times
You need to take her to the vet. If you have a regular vet that actually cares about the animals more than his/her money they'll probably work something out for you payment wise. But she needs to go even if it means selling some things to raise the money.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,562,543 times
OP, there's not much you can do but live with it. Ours did the same. When you hear them get up and stumble to the door, you make a mad dash to get them outside. Sometimes you're too late. They can't help it. That's all.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:56 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,562,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley oliver View Post
My labrador is 14 years old she as diabetes and is blind she as coped very well with this for three years and adjusted very nicely but in the last few months has had a few accidents with wetting while shes been asleep but now as started pooing first it was now and again but in the last few weeks its happening almost every day she finds it a struggle sometimes to get up im really struggling to no what to do shes my baby i no shes healthy but i feel in my heart shes ready to go i hate seeing her laid in her poop its heartbreaking please help xx
Enjoy your last while with her. If she's struggling to get up, she's sore in the back end. The incontinence at that age is normal and yes it is heartbreaking to make that final decision that only you can make. (hugs)

Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,778,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanice curry View Post
My sister has a pitbull her name is nicki and besides my children I love her more than anything she is so sweet and lovable nicki has had it hard she died in a house fire and fireman revived her and she was also stolen and found her way back home all beat up she is now 10 or 11 and she is breathing hard and peeing and pooping in her bed or where she lie this has happened twice it is not solid however and she acts like she is scared she will get in trouble if anything happens to her I don't know what I will do I am going through alot and have lost everyone close to me someone please tell me what this means and what to do I do not have the money to take her to the vet right now 20 more years with her still will not be long enough for me
I'm sorry to tell you she needs to go to the vet. There may be rescue organizations that could help with the vet bill or if you can do it there is a credit care card that will let you put vet bills on credit. When they get older they need more vet care. It could be any number of things that is causing this problem. I would start by reaching out to some of the rescue organizations in your area or maybe the local animal control would have a list of rescues that you can call.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs