Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:56 AM

5 posts, read 40,179 times

Advertisements

Time to put the animal down! Sorry to hear about your dog and getting another will reinstate that smile on your face once again. The good memories you had with your old friend will not be forgotten by your new friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 15,230 times
Default RE: Congestive Heart Failure in dogs (how long did yours live after diagnosis)?

I buried my buddy yesterday, he was diagnosed with CHD about a month ago. Bud was 13yrs old. At first we started to notice his breathing was getting harder... we really did'nt take any notice of it because he has had regular yearly exams. The day we took him to the Vet he was having problems... the vet put him on oxygen, xrays showed that he had fluid build up in the lungs.. and he had a heart murmur. The excess fluid in the lungs pushes up against the heart, making it harder for them to get enough oxygen into the system. They gave him a shot of lasix and then he went on meds... Vetmedin, fusemide (??) and lasix.. twice a day. After about a week on those he seemed to perk up. He was fine for about 4 weeks after that. One nite he started vomiting uncontrollibly, by the following morning I rushed him back to the vet... but he was going down hill fast... he died in my arms about 48 hrs later. We did everything we could.. money was no object... in the end when it is time, it is time. I'm thankful we have a great Vet with a great staff... Island Animal Hospital on Merrit Island... I can't say enough.
I've read where dogs (maltese) can go on for years after a diagnosis of CHD.... I was so hopeful...
I would just say to anyone reading this, enjoy your time together, cherish everyday. They will let you know when its time to go.... and just love them when they do.. we humans should be so lucky...

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 15,097 times
My Millie, a rescue lurcher, is 14, diagnosed with CHD in April but I think she had it six months earlier and it just wasn't diagnosed (instead they removed her spleen which makes the CHD worse because she hasn't the organ to store blood). Anyway, she wasn't great really until June when she perked up. She's on Fortekor, Vetmedin and Lasix twice a day. Twice in those months she's had a steroid injection when she drooped and wouldn't eat. They last about 6 days followed by a slump followed by a bit of normality. But lately she has refused point blank to take her tabs and her appetite is erratic...she smells the tabs in everything so the Vet has said 'the pills are the most important thing' and I can put them in ice cream or peanut butter or chicken which seems to be working. This week she's a bit low but she can still walk up stairs and likes to go out in the car. She can't really go on walks but is happy going around the house. Some days she's really perky and others, like today, she's in the dumps. I suppose I am looking for signs of when he quality of life diminishes so far euthanasia is required. Her breathing is mostly okay (between 16 and 18 per minute) and her gums return to red quite quickly after pressing. She has a murmur but no build up of fluid in her tummy (I hear the odd cough now but before the meds she coughed more)...from what I am reading, serious vomitting seems to be the final sign although the Vet said if she won't move off her bed or can't make it up the stairs, it's time to begin thinking about it. Just curious if anyone else could point to other signs?

Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 14,989 times
How do we know it's time to let go, when they are still enjoying some aspects of life? My boy is starting to go down hill and time between chest taps is decreasing, but he still eats, loves to walk although becoming more difficult, and still plays from time to time. While I don't want to rob him of any of those joys, I don't want him to suffer and I worry that he's not telling me how much he may be. He's only 4 and was diagnosed 6months ago.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 14,836 times
My Spaniel is 15 1/2 much loved member of the family, we have promised we wont prolong his life for our benefit, no one wants to lose their pet but at the end of the day, the kindest thing you can do for your best friend is to give them a peaceful end before things get too bad. easy for me to say you ask? well the answer would be NO, we are soon going to be at that stage, he is developing heart failure and we are dreading the time when we make the decision,
He is a wonderful dog and i love him dearly and will miss him greatly but dont want him to become a shadow of a creature barely existing.... hope i have the courage
Louise, UK

Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 14,785 times
I am having a hard time determining whether I should be putting my 15 year old Maltese down...

She has had CHF for over 3 years now - great success with Fortikor, Vetmedin, Lasix and now Spironolactone...(Sp?).

The past year has been touch and go - she has really long periods of good days and then a bout of bad. She sleeps a lot and her little spine is hunched over - she has lost a lot of her balance and muscle mass because she doesn't move around much. She still loves to eat and does her business - mostly on pee pads in the house because of the meds.

I am so torn. When do you know when it's time? I love this little 5 pound rescue Maltese more than words can describe and I don't want to prolong any unnecessary suffering for her. Problem is, she's such a trooper and never shows any outward signs of pain or discomfort. I keep telling her to "go towards the light" every night before bed in hopes that I won't have to do it for her...so hard.

A recent development: she's been waking in the night and breathing through her nose quite strong - like she's trying to catch her breath but then she goes back to sleep no problem. Is this a sign that things are getting worse??

Any advice from those who have experienced CHF in their dogs would be greatly appreciated. Sniff

Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 39,145 times
My 11yr old American Eskimo was also diagnosed with congestive heart failure. My vet prescribed lasix 12.5mg. every 8 hrs., chlorpheniramine 4 mg. every 8-12 hrs., Enalapril maleate 5mg., theophyline 100mg. every 12 hrs. and vetmedin 5 mg. 1/4 in am and 1/2 in pm. and a cough
suppresant. He said there was nothing else he could do and that I should just prepare myself for the inevitabale. Baby has been my companion all these years and I am just devastated. She is having a harder time breathing, but when I take her out she stops. She breathes normally and enjoys walking. But when I come back into the house she starts with the labored breathing. Maybe she is allergic to something in the house. I realize I am picking at straws. I start to cry and pray when I see her that way. She is God's innocent creature and I wish He would stop her suffering and that she would go "like a bird". I realize I must sound ridiculous but I can't have her put to sleep when I see her feeling better and enjoying the outside. I completely understand how you must have felt.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 14,456 times
We just lost our beautiful Snickers at 3:30 a.m., 12/26/2013; she was 13 yrs old- she had been diagnosed with left sided congestive heart failure approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago, and her vet placed her on a diuretic, heart medication and high blood pressure medication - she seemed to be responding well to treatment and was acting like a puppy again..............on Christmas day, she seemed to be doing so well - she at her morning and evening meal, and shared in her Christmas treats - at 2:30 in the morning, she began to cough again and was experiencing heavy breathing - we called an emergency vet who advised us to bring her in to be checked - we arrived at the vet's office (we had some distance to travel) at 3:10 a.m., and she began to bleed from her mouth and nose - we knew that there was no hope, and we lost her at 3:30 - The vet that diagnosed her advised us that the medication may work for a few weeks, maybe six months, but he had never seen a dog last more than a year. I believe the vet was very honest with us, and I think he was hopeful that she would be with us through the holidays................my heart aches terribly for what our angel went through...........she was so loved and was the best companion ever.......I cry as I write this....................

Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 14,435 times
My prayers to everyone and your best friend. My Chihuahua best friend and my therapy for chronic pain has congestive heart disease with elevated liver enzymes. Enalapril and lasix and theophylline have gotten him.through five months now. His gums are pink and he eats and does have very happy days so please all I know we are all aware we live on borrowed time but keep your spirits and pets spirits positive. Be realistic... but have faith . My friends pug age 13 has been living well over 15 months now on these drugs. If you are reading this please say a prayer for me and Austin and all the loved pets...that we have the strength to compassionately care for illness and the strength to be happy while they are with us and after. Hugs to all. I will post any new info on vet. Do put your dog on liver support when diagnosed...I did not and the enzymes went up so please know right ventricle can cause added liver issues later

Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
My 13 year old Border Collie was on thyroid meds and Adenosyl for the past two years. She never had any symptoms of heart failure, then suddenly she lost her appetite and wouldn't eat for about 4 days. She got really thin and then I noticed her breathing was faster (through nose, not panting). I left her at the vet so they could do some tests and she died overnight. Heart failure is the only thing I think it could have been, because that's what I've been told her siblings died from, she was the longest living out of the whole litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs