Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,239,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Please don't take this as I am telling what to do or assuming you haven't already had the same thoughts but what helped me was to think of a symptom like this as a wake up call that time together is limited and to make the most of it! Treat him like a king so the thought of how you helped in his last days will help you when it really is the end.
Thanks, talloolla! That's what I'm doing for a year. We make sure he gets to do everything he loves. He adores short car rides. I pick him up, put him in and drive him to the convenience store with me. He loves it. And I carry him up the stairs so he can be part of the pack. He rests his head on my lap when we're on the sofa. I lay down on his dog bed and hang out with him. Last night really kicked me into high gear. I know I won't have any regrets about not doing enough for him.

Hey, the good news is he pooped outside this morning. I really think we just need to be more attentive to ensuring he has enough opportunities. The normal schedule isn't working so it's just time to change the schedule and be more aware of if he accomplishes his goals outside so we can make sure he gets outside as much as possible until he does. The few times he had an accident in the other room, he wasn't taken out late at night before bedtime. This really is more about us needing to step up our game then him going downhill. Of 16 years of being a faithful companion, five accidents isn't an end game for me.

My sister had a ****zu that became completely paralyzed one day for no reason. It was young, like 5 years old. Everyone said she should put her to sleep. She said no way. She wouldn't put her MIL to sleep if she became disabled, she certainly wouldn't put her dog to sleep. This dog dragged his back end around for three years, still very active and happy as could be. My sister would take her outside on a schedule and manipulate her legs so she could do her business. After three years, the dog started walking again like she was never paralyzed. Hasn't had problems since. She's 14 now.

I'm fully prepared to do what's necessary when it's time. What each person constitutes as "it's time" is different. Last year, I thought it was time. There was no way I was going to force him to suffer if he couldn't walk. And I'm glad I trusted the vet. It was only a few weeks of not walking. Just imagine if I had put him to sleep! He has been with us for a whole year since then! And he's active and alert and happy. I'm glad I didn't take him too soon. His day is coming. That's for sure. But today is not that day. He's bumming food off DH right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,409,496 times
I agree that it is most likely a deterioating spine problem.
we went thru excactly the same thing with our 14 year old
large mutt.

it hurts for the dog to squat so he holds it in, relaxes while sleeping and
you have poop.
our dog would poop as he walked along outside, poor thing,
he was otherwise fine.
we confined our dog to a tiled area at nite and he lived with us for
a good while like that.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,464,342 times
Hopes, you have a very lucky dog to be so well-loved. I'm glad your plan for the pooping seems to be working.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I agree that it is most likely a deterioating spine problem.
we went thru excactly the same thing with our 14 year old
large mutt.

it hurts for the dog to squat so he holds it in, relaxes while sleeping and
you have poop.
our dog would poop as he walked along outside, poor thing,
he was otherwise fine.
we confined our dog to a tiled area at nite and he lived with us for
a good while like that.
You described my dog perfectly and much more concisely! He squats sometimes but he'd prefer to poop while walking, sort of bow legged walking. I think he holds it in until it's forceful enough that he CAN poop walking.

If we don't make ourselves aware that he hasn't pooped that evening, he has it in his system when we're sleeping. The first times he was able to get up, but couldn't alert us because we sleep upstairs and he was downstairs. I have since started carrying him upstairs with us so we can hear him when he wakes up in the middle of the ngiht. I think we can limit this by being more attentive. If not, he can sleep on his dog bed in the kitchen.

It's certainly no reason to end his life at this point. Someday soon, I'm sure. I won't delay when it's time. I didn't delay with my peekapoo. I picked her up and took her straight to the vet's house, on a Holiday like labor or memorial day or the fourth of july. They were grilling outside. I paid a higher fee to have him open the office. I don't fool around when it's time.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,283,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know what to think. My old lab has been having some accidents in the house, probably five accidents over the past few months. Sometimes I hear him pacing frantically. If I don't get down there immediately, he has an accident. But it seems that he won't go #2 unless he absolutely has to go, like an intense urge to go. It seems to me like he's holding it in, like he'd just rather not do it, until he can't avoid doing it. And because of that sometimes he can't get outside fast enough.

Today, I just had him outside before leaving for a quick run to the store. I was only gone 15 minutes. I come back and find him laying on his dog bed with his poop. WITH. He could have layed anywhere else. I wonder if he's pooping while laying down.

Hubby says that it's taking him a very long time to poop outside. I'm wondering. Is it because it hurts him too much to squat? I saw his legs almost give out on him when stood back up from peeing spread eagle today. If he can get away with it, he likes to poop while walking these days, literally without squatting. But sometimes he still does an outright squat.

Is he afraid to poop? That's what I'm suspecting. I told hubby that I think we should stand outside with him, instead of just letting him out. He is insecure when we're not around because he knows he can rely on us to help him if something happens. Do you think staying next to him while outside would give him the courage to poop on his typical schedule? Maybe he's trying to avoid the cold weather due to his arthritis.

It just broke my heart to find him laying with his turds. I told him to stay because I was afraid he'd step in it if he stood up. He patiently waited for me to clean it up. He's such a good, sweet dog.

He's still so happy. He's still so alert. He has his smell, his hearing and his eyesight is good except for his night vision. It's not time. I'm just wondering how we can better help him overcome this poop delema he has. Diapers would humiliate him. Not an option. He deserves his dignity. Having accidents is one thing but a diaper woud destroy him.
I honestly tried to offer an opinion, and sympathy. Based on your original post, all of us have. I hope your dog has a long healthy life. all the best, in kindness only

Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,900,821 times
it definaty sounds like "sleep pooping" and very normal for a dog of his advanced age...he probbaly wasnt even aware it was there...or if he was was probably quite confused.

id persoanlly get him a senior check up if he hasnt had one this year, and just resort to taking him out more frequently. it also might be worth taking his food up a little earlier in the evenings so hell go potty before bed and will have clear bowls for the overnight so he doesnt have to worry about it.

sounds liek hes in good hands.

your vet also might be able to give him seomthing for his achey back and joints, or may suggest putting him on a baby asprin regime to help with the aches and creaks that old bones bring.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
it definaty sounds like "sleep pooping" and very normal for a dog of his advanced age...he probbaly wasnt even aware it was there...or if he was was probably quite confused.
I agree, I don't think he was aware. When I came home, he woke up and was happy to see me, wagging his tail, not taking his eyes off me, greeting me. I saw the poop and told him to say, like I do when I plan to go pet him and I don't want him to bother getting up. He didn't notice until I came with the paper towel and picked themup.

Quote:
id persoanlly get him a senior check up if he hasnt had one this year, and just resort to taking him out more frequently. it also might be worth taking his food up a little earlier in the evenings so hell go potty before bed and will have clear bowls for the overnight so he doesnt have to worry about it.
He saw the vet two months ago. I talked to the vet this AM. He doesn't need to be seen. We don't keep food out all day. We feed the dogs at 7am and 5pm. We take them out constantly in the evening. The biggest problem is we have't paid attention to if he and when he was pooping. For all we know, most times he's pooping at 7pm. If we notice that he hasn't pooped, we'll do our best to clear his bowels before bed by going out more often or staying out longer. He likes going out and coming right back in. He doesn't like to spend time outside much, especially now that it's colder.

Quote:
your vet also might be able to give him seomthing for his achey back and joints, or may suggest putting him on a baby asprin regime to help with the aches and creaks that old bones bring.
He's on Deramaxx. I swear it's a miracle drug. If it hadn't been for Deramaxx he would have been PTS a year ago.

Last edited by Hopes; 01-02-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,505,757 times
I think the idea of putting my dog down for incontinence is simply cruel and awful.
There are so many other avenues to explore first.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,110,869 times
Oh, Hopes, big hugs to you. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this crappy stuff (every pun intended, just to make you smile).

I think that you got a couple of responses from people who don't know you, who don't know how much you adore your dogs. I'm sorry... that must have made you feel worse about the situation.

I'm glad that you seem to have gotten to the bottom of it (OK, I didn't even plan on that pun!!!!) and that you're feeling like you're on steadier ground with this whole thing.

More big hugs to you. I hope you and your old lovey have a wonderful 2012 together.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,541,633 times
Hopes, thanks for sharing your experience and your love. Two of our large breed mixes are 7 y/o and I would love for them to see 17 y/o! I like to read what people on CD share so that I can be a better dog parent through others experiences. I worry about our gang's senior years and what they may bring, but I have to quickly shut those thoughts down and focus on the now. Continue giving that lucky baby all that spoiled love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs