Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 8,231 times

Advertisements

I lost my Doberman, Autumn today to heart failure. Not sure exactly how old she was because she was a 'rescue,' but probably 12-14 years old.

Autumn had no health issues until this May, when after chasing a rabbit in the yard seemed to collapse. After a brief rest she appeared to be okay, but we took her to the vet out of concern it might be something serious. It was. The vet confirmed Autumn had advanced heart disease/failure and put her on a number of meds including lasix and enalapril. The vet told us that her condition was not curable, only 'treatable,' but avoided giving us a firm timetable as to how long she might live.

As her condition worsened, her abdomen began to swell from fluid build up, and we began regular 'belly taps.' She was also prescribed Vetmedin, which seemed to help a lot. Autumn was very weak after the drainings but got her strength back after a couple of days.

Her appetite remained good, and for the most part, she was able to hold her bladder until we let her out to go (she was primarily and 'inside' pet). She never developed the severe, persistent cough the vet warned us might set it, so we thought she was managing reasonably well with the meds and regular fluid draining.

Though I remained optimistic, and grateful for every day Autumn had what appeared to be a good 'quality of life,' I knew the end could come at any time. I feared the onset of the cough and oxygen deprivation as I knew that would be the time a decision to 'put her down' would have to be made. I have owned five Dobermans over the past 27 years, and Autumn was by far the healthiest and longest-lived.

She seemed to be acting normally just before I went to bed, and enjoyed a couple of dog treats after her evening meal. I had let her out to go to the bathroom a couple hours earlier and she picked up one of her favorite toys from the yard and brought it into the house. This morning I found her on the floor of the bedroom, laying in a typical 'sleeping position.' She had expired.

I am devastated at losing her. I tried to prepare for this day, and knew it would come, but there is simply no way to avoid the grief and enormity of the loss.

I'm glad at least that she went quickly and quietly, and it doesn't appear she suffered. It was all very quick. I'm thankful that she didn't have to suffer the coughing and oxygen deprivation, and up until the very end she was alert and mobile.

The two vets that treated her were wonderful; compassionate, patient and competent, and spared me the expense of many expensive tests that were pretty much unnecessary given the obvious signs of Autumn's disease. These vets were 'country doctors' of a sort ... down to earth and experienced, but practical, and not hell-bent on racking up fees for questionable tests that would likely have revealed what they already instinctively knew.

We will miss Autumn greatly, and she will always be in our hearts. She was loyal, kind, gentle, smart, and oh so very brave.

My heart goes out to those of you who have had similar experiences. No one knows what it's like to love a four-legged family member like we do until they experience it personally. I believe that quality of life is the most important factor. I was fortunate to not have to decide 'when.' The decision was made for me. Letting go is the hardest thing to do, but if you truly love your pet, you will know when it's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 PM

3,471 posts, read 7,267,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn's dad View Post
I lost my Doberman, Autumn today to heart failure. Not sure exactly how old she was because she was a 'rescue,' but probably 12-14 years old.

Autumn had no health issues until this May, when after chasing a rabbit in the yard seemed to collapse. After a brief rest she appeared to be okay, but we took her to the vet out of concern it might be something serious. It was. The vet confirmed Autumn had advanced heart disease/failure and put her on a number of meds including lasix and enalapril. The vet told us that her condition was not curable, only 'treatable,' but avoided giving us a firm timetable as to how long she might live.

As her condition worsened, her abdomen began to swell from fluid build up, and we began regular 'belly taps.' She was also prescribed Vetmedin, which seemed to help a lot. Autumn was very weak after the drainings but got her strength back after a couple of days.

Her appetite remained good, and for the most part, she was able to hold her bladder until we let her out to go (she was primarily and 'inside' pet). She never developed the severe, persistent cough the vet warned us might set it, so we thought she was managing reasonably well with the meds and regular fluid draining.

Though I remained optimistic, and grateful for every day Autumn had what appeared to be a good 'quality of life,' I knew the end could come at any time. I feared the onset of the cough and oxygen deprivation as I knew that would be the time a decision to 'put her down' would have to be made. I have owned five Dobermans over the past 27 years, and Autumn was by far the healthiest and longest-lived.

She seemed to be acting normally just before I went to bed, and enjoyed a couple of dog treats after her evening meal. I had let her out to go to the bathroom a couple hours earlier and she picked up one of her favorite toys from the yard and brought it into the house. This morning I found her on the floor of the bedroom, laying in a typical 'sleeping position.' She had expired.

I am devastated at losing her. I tried to prepare for this day, and knew it would come, but there is simply no way to avoid the grief and enormity of the loss.

I'm glad at least that she went quickly and quietly, and it doesn't appear she suffered. It was all very quick. I'm thankful that she didn't have to suffer the coughing and oxygen deprivation, and up until the very end she was alert and mobile.

The two vets that treated her were wonderful; compassionate, patient and competent, and spared me the expense of many expensive tests that were pretty much unnecessary given the obvious signs of Autumn's disease. These vets were 'country doctors' of a sort ... down to earth and experienced, but practical, and not hell-bent on racking up fees for questionable tests that would likely have revealed what they already instinctively knew.

We will miss Autumn greatly, and she will always be in our hearts. She was loyal, kind, gentle, smart, and oh so very brave.

My heart goes out to those of you who have had similar experiences. No one knows what it's like to love a four-legged family member like we do until they experience it personally. I believe that quality of life is the most important factor. I was fortunate to not have to decide 'when.' The decision was made for me. Letting go is the hardest thing to do, but if you truly love your pet, you will know when it's time.

I feel so sorry for you. It's always hard to lose a dear friend.We will probably have to face a similar loss in a month or two. I'm dreading the time. He is not quite being spoiled yet, but close...

Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 PM

811 posts, read 1,562,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn's dad View Post

I am so sorry for your loss. I know you must be heartbroken.

It sounds so similar to what just happened to us. I was dreading the day we would have to make that awful decision but our boy, being the gentleman he always was, spared us that. He too looked like he was sleeping when I found him. He slept in the room with us and we heard nothing in the night so take comfort that it was very quick. He hasn't been gone 48 hours and I am a complete mess. We have had quite a few dogs in our life and we have loved them all without exception but this wonderful, beautiful, gentle soul was my heart and it is so terribly hard.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 AM

49 posts, read 81,276 times
Hi. My 14yr old dachshund was just diagnosed with CHF. He was 100% healthy for 14 years. Had a bit of a cough with a little gag at the end. Took him to his vet and did some xrays. Heart looked big on the xrays but she said in measurement it is still within normal range. Arteries were clear, lungs clear.. She put him on an antibiotic cycle. He was still very active and playing everyday. One night he was full of energy and we went to bed, Two hours later he wanted to go outside and then just stood there like he was in shock and wouldn’t walk ten feet. Next day got a fever, threw up twice and slept all day and turned his nose to water or food. Took him to the vets first thing in the AM, Doc did more xrays and just didn’t know what to say as his heart was still within range. Put him on and IV and pain meds in case. Had to spend the night at the ER Hospital where they said his heart seemed enlarged. Put him on Lasix, Vetmedin, and Enalapril. Was given the option to transfer him again to do more tests to confirm the CHF but I didn’t want to put him through even more as he was not himself anymore.

Brought him home and have been getting him his meds and A/D food via a syringe. It’s been 6 days since the “heart attack” of sorts but he is still lethargic and won’t eat on his own. Walks a bit and drinks water and breathing is fine but other than that he is just hanging out. Going to the vets today to ask the tough question such as what is the game plan? I don’t want him to get to the suffering point. He has been a wonder dog and my best friend since I got him @ 7 Weeks old. If it is his time I hope to enjoy a few more days with him but refuse to let him suffer.

I don’t think there was anything that could have been done to prevent this. I don’t want to hold any anger at the vet for not suggesting this a month ago when he had the cough but still must wonder why. It has been a learning experience that will help when a new Pal finds me one day.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,017 times
I,m sorry for all the canine angels we loose. My dog is hyperventilating and restless as I lay on the floor with him. Pray for him please

Old 10-02-2014, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 23,865 times
I had to say goodbye to my Pom Dutchess a week ago. She came to the door to greet me and had a seizure or syncope right after. When I rushed her to her vet for 15 years, her tongue was purple and she was trying so hard to breath. We did an xray and she also had cancer that I never knew about. She also had slight kidney failure. I loved her more than life itself, and I know dogs have a way of not showing their illnesses so I turned to my vet for the truth. He said he could do all kinds of things to give "me" a little more time with her but he couldnt promise that she wouldn't get worse overnight. I asked what he would do if she was his and he told me he would give her the ultimate gift, so I did. He knew her for 15 years and he knew what she would be facing. Although I know I did the best for her, the what ifs are killing me! My question is, do you wait till you think theyre almost ill enough... or do you do what I did and live with guilt. Money was not an issue, I would give my life for her, it was what she might go through that made me decide. I want to just die without my baby girl, life is hard without her.. she has my heart and soul, If anyone has any help by clearing my questiin of wether I did the right thing... I would appreciate your help.

Last edited by NancyLeeHerrera; 10-02-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 07:02 PM

I forgot to tell you my pomeranian Dutchess had CHF from faulty valves and an enlarged heart. She was on 3 meds... she was coughing a bit and was diagnosed like 8 months prior to this second episode...

Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Just look at my post and youll feel better dear

Old 10-03-2014, 09:47 AM

857 posts, read 2,221,796 times
So sorry for everyone and their losses.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,908 times
My dog was diagnosed Tuesday with a heart murmur and CHF. He had to see a different vet in the same clinic as his usual vet because she was not there that day. She did not put him on medication because his BUN was only slightly elevated and his heart mildly enlarged. 2 days later he was on his side with a fainting spell, took him back to the vet, this time he saw his regular vet and she said his heart murmur is now loud and he has had 1 other episode of fainting but not as severe as the first. Is is normal for a healthy Bichon (he is 16) to go from completely normal to this so suddenly. I am both confused and devastated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs