Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,195 times

Advertisements

Hi just to update unfortunataly we had to say goodby to Tia probably the hardest thing you ever have to do for your dog but for anyone who is geting close to this time you have to think of your pet and not yourself my vet offers steroids to boost her up but when my normal vet came in she new the dog new us and new it was time and yes I sat on the floor held her and fed her and blubber my eyes out till she fell asleep and yes I will always miss her and my heart goes out to you all xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
I saw your posts just now. I'll respond tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,990 times
Walk him. That will help his bowels move. Even 1/2 way down the street and back.

Sometimes old dogs get constipated and don't drink enough water. If his poop is very hard and dry, add water to his food. Try adding small amounts of Benefiber too. Give yogurt or probiotics. Give fish oil. Do things one at a time otherwise you might have diarrhea in the house.

Review any pain meds with vet. Some pain meds effect cognitive behavior and sensations change.

Go out with your dog. His eyesight, sense of smell or hearing may be poor and he is frightened to be outside, especially at night. Use a flashlight at night.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,911 times
Hopes, I have not yet read any of the responses to this post yet, but I for sure am going to as my dog does the same thing, well, he seems to hold it, not wanting to go, then when he is walking he begins to poo. I tell him, "stop walking, take a break and go poo" He will go to the door and a few times, has started to go as soon as he starts walking.

I am concerned there may be something causing him pain, but his bowels are normal, just that he seems to hold it until he can't anymore. No accidents at night, or even during day, just sometimes when he gets up to walk to the door. I can touch and rub his abdomen, no obvious problems..

So, with that, I am for sure going to read the 5 pages of responses.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
Hopes, I have not yet read any of the responses to this post yet, but I for sure am going to as my dog does the same thing, well, he seems to hold it, not wanting to go, then when he is walking he begins to poo. I tell him, "stop walking, take a break and go poo" He will go to the door and a few times, has started to go as soon as he starts walking.

I am concerned there may be something causing him pain, but his bowels are normal, just that he seems to hold it until he can't anymore. No accidents at night, or even during day, just sometimes when he gets up to walk to the door. I can touch and rub his abdomen, no obvious problems..

So, with that, I am for sure going to read the 5 pages of responses.
It turned out arthritis made it painful for him to squat. That's why he was walking and pooping. If we didn't stay out long enough for him to walk a poop out of himself, he wasn't getting a chance to eliminate as often as he needed. That's what caused him to have some accidents in the house. Once we realized he couldn't force it out via squatting because squatting hurt, we spent more time outside in the yard letting him take his time walking around until he had a chance to poop.

Good luck with your old pup!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since we're at the end of life, we'd definitely try it for quality of life. He's on Demarexx and it has similar risks. He has to have blood work done twice a year. I think it's silly to require the blood tests in an older dog. He's going to die one way or another. The medicine is just to give him quality of life so he can live longer. If he didn't take Demerexx, he would have been put to sleep a year ago. If Demorexx causes liver failure, he'll be put to sleep but he lives an extra year longer.

I'm nervous about that but I might try it. The last thing I need is diarrhea. Maybe if I slowly add a vegetable, the diet transition will be "uneventful."
a few spoons of canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, will soften stool without causing diarrhea.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It turned out arthritis made it painful for him to squat. That's why he was walking and pooping. If we didn't stay out long enough for him to walk a poop out of himself, he wasn't getting a chance to eliminate as often as he needed. That's what caused him to have some accidents in the house. Once we realized he couldn't force it out via squatting because squatting hurt, we spent more time outside in the yard letting him take his time walking around until he had a chance to poop.

Good luck with your old pup!
We were walking on a small hill the other day, he was doing the walking and pooing, poor guy, he finally stopped and lost his balance and sat down right in his pile.

I got the "helping him on the back end" down, so I just helped him up quickly and he was off to catch the other dog. lol.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM

857 posts, read 2,218,660 times
A lot of posts,I couldn't read them all.
Our old girl has accidents and her back legs are weak,She can hold her pee but has poop accidents.

Vet says she has arthritis,so we have her on pain management.

She gets a shot once a month/ which at the beginning she went every week for a shot for 6 weeks and now once a month and also gets metacam once a day.This is a liquid,we just couldn't get her to take pills,so this is the route we took.

I hope you are able to provide your dog with pain control,othrwise life for your dog is one of pain,even if he doesn't show it.

Good Luck.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
a few spoons of canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, will soften stool without causing diarrhea.
He didn't need softened stools. He just needed more time because he couldn't squat. We put him to sleep a couple of years ago, but I still answer questions people have when the threads pop up.

Quote:
We were walking on a small hill the other day, he was doing the walking and pooing, poor guy, he finally stopped and lost his balance and sat down right in his pile.

I got the "helping him on the back end" down, so I just helped him up quickly and he was off to catch the other dog. lol.
They're so precious. I have other threads about physical therapy to keep the muscles strong. It's so important to keep them moving and still take them for walks---within their capabilities. We did short walks around the yard every few hours towards the end, just to get him up and keep him moving. Some people just start letting them spend their days laying around and their muscles get weaker and weaker. You're doing the right thing. They just need our help when they get old.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
A lot of posts,I couldn't read them all.
Our old girl has accidents and her back legs are weak,She can hold her pee but has poop accidents.

Vet says she has arthritis,so we have her on pain management.

She gets a shot once a month/ which at the beginning she went every week for a shot for 6 weeks and now once a month and also gets metacam once a day.This is a liquid,we just couldn't get her to take pills,so this is the route we took.

I hope you are able to provide your dog with pain control,othrwise life for your dog is one of pain,even if he doesn't show it.

Good Luck.
We did medication too. He had no problems taking pills. We just put them in food of some sort. It does make a big difference. Sometimes, though, he'd take off running like he was a young buck and fall because he was feeling better than his body's capabilities. Ah, he was such a great dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs