Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,196,769 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your loss.

I know it hurts but you did the right thing.

It's a hard to put a beloved member of the family down.

But you know all the drugs, having fluid drained ect ect, the vet was doing wasn't going to heal your loved one, it was giving you the time to say good by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,987,901 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 PM

332 posts, read 500,233 times
I'm very sorry for your loss. It shows how much you really love them when you won't let them suffer.

They touch our hearts, but they break them when they go. That's the price we pay for such unconditional love.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,271,462 times
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is to lose a furbaby. Just know you did the right thing for her.
I like many others here have asked 'How do you know when it is time?' everyone said 'You will know'. They were right, like you knew it was time.

You can post a memorial on the Rainbow Bridge forum. She will be waiting for you there

Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 29,303 times
My Gismo is 12yrs and on Sunday morning he was having problems breathing. He had never been sick before. He is 4lbs. I gave him some baby asprin and his breathing slow down. He was around 79 beats/per min. I got on the com****r and try to find out what it might be. Before I knew it his heartbeat was very fast and breathing was differcult. I took him to the Vet. and was told he might not live. The first thing was oxygen and then meds for fluid in his lungs. And then more meds to help his heart beat slower. He came home Monday and saving his life cost $1500.00. I also found out he has only 6mos. to live. He has congestive heart failure cause from lack of dental work. The infection got into his blood and damage his heart and left valve. This is the #1 cause of death in small and medium dogs. If only I could have a do/over and taking him to the vet to check his teeth. I didn't know and I had always put drops in his water for the cleaning of his teeth and taking care of what he ate! For me the money was worth it to have time to say goodby. I have found all the meds online and u don't need a perscription. I found that the Clavamox(amoxicillin) for the infection needs a perscription unless you get it online in Canada. The meds can cause constipation and the use of 100% coconut oil will help. Also pedlite for babies will help with energy. I decided that I had to be pro/active to keep me from crying all the time. The vet wants him back this week for more tests, but I feel what good will that due since he can't be repair and the money will not keep him alive. I also have his sister to think about since it will most likely be the same. Do what you need to, but have a plan! My heart is broken I love him so!!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 19,957 times
My 12 yr maltese was diagnosed several years ago w/an enlarged heart. She has been doing great-no problems, until 1day ago when she seemed agitated, would not eat or drink. All very unlike her. Today is day 2 and she drank some water but wants to sleep continuously. I am so afraid that I may be looking at few days left w/my sweet, precious Mollye who has
been a joy from day one. Not a barker, never chewed up anything, never was a begger and truly looks like an adorable
stuffed toy. I love her so much & can't imagine days without her. A little prayer would be so appreciated.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 19,804 times
I just had to say good bye to my beloved pet his name was Rex he was14 and it broke my heart. he showed no signs of being ill untill 2 weeks ago. and not even bad signs till 4 days ago. I was shocked when his DR. told me what he had. I always kept up with his shots and got careless with heart worm medicine. I hate myself for this! I feel like it was my fault. the DR. said not to feel that way. it might not be from that you loved him for 14 years he was old couldnt hear so needless to say I will never miss one mo. on heartworm medicine again when Iam ready for another dog again. I have lost my friend my child my heart is broken. Suzy

Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 19,599 times
I have an eleven year old Beagle who was just diagnosed. His symptom was a pronounced cough, but he doesn't cough while he is on his daily walk. Also, he is very energetic during his walks and I have to walk fast to keep up. He shows no signs of illness except the cough which is a surprise since he has congestive heart failure. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 19,271 times
Default new to us

Our basset hound Sebastian (10 yrs old) started coughing a few weeks ago. At first we thought he has a cold or maybe kennel cough. Took him to the vet as the coughing was so bad on a Saturday morning that just walking made him cough. The vet took xrays, fluid in both lungs, put Sebastian on water pill/antibiotics, figuring lung infection. They did blood work for heart disease and this didnt show any signs of that. The antibiotics were finished last Thursday, May 23 and he started getting sick again Sunday, really not wanting to eat. We made him scrambled eggs and he seemed to like those, but we were awake with him Sunday night and I was home with him yesterday. Can hear alot of gurgling in his chest. Back to the vet yesterday and they have put him back on antibiotics/water pills with xrays to come on Thursday again, the vet said if there is no improvement in the next couple of days, they are considering the heart meds. After reading all the messages here about congestive heart failure with dogs, this has been my concern from the get go from the research I have done. He has been very fussy with eating, not wanting to eat even and not even wanting his favorite biscuits. Wow, this has been so stressful, the not knowing what the heck is going on and what to do next. I am concerned from what I am reading here that this could be the route we are headed or already there.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,991,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn/Sebastian View Post
Our basset hound Sebastian (10 yrs old) started coughing a few weeks ago. At first we thought he has a cold or maybe kennel cough. Took him to the vet as the coughing was so bad on a Saturday morning that just walking made him cough. The vet took xrays, fluid in both lungs, put Sebastian on water pill/antibiotics, figuring lung infection. They did blood work for heart disease and this didnt show any signs of that. The antibiotics were finished last Thursday, May 23 and he started getting sick again Sunday, really not wanting to eat. We made him scrambled eggs and he seemed to like those, but we were awake with him Sunday night and I was home with him yesterday. Can hear alot of gurgling in his chest. Back to the vet yesterday and they have put him back on antibiotics/water pills with xrays to come on Thursday again, the vet said if there is no improvement in the next couple of days, they are considering the heart meds. After reading all the messages here about congestive heart failure with dogs, this has been my concern from the get go from the research I have done. He has been very fussy with eating, not wanting to eat even and not even wanting his favorite biscuits. Wow, this has been so stressful, the not knowing what the heck is going on and what to do next. I am concerned from what I am reading here that this could be the route we are headed or already there.
I know how worried you must be, has your dog had a ECG or Echo test? I know those tests are expensive tho, my dog had something done where she stayed overnight at the vets and info was transmitted somewhere and the report came back to my vet. This was about 5 yrs ago so I think that test would be more advanced now.

My dog started out on Lasix, we quit that & started her on enalapril , the dosage was too high at first as she coughed more & was decreased to a really small dose The enalapril helps also if there is a problem with the kidneys. My dog was 11 at diagnosis, she was on the enalapril for 3 yrs, she did well at first tho there were times she would cough more from the med and we would give it to her every other day. I believe coughing is a side effect of enalapril.

She lived for 3 more years was happy, I had to put her down due to her back legs giving out, she was 14 yrs then. It seems most of the dogs I had usually had the back legs giving out which happens as they age.

I hope this helps a little, I'd try the enalapril alone without the Lasix, Lasix can make humans feel unwell, I know Lasix does cause leg cramps. This is a video about canine heart disease.

Heart Problems in Dogs - The Pet Wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs