Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times

Advertisements

Hopes, only owners going through, or having gone through this same thing realize how it is with your old guy. I hope you have many more months or years of enjoyment with your beloved dog.

I went through this with one of our labs too. She truly tried to make it to the door and if someone wasn't there immediately, she'd poop in front of the door. It was just falling out of her. No big deal, I'd clean it up and carry on.

FYI to all owners of elderly dogs, one thing that hasn't been mentioned on here is urine incontinence with older dogs. Both of our labs started peeing in their beds at night while they were sleeping. It just leaked out of them.
NOTE: I can't remember what the medication is, but there are pills you can get at the vet that eliminate this problem. Unless the meds have changed since then (10 years ago), I was told that the effectiveness of this medication lasts for a year. Sure enough, almost exactly one year later, they started leaking again.

One more thought: if your older dog is weak in the hind end, you can help them manouver outside. Take a large towel, fold it lengthwise once or twice, and run it under their chest and abdomen. Bring both sides up and make a jelly roll handle for you to hold onto while you walk beside them. I think they now sell a sling for this purpose, but a rolled up towel works too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Thank you, gouligann.

Since the thread was revived, I'll give an update for anyone reading this with similar issues. We had to PTS at the end of March 2012, three months after my starting this thread. He was doing well, and then he suddenly became permanently paralyzed. It was different from when he was temporarily paralyzed in the past. This time, he lost complete control of his bowels and urine. He went down in the yard, when I picked him up, poop and pee just flowed out of him. The paralysis was his whole body from the neck down. (The previous temporary paralysis was just his back legs.) It was super sad.

For the record, he didn't just have arthritis. He had Degenerative Myelopathy of the spine. It's a progressive disease that starts at the back of the spine and works its way up to the neck and brain stem. Most dogs only live a few months after symptoms start. My dog lived 5 or 6 years past his first symptoms, and most of those years were high quality of life. When the bowels start going, it's downhill fast. Nothing can be done about Degenerative Myelopathy. There is no cure. There is no treatment. The best you can do is extend quality of life via LIGHT exercise to keep the muscles strong enough to support the weak joints and medication. The good news is that dogs feel no physical pain with Degenerative Myelopathy, but like Parkinson's, they have their minds so it's important to maintain their dignity as much as possible.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Hopes, SO sorry! you went through a lot, but we do what we can for our beloved pooches. When there is no quality of life left, we do the kindest, but most difficult decision of a pet lover in the end.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thank you, gouligann.

Since the thread was revived, I'll give an update for anyone reading this with similar issues. We had to PTS at the end of March 2012, three months after my starting this thread. He was doing well, and then he suddenly became permanently paralyzed. It was different from when he was temporarily paralyzed in the past. This time, he lost complete control of his bowels and urine. He went down in the yard, when I picked him up, poop and pee just flowed out of him. The paralysis was his whole body from the neck down. (The previous temporary paralysis was just his back legs.) It was super sad.

For the record, he didn't just have arthritis. He had Degenerative Myelopathy of the spine. It's a progressive disease that starts at the back of the spine and works its way up to the neck and brain stem. Most dogs only live a few months after symptoms start. My dog lived 5 or 6 years past his first symptoms, and most of those years were high quality of life. When the bowels start going, it's downhill fast. Nothing can be done about Degenerative Myelopathy. There is no cure. There is no treatment. The best you can do is extend quality of life via LIGHT exercise to keep the muscles strong enough to support the weak joints and medication. The good news is that dogs feel no physical pain with Degenerative Myelopathy, but like Parkinson's, they have their minds so it's important to maintain their dignity as much as possible.

Sorry for the loss of your beloved dog.
What a wonderful owner you were.

If you get another dog after you have grieved, I know it will have gotten the best of homes.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thank you, gouligann.

Our Bear had the same thing.......and now that I look back......almost the same time line.

How can dogs take your heart with them????

Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,177 times
Hi I have a 14 year old lab with poop problems it pops out in her sleep she has problemsr with her legs but meds have helped she has a good quality of life she is not stressed and we deal with it it's part of owning a dog and for all the people who have said to you to have your dog put to sleep I say you no in your heart when it is time sorry you have lost yours I have this to come to and count every day as a added bonus.
Ps I am blubbering as I wright this as I am a soft poop

Old 04-14-2014, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 19,631 times
You are describing my old dog exactly. She's a 16-year old Labrador, with degenerative myleopathy affecting her hind legs, the right much more than the left. Last night she went in her sleep in her bed. She was mortified. Saturday, she tired her legs out in tall grass and when tried to squat, she sat down instead, dragged her right leg behind her, found a new spot and did it again. But she got the job done. Broke my heart to watch her. Have you had any success in finding a treatment or remedy that works?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM

My 16 year-old Lab began leaking in her sleep, and I thought it was from her degenerative myleopathy that was weakening her legs. Turned out to be a minor bladder infection, which is also common in older females, especially those with this hindquarters condition. Antibiotics stopped the leaking within a couple of days, and that was a few months ago. Now we have developed the more serious issue of sometimes being incontinent with bowel movements and yet not wanting to squat. I'm reading up on that and is why I joined this forum. I have been told there is medication that will strengthen muscles for bladder control and wondering if it will also help with the other. So far, just trying to preserve her dignity, make sure we get her out at the times needed, and keep the bed and blanket clean for her. Not ready for diapers.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM

"Hopes," if you ever check this board any more, thank you for posting this 2012 update, which I am just now seeing as a new member. All I can say is that I'm so sorry for your loss, which I know we will be facing soon. Please know that you and your dog's strength and courage as shown in your postings are still helping others dealing with the same issues.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Sorry about your pup. I deleted the other post because I had not read through the thread for updates. Sorry again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs