Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,442 times

Advertisements

I have a 14 year old minpin been diagnosed with congested heart failure and a collapse trickier throat,he's on Lasik 2 in the morning 2 at night also hydrocodone pills and he takes meds for muscle spasms,he drinks allot of water I'm having a hard time getting him to eat iv bought every type of canned dogfood I can find and I cook him all kinds of different foods he eats very little if anything,any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times
I had to put down my 14-year-old long-coat chihuahua last Sunday (April 14, 2019). One of the worst days of my life. I am still crushed, as I write this five days later. She was a great dog: loyal, gentle, well-behaved, noble, and beautiful. My wife took great care of her; people still thought she was a puppy when we took her for walks.

She was diagnosed with a heart murmur several years ago and had no issues until about a year ago when she started gagging and coughing a lot. X-rays were taken and she was diagnosed with a collapsing trachea and CHF. She started Vetmedin and diuretics. We also switched to a low salt high quality dog food and added krill oil to her diet. She did fairly well but the coughing increased about a month ago, and last weekend she fainted twice. She was clearly in distress Sunday AM; her tongue had become a bit purplish and she was restless and not eating or drinking as she did normally. Of course as fate would have it her regular vet was booked solid, so we took her to another one.
The vet pretty much threw his hands up in the air and said there was nothing he could do-we should consider euthanasia.

We knew this would happen "some day" but didn't expect it then...she looked healthy and happy and was eating fine until that weekend.

My wife, 12-year-old daughter, and I needed some time, so we all went back to our car in a state of disbelief and balled our eyes out at the prospect (no, even as a 55 year old, 230 lb. powerlifter I am not ashamed I cried). This dog meant the world to us: a true friend that was always there - faithful and loving - and asked for so little in return. The decision was made that this, sadly, was the right time, before things escalated even more.

She was surrounded by us till the end, and her last view of this world was the three of us with our hands on her, looking into her eyes and telling her how much she will be missed.

I am wracked by guilt that I couldn't have done more to help her hold on a little longer. Maybe another vet would have suggested draining her lungs to give her more time, something I didn't think of on that day. But then I read others' comments on here that this is only a stop-gap solution...there is no cure, as we know.

Still...

To a non-dog lover it may seem silly to mourn the loss of a 14-year-old chihuahua, but I can tell you our home feels so empty now, and we really, really miss this gentle soul.

Anyway... I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,442 times
So sorry for your lost ��

Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
Unhappy My little angel

I went to the vet last summer for an issue my dog was having and that day the vet told me she has a heart murmur. I was told I could get tests done for her and start her on medications. She didn't like going to the vet so I didn't want to put her through stress and pills. It's hard to write this without tearing up. She was doing fine without medications, enjoyed her long walks with no problems and even ate with such an appetite.
In January I saw her wanting to grab a toy and hump it to have some fun. I didn't think what it would do to her and I wanted to help her out. I gave her my arm, so that she could have some fun. Reading about fluid in the lungs I think I caused the fluid to build up. Because of my stupid careless idea she got fluid in her lungs and it eventually took her away from us. I can't help but feel a burden on my heart that I took her life away. She could have lived a longer life and could have passed away in her sleep. Since the day that happened it took her a week to get worse. Her last day she suffered a lot with trying to breathe and was constantly trying to cough up water. Even though she was with us all when she passed, I still feel I took her life away from her. I wish I could go back in time and avoid this situation. I miss her so much everyday and knowing I was the one who took her life is killing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs